AFL Thread. James Hird Does a Bono!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's watch Essendon fall in a heap in the final quarter. :happy:

First time Ryder has done anything this year other than in the Showdowns. So worth that $700k a year or whatever. :happy:

Funny how different my feelings are about the two ex-Bombers playing for Port. I really don't care about Monfries, he got a better offer and took it, but I wish Ryder would fucking do his hammy or something after that ludicrous drama he made about leaving.

Also because Monfries is a fringe player, Ryder was supposed to be Port's last piece of the premiership puzzle.

Damnit this game is done.

At least it's been a high-scoring and see-sawing affair. It's been fun to watch.

Chingard is still the biggest wanker in the sport. Though he just has to exist to retain that title.

Pitiful effort from Brissie at the Gabba against a pretty average side, but still not a patch on ours.

Brisbane had even less scoring opportunities this week than they did last week. :lol:

Funny how different my feelings are about the two ex-Bombers playing for Port. I really don't care about Monfries, he got a better offer and took it, but I wish Ryder would fucking do his hammy or something after that ludicrous drama he made about leaving.

:rolleyes: it was fear for the health of his family, which I'd say is pretty reasonable.

Stoked to see Norf get up for Boomer (who had a pearler game too)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You didn't see the rest of the team making such a public drama about it, and it's not as if Paddy Ryder is the only Bomber with a family.

If he'd just said "I'm sick of this shit and I want out", I would've respected it a whole lot more.

The umpiring throughout this round has been a travesty. 50-odd free kicks a game is terrible.

Maybe Paddy Ryder wasn't blinded by love for James Hird/felt strongly enough/felt confident in himself enough to question what was going on. I thought Hird's comments after the game that he was "lucky" were pretty shit.

More Goodes shit today NO NO NO NO NO

Vlad - I was chatting with a bloke yesterday who works with Jared Petrenko, they're mates. You were actually right - apparently Sando was not well liked. But Petrenko was also really annoyed with the club. Footy manager told him he'd get another contract, then Phil Walsh came in and said "you're not in my plans" and he was out on his arse.

Vlad - I was chatting with a bloke yesterday who works with Jared Petrenko, they're mates. You were actually right - apparently Sando was not well liked. But Petrenko was also really annoyed with the club. Footy manager told him he'd get another contract, then Phil Walsh came in and said "you're not in my plans" and he was out on his arse.

I don't blame him for feeling that way, getting assured one thing and then having it turned on its head the way it was would have pretty painful. I assume Walsh overruled the list manager, and honestly I think he was at least worth a rookie spot at another club (I mean, even McKernan got one! And he's playing matches for Essendon! Ahead of someone who is rated decently as a #1 ruckman in Giles).

I didn't have any inside knowledge re: Sando, but it seemed like lots of different people had much the same thing to say about him. And things like him not even having regular correspondence with a large portion of the list was pretty widely mentioned, and that's just the start. You put the dots together and the past two years make sense.

Yeah, I think Roo listens to the National. NicNat is into a lot of hiphop, loves his Kendrick. There was some shitty Top 20 Fav Hits of AFL Superstars official compilation which was basically a Coldplay album unfortunately.

I'm so fucking sick of this booing nonsense, my blood boils just thinking about it. I'd love to see more indigenous players from other clubs doing the warcry too. How is it inciting the crowd lol, it's probably the least violent thing that happens on a footy field. Did NZ ever have this ridiculous problem years and years ago?

Last edited:
The All Blacks sometimes used to get pressured into performing the haka when travelling overseas. :lol:

This led to some notoriously mediocre or inaccurate performances when the team was largely full of Pakeha who had only a faint notion of what they were meant to do. The haka was only made a regular pre-game fixture in the eighties when some Maori players made a point of teaching the whole team to get it right and do it before each game. That's also when it became routinely done in New Zealand - but its omission in previous decades wasn't because of local opposition, but because it was done overseas to give international audiences a taste of Maori culture.

The people getting heated up about the warcry absolutely mystify me. I think it's fucking cool and want to see more of it. If you're offended by this, where were you when Aker was doing his handstands?

I remember there was a lot of criticism towards Mark Williams (remember him?) doing the shotgun celebration a decade or so ago.

Everything about it makes me very angry. If it rolls on another few days I forsee a Facebook rant from me.

The same people complaining are the same people who think Barry Hall punching Brent Staker in the head was awesome or have watched endless videos of punch-ons from the 80s.

Fuck it, I've been drinking cab sav and watching Grand Designs for the last two hours, I need to vent.

So Adam Goodes has dived a few times and maybe done a couple of snipes. So has almost every other high profile player. What about the dickheads who've done truly awful things on the footy field - like Conca, Lake, Mitchell and the like? Why aren't they booed for some occasional shit behaviour - far more ugly than a warcry? Oh no, it's because they're not challenging Australia to face up to its bullshit. Because, my dear hypothetical dickhead for my argument who represents far too many Australians, even if you don't hate Adam Goodes because he's black, necessarily, you still hate him because he's saying things you still deny are happening, and for him to show pride in his culture, to not be in his place as subservient to a white audience. You are a racist, no matter how you deny it, because you don't allow him to live, to fight on. We can let people who've punched and strangled and bitten and eye-gouged play the game boo-free, and we can celebrate them as champion dual Brownlow medalists, but goddamn Goodes, he had to go and win Australian of the Year, because he wanted to educate a young girl on what's right and wrong instead of staying subservient. Bastard! And we can pretend this makes him a dickhead. The booing is so quintessentially Australian that it's almost too perfect in the ugliest way - a mixture of tall poppy syndrome, denial and racism.

Anyway enough of that shit, onto the laughs: Quiz: Which Power player are you? - portadelaidefc.com.au

Last edited:
Well said.

I felt the discussion on Footy Classified last night regarding the topic, especially from Caro (I don't always agree with her but I have more respect for her the more I watch), was very good. Predictably The Herald Scum and its affiliates have been utterly pathetic on this issue, see Devine and Panahi. Two people on Facebook 'liked' Panahi's article within minutes of each other, ugh.

As much as I normally don't really like us (or any team) deviating from our regular guernsey in any way, very proud that we're doing this out of support for Goodes. Very impressive.

The Sad Punk summed the whole thing up perfectly before, where tall-poppy syndrome plays a big part, but it's all too complex for so many football fans to understand. It shouldn't be.

The whole debate raging around Goodes has become so tiresome and frustrating, even more so now that the populist "outraged" likes of Panahi, Jones and Divine have come out with their own anti-Goodes rants.

Even some reasonably-minded people on my FB have resorted to quoting Jones, Divine and Panahi, even though they may normally disagree with this treacherous trio on so many other issues.

For want of a better description, there is so much defensive denial out there. It's ugly.

I honestly feel like heading to a Swans game and applauding every time Goodes gets the ball.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Last edited:
I am so frustrated and depressed by the Goodes situation and all the fucking racists and apologists for the racists that I have completely run out of words.

Same. This is killing me. And there's no escaping it, which makes it even worse.

And the worst part? We feel this shit, imagine how fucking Adam Goodes feels. Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom