After They Win It All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
So I'm a Colts fan and just wanted to have my dad, sister and I see Marvin, Peyton and Coach Dungy win the Superbowl. Two seasons ago we got to see that. It was great. Since then it feels like there is nothing more to gain. Then seeing Eli win one too added to that feeling. Now I'm just not excited about this upcoming season. I still love to talk about football and it is fun to watch but I'm just not excited anymore. Everything I wanted has happened.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with your favorite team or athlete?

To be honest, not really.

I'll use the Yankees as an example. I was 6 and 7 when they won the WS in 1977 and 1978, so I'll not use those years......but, in 1996, after a 15 year absence from the WS, the Yanks beat the Braves and I was lucky enough to attend Game 6. Hands down, the best sports moment of my life. And of course, at the time, I was prefectly satisfied, it was awesome....but, when the next season started, I wanted them to win another....and another.....I did not want them to turn into the Braves (which, ironically, they have turned into, basically), and I can honestly say that the 1998, 1999, 2000 stretch was the most amazing three year stretch I'll ever experience when it comes to sports....and, hell, 2001 was awesome, too, just ended with a horrid 9th inning loss in Game 7.

So, I cannot claim to have had a similar experience. I wonder, though, what Hewson or Phanan would say. The Sox went generations with a WS title, then had their amazing 2004 season....did they feel satisifed, or, did they thirst for more championships???

It's a little different for me. When the Red Sox won the World Series after all those years, there was a feeling of completion -- I've seen the Red Sox do it finally, I'm set. But that doesn't mean their next World Series win got old, or that I wouldn't want to see them do it again.

Same with the Patriots.

What I'd say is that it does reduce the sting if my team loses. Like last year, the Patriots loss in the SB hurt, but it would have hurt a great deal more if they didn't have the 3 previous SB wins.

And with Lance Armstrong, I always was on the edge of my seat hoping for a TDF win, even though he'd won several already. (In retrospect, I don't feel the same way because I now believe he was doping -- but that's another story.)

It's a little different for me. When the Red Sox won the World Series after all those years, there was a feeling of completion -- I've seen the Red Sox do it finally, I'm set. But that doesn't mean their next World Series win got old, or that I wouldn't want to see them do it again.

Same with the Patriots.

What I'd say is that it does reduce the sting if my team loses. Like last year, the Patriots loss in the SB hurt, but it would have hurt a great deal more if they didn't have the 3 previous SB wins.

Well, that's what's supposed to happen, anyway. If you listen to some of the people on Sons of Sam Horn, you'd never know that the Red Sox just won 2 World Series in 4 years.

You know what's funny? No Yankee loss bothers me more than Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. That might seem odd, since they'd just won the previous three World Series, but, I don't know.....4 in a row is really unique in sports, 2001 was that rare time when people were actually rooting for the Yanks due to 9/11....they had the two miracle wins in Games 4 and 5.....and I witnessed the Game 7 loss in person in Arizona, so that might have heightened my misery. Actually, no might about it, it definitely added to the whole shitty feeling.

So, while a lot of Yankee fans I know will point to the 2004 meltdown against Boston, 2001 bothers me a lot more.

And my overall point is that even after having 3 titles in a row, it was not gaining that 4th that stings the most.

I'll use the Yankees as an example. I was 6 and 7 when they won the WS in 1977 and 1978, so I'll not use those years......but, in 1996, after a 15 year absence from the WS, the Yanks beat the Braves and I was lucky enough to attend Game 6. Hands down, the best sports moment of my life. And of course, at the time, I was prefectly satisfied, it was awesome....but, when the next season started, I wanted them to win another....and another.....I did not want them to turn into the Braves (which, ironically, they have turned into, basically), and I can honestly say that the 1998, 1999, 2000 stretch was the most amazing three year stretch I'll ever experience when it comes to sports....and, hell, 2001 was awesome, too, just ended with a horrid 9th inning loss in Game 7.

