AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies - 10th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:
To be honest, the only Kubrick movie I've seen all the way through was The Shining. The others I've caught bits and pieces of on TV, but never sat down to watch them.

I still consider A.I. half-Kubrick, half-Spielberg.

IMO I would rate the Kubrick films I have seen:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Spartacus
Lolita
Full Metal Jacket
Barry Lyndon
Paths of Glory
Eyes Wide Shut

I really liked A.I. I found it's themes to be very disturbing... The only thing I really disliked was the ending :down:

Clockwork is another movie I want to see, but I'm not sure if I can stomach it.

2001 is a masterpiece and ClockWork Orange :drool:

Eye's Wide Shut is for people who dont' want to look like perv, so they wank it to the orgy scene and Nicole Kidman.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I really liked A.I. I found it's themes to be very disturbing... The only thing I really disliked was the ending :down:

That's because Spielberg directed that last part of the Film Since Kubrick died during filming of A.I.

Justin24 said:
2001 is a masterpiece and ClockWork Orange :drool:

Eye's Wide Shut is for people who dont' want to look like perv, so they wank it to the orgy scene and Nicole Kidman.

What do you mean?

Justin24 said:

That's because Spielberg directed that last part of the Film Since Kubrick died during filming of A.I.

I don't think that's true.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

Who are you talking to?

Sorry, I meant about your assessment of Eyes Wide Shut.

and:

In an interview with film critic Mark Kermode on The Culture Show broadcast on November 4 2006, Spielberg responded to some of the criticisms of the film, stating that many of the so called 'sentimental' elements of the film, including the ending, were in fact Kubrick's and vice-versa the darker elements were his own.

elevated_u2_fan said:

It's pretty tame by todays standards...

I'm pretty sure Kubrick died before filming started...

Your right, my bad :)

from wikipedia

[edit] A.I.: Artificial Intelligence—posthumous completion
One Kubrick project was eventually completed by another director, Steven Spielberg. Throughout the 1980s and early 90s, Kubrick collaborated with various writers (including Brian Aldiss, Sara Maitland and Ian Watson) on a project called by various names, including "Pinocchio" and "Artificial Intelligence."

Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law in a scene of A.I.The film was developed expanding on Aldiss' short story "Super-Toys Last All Summer Long," which Kubrick and his writers turned into a feature-length film in three acts. It was a futuristic fairy tale about a robot which resembles and behaves as a child, who is sold as a temporary surrogate to a family whose only son is in a coma. The robot, however, learns of this, and out of sympathy is left abandoned in the woods by his owners instead of being returned to the factory for destruction. The rest of the story concerns the robot's attempts in becoming a real boy by seeking “Blue Fairy” (a reference to Pinocchio), in order to regain his mother's love and acceptance once more, as his love was hard-wired into him, and hence everlasting. The journey would take the boy-robot (referred to as a "Mecha" ) thousands of years.

Kubrick reportedly held long telephone discussions with Steven Spielberg regarding the film, and, according to Spielberg, at one point stated that the subject matter was closer to Spielberg's sensibilities than his. In 2001, following Kubrick's death, Spielberg took the various drafts and notes left by Kubrick and his writers, and composed a new screenplay, and in association with what remained of Kubrick's production unit, made the movie A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, starring Haley Joel Osment.

The film contains a posthumous producing credit for Stanley Kubrick at the beginning, and the brief dedication "For Stanley" at the end. The film contains many recurrent Kubrick motifs, such as an omniscient narrator, an extreme form of the three act structure, the themes of humanity and inhumanity, and a sardonic view of Freudian psychology.

A.I. was not a major box office or critical success, and the unorthodox combination of two vastly different directorial visions was considered by some critics a confusing failure unappealing to fans of both Spielberg and Kubrick. However, the film has a cult following among science-fiction fans[citation needed] and is considered by some to be one of Spielberg's finest films

Justin24 said:

1. Do you have any idea how stupid this is?

2. Spielberg filmed all of A.I. But you don't need behind-the-scenes info to know that. Just watch it, it's not hard to tell.

