AFI's new album, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Schmeg said:
I bought the album today and so far like most of the songs I've heard, and I never like an album the first time I hear it.

Interesting point: Silver and Cold started playing just as it started raining as I was driving home. Very cool.

I love you

The video for the second single "The Leaving Song Part II" is now up on www.mtv.com .

It quite a bit cooler than the first video was. Actually, the hardcore guys and straightedgers in the pit is flat out awesome. I just wish Davey would cut his freaking hair. He honestly looks like a woman now.

notiti said:
AFI have been dead to me since two albums ago. I hate it when punks sell out.

yeah, it seems to me they are just another pop punk band a la American Hi Fi and what not

maybe not though, I've not heard a whole lot

So good to see people come by and have something nice to say.

Last edited:
notiti said:
AFI have been dead to me since two albums ago. I hate it when punks sell out.

By selling out do you mean becoming popular enough to sell records?

I hate it when people say a band has "sold out" just because the band reaches more people then ever before with a record. Isn't that what music is all about? Having your creation heard by millions of people....I think that's a gift.

But there are some people out there who think that a band has to be small forever, just have a small fanbase and stay indie for their entire career or be called a sellout because more than 100 people like the music.....this sickens me. MTV will not go up to a band and ask if they want to be popular now..."can we play your video please so that people can hear your music?" not going to happen!

With punk being so popular right now how can the indie fan, who doesn't want their indie band to grow into megastars, stop this from happening? Two words......YOU CAN'T!!

Sorry for the rant....but it just kills me to hear people who love a band for years just turn their backs on said band just because more people than the core fans are buying the new cd....or they see a video from the band on MTV.....get over it!

i hate the idea of trying to define "selling out". there's even a line between selling a song to be used for a commercial and writing a song SPECIFICALLY for a commercial*. if a band suddenly gets airplay on mtv, so what. i seriouisly doubt that 100% of the time it's because the band got sick of being an indie band. bands can be popular and still care as much about the fans (fuck, we're all supposedly u2 fans here, right??), and still care more about making the music than making money. until i see afi or any other band youy've accused of selling out state that they only went major because they wanted more money. i'm still going to beleive (no matyter how naiive it might be) that the main objective is getting the music out so more people can hear it, because maybe more people will like it. the second they start putting out watered-down versions of their last album, is the second musically that they come close to "selling out", and that's a very difficult thing to define as well. something that someone sees as an artistic expansion could be seen by someone else as an attempt at becoming more marketable.

i'm just as guilty of wanting to see my favourite smaller less popular bands stay smaller for a few reasons, often because i don't want to see a song that i really liked get played to death. maybe if you're a real punk it makes you cooler if you like all sorts of bands that no one else knows, but if so, i'm not that kind of punk. but it does get frustrating when a band tries really hard to stay smaller. it's harder to find their music, it's harder to find fans to talk about it with. but at the same time i did get really worried when i heard "walk away" was the first single from the new dropkick murphys album. it really seemed like they were trying to cater to the mainstream more with that song than with something else off the album. i did change my mind though. but it still drives me crazy when my favourite local band is content to only occasionally play small coffee shops, and will take their time getting the cd to the campus radio station because they don't care about gaining too many fans.

*(credit: edgeman)

Sorry HeadsOnSticks....but I don't think you started this "chaos"....It was Notti who started the "selling Out" stuff.

Just want to make that clear.....maybe this topic should be closed though.

I just dont get how they would have sold out 2 albums back. Considering 2 albums back was Art of Drowning, which has sold about 200,000 copies to date. Not exactly a huge success. Not to mention most everyone just thinks it is Black Sails pt. 2, and I'd have to agree. They're both pretty much the same idea with different songs, so by that standard didnt they sell out 3 albums back?

And yes, if signing to a big label = selling out, then nearly every band who's ever meant anything to the music scene were sellouts.

Regardless, AFI is one of my favorite bands, so I guess I have bad taste or something. Maybe I should go listen to the countless soft rock bands that all the other users here recommend, I'm sure they're just great.

oh, and another thing

it's fine if you like AFI

I'm sure they're enjoyable

but EVERY post you (popmofo) get on about "soft rock" bands and how "everybody" here listens to them

I would just like to know what you mean by soft rock. Cos I think of artists like Phil Collins or michael bolton!

No, you've got Soft Rock confused with Wuss Rock... ala Hall & Oates, Michael Bolton, etc.

Soft Rock is Coldplay, and stuff in that vein. It's not necessarily a bad connotation, just a reference term.

I wouldn't call coldplay soft rock though.

I assume you do so because it is slow?

and therefore, I guess you don't like 90% of the new radiohead album?

Coldplay, I admit, are like a lamer version of radiohead.

Basstrap said:
I wouldn't call coldplay soft rock though.

I assume you do so because it is slow?

When you assume you make an ass out of me.

Nice :up:

Hard and Soft doesn't mean good or bad... it's all relative. Bands like Guns N' Roses are definitely harder in general than bands like Travis. I used to hate using labels like that, but it gets too difficult to talk about music if you don't have articles like Soft Rock and Hard Rock. Eventually you just run out of "politically correct" adjectives. Of course it won't please everybody, and the definitions won't satisfy every condition... but that applies to just about any term, doesn't it?

u2popmofo said:
Maybe I should go listen to the countless soft rock bands that all the other users here recommend, I'm sure they're just great.

sorry.

I just detected a lot of sarcasm here and distaste

and the fact that you bring it up a lot in bad contexts which would lead me to believe "aoft raock" IS indeed bad.

and if you do, that is fine!!

How 'bout a group hug?

Give up the grudge.

Yikes... did I just quote Gob?

:wink:

Basstrap said:

Coldplay, I admit, are like a lamer version of radiohead.

I don't agree with this comment.

Why can't bands play the same type of music? Why do we have to classify bands as "the next...."?

I think Coldplay are just fine....and they are definetly not Radiohead by any means....young or old.

cujo said:
How 'bout a group hug?

Give up the grudge.

Yikes... did I just quote Gob?

:wink:

oh, I'm holding no grudge!
I'm genuinely curious

honest

and in defense of notiti (because everyone deserves a defense in this land!)

I am PRETTY sure she did not mean anything at all by record sales but was probably alluding to their sound.
I assume <---- that she intends to say that AFI has conformed to what the mass media views as pop-rock. I know NOTHING about AFI prior this year but it seems to me they aren't so much different than bands like american hi-fi or treble charger or whatnot

I used to like treble charger a lot, though...before they became another sum 41

My idiotic sarcastic comments are taken too literally. It's all good. Everyone has their own personal tastes.

Other bands and other people's personal tastes should never be mocked, because that's flat out rude. Even when people do that in my threads, I try to not pay attention, but sometimes it pisses me off royaly that others dont try to give me the same respect I try to give them.

American Psycho was tolerable... but now they're just a bunch of fogeys trying to pass off as teenagers. Yep, Treble Charge is one whine that didn't age well.

:hug: everyone.

Basstrap said:

I used to like treble charger a lot, though...before they became another sum 41

Funny since the lead singer of treble charger is basically the 5th member of sum 41.

It's all good Basstrap, dont worry about it. I honestly have never heard of American HiFi so I dont know if your judgement is valid or not.

I'm guessing you've probably only heard Girl's Not Grey off of the the new AFI album, which is honestly my least favorite song on the album, so dont try to judge them from that stinker. I am still fairly mad they released that as a single, but I guess it's the most poppy song on the album, so it's understandble as to why it was a single.

Back
Top Bottom