So, I cannot claim to have had a similar experience. I wonder, though, what Hewson or Phanan would say. The Sox went generations with a WS title, then had their amazing 2004 season....did they feel satisifed, or, did they thirst for more championships???
I'm with you on this one...winning the previous year goes out the window as soon as the next season starts, I want my team to win every year...now I'm a realist and know this doesn't happen, but the goal is championship, and when the team is a true contender as the Pats and Sox have been for the better part of the past decade and the Celts suddenly are now, anything short of a title is slightly empty.

So I'm a Colts fan and just wanted to have my dad, sister and I see Marvin, Peyton and Coach Dungy win the Superbowl. Two seasons ago we got to see that. It was great. Since then it feels like there is nothing more to gain. Then seeing Eli win one too added to that feeling. Now I'm just not excited about this upcoming season. I still love to talk about football and it is fun to watch but I'm just not excited anymore. Everything I wanted has happened.

Nope.

The White Sox winning it all in '05 was unbelievably satisfying and it was the best moment of my sports-watching life but, god dammit, I still want them to win every single game and every single World Series.

I also go to witness my Bulls win 6 titles. 6 of 'em. And that privilege still didn't lead me to suffering the same fate as you, Screwtape. Sorry.

Not satisfied. I agree with your thoughts. The season is over, and when the next one starts again, it's a new beginning, no matter what has happened before. You want to win again. You look for further accomplishments for your team. Back to back titles, more records, a dynasty. You want it to go for as long as you can and enjoy the ride.

You know what's funny? No Yankee loss bothers me more than Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. That might seem odd, since they'd just won the previous three World Series, but, I don't know.....4 in a row is really unique in sports, 2001 was that rare time when people were actually rooting for the Yanks due to 9/11....they had the two miracle wins in Games 4 and 5.....and I witnessed the Game 7 loss in person in Arizona, so that might have heightened my misery. Actually, no might about it, it definitely added to the whole shitty feeling.

So, while a lot of Yankee fans I know will point to the 2004 meltdown against Boston, 2001 bothers me a lot more.

And my overall point is that even after having 3 titles in a row, it was not gaining that 4th that stings the most.

NSW, you better run and hide, because I know exactly what you're saying. That 2001 Game 7 loss for me was easily the most painful. My birthday is November 4th and the WS had never been played on that day, so it would've been extra sweet if the Yanks had won that one. Plus, the way they lost at the end with Mo on the mound really fuckin sucked. After that game, I didn't even discuss it too much. I just wanted to forget it happened. The Yanks were THIS close to winning their 4th WS in a row and the blasted D-Backs put the kabosh on that.

Every fan wants their team to win a championship. If you win a few, it can kind of take the sting out of the years when you don't. The Yanks made it to the WS 6 out of 8 seasons and won 4 of them. Not too bad. Yes, the Yanks haven't won a WS since 2000, but those recent championships have somewhat dulled the sting of painful exits in 2001 and 2004.

The New York Giants won the Super Bowl this season for the first time since the 1990 season. Hopefully Giants' fans won't have to wait 18 seasons for another. I'd love to see a repeat.

I can tell you that after '04 I didn't have the empty feeling at all, and I was just as into the Sox, but losing to the ChiSox in '05 didn't have that same "end of the world" feeling that losing in the postseason pre-'04 did.

Put it this way...I'm still 100% into my teams each year, but winning does take a bit of the edge off. I think there's a lot of that around Sox fans...take '06. The team really went south in the 2nd half, got swept in a 5 (!) game series at home by the Yanks, and people dealt with it. Pre-'04 you'd have seen much more hysteria.

Having never had the good fortune, I wouldn't know. I don't count the Texas Rose Bowl win. Despite the fact that I'd been following Texas football for a long time, I didn't actually go to school there at the time. I transfered in seven monthsand missed all the exciting parts.

Let's weigh my chances for the upcoming seasons:

Texas football - Not going to be any good this year
Texas basketball - Ditto
Dallas Mavericks - My faith is gone and the rest of the West just keeps getting better
Texas Rangers - I don't need a reason for this one (although this season has been fun to watch and a pleasant surprise)
Dallas Stars - After making the conference finals, could contend next year
Dallas Cowboys - My best bet

Let's hope my day comes soon.

NSW, you better run and hide, because I know exactly what you're saying. That 2001 Game 7 loss for me was easily the most painful. My birthday is November 4th and the WS had never been played on that day, so it would've been extra sweet if the Yanks had won that one. Plus, the way they lost at the end with Mo on the mound really fuckin sucked. After that game, I didn't even discuss it too much. I just wanted to forget it happened. The Yanks were THIS close to winning their 4th WS in a row and the blasted D-Backs put the kabosh on that.

Every fan wants their team to win a championship. If you win a few, it can kind of take the sting out of the years when you don't. The Yanks made it to the WS 6 out of 8 seasons and won 4 of them. Not too bad. Yes, the Yanks haven't won a WS since 2000, but those recent championships have somewhat dulled the sting of painful exits in 2001 and 2004.

were you in pain and joy at the same time in 2000?

i really can't answer this question... 'cause this past year's super bowl is the first championship i've been able to celebrate since i was 9 years old, when you don't really think about things like this.

so ask me again next year, and i'll let you know. i tell myself that the giants have a 5 year grace period after such an amazing run, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I've never seen a championship for a team I root for at the professional or collegiate level, so I cannot answer this question.

I've never seen a championship for a team I root for at the professional or collegiate level, so I cannot answer this question.

Hey, the Philadelphia Soul won the AFL Championship last night! Now you can say that you have seen a professional sports championship in Philadelphia. Now you can answer the question. C'mon, how does it feel?

I had been into hockey only about five or six years when the Wings won the Cup back in 97, and I remember crying tears of joy. The next year I was just as excited, hoping they could do it again, and maybe because the 98 one was so much more emotional thanks to the Konstantinov factor, it was that much sweeter.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl in 1997...holy moly. I was 14 years old. My aunt and uncle lived next door, so my parents, my sister, and I had gone over to watch it with them. There was a whole lot of excitement in that house! It was awesome. Of course, Favre ended up on the front page of the local paper, and you could buy prints of it. I had one hanging in my bedroom.

Even if the Packers were to never win a single game again, I'd love them and stand by them. But, man...them winning the Super Bowl sure was fun!! It really gave you an extra burst of pride in being a fan. :)

Hey, the Philadelphia Soul won the AFL Championship last night! Now you can say that you have seen a professional sports championship in Philadelphia. Now you can answer the question. C'mon, how does it feel?

I believe I used the phrase "team I root for." Some lacrosse team in Philly has won a title or two in my lifetime. Only problem is, I don't give a fuck about either.

I believe I used the phrase "team I root for." Some lacrosse team in Philly has won a title or two in my lifetime. Only problem is, I don't give a fuck about either.

Aww, the Arena Football League has been around for 22 seasons. I guess you can say they're a "real" pro sports league now. I know you used the phrase "team you root for", but I figured you might be into the Philadelphia Soul. Hell, Jon Bon Jovi owns the team! Why not?

Besides kicking ass and being THE HISTORIAN, what do you give a fuck about?

Nothing. If it ain't kicking ass, what's the point?

I just don't give a fuck about the Soul, and I'm having a really hard time getting around that. So, yeah.

Nothing. If it ain't kicking ass, what's the point?

I just don't give a fuck about the Soul, and I'm having a really hard time getting around that. So, yeah.

What the fuck, why don't you support Arena Football?

Not me. After being there for 6 nonconsecutive years and 2 degrees, I will never ever ever get tired of watching the Hokies play (read: kick ass). I look forward to each new season. I finally got to go to an ACC championship game last year and see it first hand, which was incredible. If we make it this year I'll try my best to get there again. Hopefully this season I can still attend a few games. I really want to finally get tickets for a bowl game this time. I'm already getting excited about it. I don't care how many times they win, I'm a Hokie for life! I really don't think I could ever get sick of it. Plus, it's fun to go out to bars outside of Blacksburg and impress some of the fellas with my knowledge of college football ;)

Back
Top Bottom