LMP:

A Clockwork Orange isn't too graphic at all. It's very disturbing in its themes, but you should be able to stomach it just fine. If you don't have any problems with Pulp Fiction, you'll be fine with this.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Sorry, I meant about your assessment of Eyes Wide Shut.

and:

Well Eye's Wide Shut was not that great, it felt like a better version of Showgirls than anything. This ranks in below Full Metal Jacket. The First half of Full Metal Jacket was brilliant. The second half felt like any other Vietnam movie.

Lancemc said:
A Clockwork Orange isn't too graphic at all. It's very disturbing in its themes, but you should be able to stomach it just fine. If you don't have any problems with Pulp Fiction, you'll be fine with this.

Sounds good, I'll probably end up torrenting because Mama LMP thinks it's too intense for me.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Just read what you said again:

How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you discuss things this way?

Lancemc said:
It has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

Just read what you said again:

How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you discuss things this way?

Well how would you have put it then, because seriously, there have been reviewers in the past who have said similar things about other films.

Eye's Wide Shut is the weaker of Kubricks bunch. Is that better?

Yeah, actually it is. I could care less that you think it's his worst film. It probably is.

Let's just assume what you said about it actually make any sense to begin with, I'd like to see a review where they talk about audiences wanking it to the film. And when you do find them, I'll take note of the reviewer and make sure never to read anything they ever write.

Lancemc said:
Yeah, actually it is. I could care less that you think it's his worst film. It probably is.

Let's just assume what you said about it actually make any sense to begin with, I'd like to see a review where they talk about audiences wanking it to the film. And when you do find them, I'll take note of the reviewer and make sure never to read anything they ever write.

Fair enough. LOL so which is your favorite movie of All Time?

Justin24 said:

Well how would you have put it then, because seriously, there have been reviewers in the past who have said similar things about other films.

Eye's Wide Shut is the weaker of Kubricks bunch. Is that better?

It's actually supposed to be a disturbing and honest look at human behavior and our motivations with regards to sex. Whether you like it or not, when you look at all humans at their core, sex is a driving force behind the majority of the choices we make.

I see that when I watch it but I find the sex a little too much and Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are stiff (no pun intended) and have no chemistry both with each other and supporting characters…

I think it's time about time you made that superthread LMP. Just do it however the fuck you want. I'll help tabulate though. :up:

Justin24 said:
Fair enough. LOL so which is your favorite movie of All Time?

I was thinking about this when I was watching the countdown last night and I would honestly have to go with Star Wars...

I will say that I prefer Empire as a movie but the original still has a place in my heart. It is the first movie I can remember seeing as a child and being completely blown away and entranced by the whole experience.

elevated_u2_fan said:

I was thinking about this when I was watching the countdown last night and I would honestly have to go with Star Wars...

I will say that I prefer Empire as a movie but the original still has a place in my heart. It is the first movie I can remember seeing as a child and being completely blown away and entranced by the whole experience.

:up: I've been pretty open on my stance regarding the OT, but this post makes me happy to be a movie fan. When I was a youngling, I saw Empire for the first time on TV. Did the same thing practically. :love:

Ok, going back to the AFI list, now that I have spouted the virtues of Kubrick, I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk my cred by asking what is the big deal with Citizen Kane? :reject:

I've seen it twice and it's ok I guess but I have never understood the adulation it gets... The way they were going on about it last night, I had to keep asking myself if I had seen the same movie they were talking about.

Anyone else not as crazy about this one?

elevated_u2_fan said:
Ok, going back to the AFI list, now that I have spouted the virtues of Kubrick, I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk my cred by asking what is the big deal with Citizen Kane? :reject:

I've seen it twice and it's ok I guess but I have never understood the adulation it gets... The way they were going on about it last night, I had to keep asking myself if I had seen the same movie they were talking about.

Anyone else not as crazy about this one?

I feel ya. I saw it in Film Class and was bored to tears. I dont know why they say it's the greatest film ever made. They Live is 10 times better than Citizen Kane.

Back
Top Bottom