AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies - 10th Anniversary Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...I only have 86 as of now....like LMP's, these aren't necessarily the best, just my favorites...

The 40 Year Old Virgin(2005)
Ace Ventura; Pet Detective(1994)
Almost Famous(2000)
American History X(1998)
The American President(1995)
Annie Hall(1977)
Apollo 13(1995)
Armageddon(1998)
Back To The Future(1985)
Back To The Future II(1989)
Back To The Future III(1990
Batman Returns(1992)
The Bourne Identity(2002)
The Breakfast Club(1985)
Castaway(2000)
Clerks(1994)
Clueless(1995)
Die Hard(1988)
Die Hard 2: Die Harder(1990)
Die Hard With A Vengeance(1995)
Donnie Darko(2001)
Dumb And Dumber(1994)
E.T.(1982)
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind(2004)
Face/Off(1997)
The Family Man(2000)
Fatal Attraction(1987)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off(1986)
Fight Club(1999)
Forget Paris(1995)
Forrest Gump(1994)
Garden State(2004)
Gladiator(2000)
Good Will Hunting(1997)
Groundhog Day(1993)
High Fidelity(2000)
Home Alone(1990)
Home Alone 2(1992)
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom(1984)
Insomnia(2002)
Jerry McGuire(1996)
Jurassic Park(1993)
The Karate Kid(1984)
Kramer vs Kramer(1979)
Liar Liar(1997)
Life As A House(2001)
Little Miss Sunshine(2006)
Lost In Translation(2003)
Matchstick Men(2003)
Meet The Parents(2000)
Million Dollar Baby(2004)
Mystic River(2003)
National Lampoon's Vacation(1983)
National Lampoon's European Vacation(1985)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation(1989)
The Neverending Story(1984)
Notting Hill(1999)
Office Space(1999)
Planes, Trains, And Automobiles(1987)
Prime(2005)
Proof(2005)
Rocky(1976)
Rocky II(1979)
Rush Hour(1998)
The Sandlot(1993)
Serendipity(2001)
The Silence Of The Lambs(1991)
Sleepless In Seattle(1993)
Spiderman 2(2004)
The Squid And The Whale(2005)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope(1977)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back(1980)
Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi(1983)
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace(1999)
Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones(2002)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith(2005)
Terms Of Endearment(1983)
Titanic(1997)
The Truman Show(1998)
Vanilla Sky(2001)
V For Vendetta(2005)
The Weather Man(2005)
Wedding Crashers(2005)
What About Bob(1991)
When Harry Met Sally(1989)
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory(1971)

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
I like not making sense.

Then we'll all submit Top movies, look at the consensus picks (if 50 posters have Schindler's List and 1 poster has Troll 2, Schindler's will make the Consensus Top 100)

you know, like that. :wink:

Better.

But do you want to just have a list of 100 movies? Or do you want to do it hardcore style and rank them as well?

And how many movies should each person be required to provide? 10? 25? 100?

If you want to rank them, each person would have to rank his/her list, and add them up using a ranked points system. You know, #1=100 pts, #1=99 pts, etc, depending on how many movies per list. Would be a lot easier if the lists were only 25 movies per person, then the pts would go #1=25 pts, #2=24 pts, etc. That would be a lot easier to tally as well as force people to reallllly think about their choices. No?

That sounds like a great idea. I really do think it should be Favorite Movie over Greatest Movie like namkcuR and Justin did. That list is more fun to make and less rigid, you know?

I prefer the 25-50 movie range now that you mention it.

Favorite movie is definitely what I was thinking too. That way it would be "Interference's 100 favorite movies". Piece of cake.

For it to really work we'd need a lot of submissions though. Another reason to ask for lists of only 25 or so movies per person. And we should try to get the main thread stickied too so people know about it.

Alright, so that's a plan. We'll ask to have an entry thread stickied, where we explain the idea and the rules and how votes will be tallied. We give it something like a 2/3 week window to vote?

And since I've got a premium membership, we should have everyone PM me their personal lists, instead of posting them in the thread, that way people can't see what everyone else is voting for, thereby encouraging "stategic voting".

I kind of like people posting the movies in the thread, that's where the fun is really, at least for me.

I do like the rest of your idea though. :up:

I agree it's more fun that way, but if you're in it to create a fair and "accurate" list, you sort of have to do it my way. We could always encourage people to post their personal lists after the entry period has closed though?

That makes sense, I guess.

You gotta leave your email too for non-premiums.

Right.

I mean, I also kind of think that not enough people would end up submitting their lists for the results to be very representitive of Interference as a whole in any case, so maybe compiling a large list like this isn't even worth the trouble. I'm always game for just a "Your TOP ### movies thread" anyway.

I mean, I do think this would be fun, but you can't really have it both ways I think. Either everyone just lists their movies on here, and the hell with it, we just have a good time. Or we do things official and keep the votes secret for a while, and then compile a list. After that, the topic becomes discussion of the list, and everyone's personal films and stuff.

I guess I'm just saying, it's up to you whether you think it's worth the work and time it would take to collect votes for something like this.

I think the best and easiest way is people leaving their lists, discussing them, and ranking them after a set period of time (2-3 weeks). Keeping it public does give it the risk of people just putting movies down that they choose, but I really doubt that it would be more fun for everyone if it was more official and behind-the-scenes, you know?

Sleep on it :wink:

Well it looks like they're re-ordering, subtracting, and adding movies to this list, which is awesome. :up:

The first newer movie added was The Sixth Sense I believe.

I'll tune in to AFI's list some time in the last hour. I'm too busy playing Rainbow Six: Vegas. :rocon: I really just want to see the top 15 or 20 anyway. I'll catch the rest of the list online. :up:

I forgot about those movies on the list I have never heard of :up:

Man, those were great.

Just looking at your lists, they're nice and all, but I feel like one of the only people around here that must prefer the first half of the 20th century to the second when it comes to films. :(

The Sad Punk said:
Just looking at your lists, they're nice and all, but I feel like one of the only people around here that must prefer the first half of the 20th century to the second when it comes to films. :(

Nope, you're not alone. :) I love old movies. It was great to see classics like The Philadelphia Story and Casablanca on the list last night.

I'm trying to see more older movies, my Netflix queue is loaded with them:

The Searchers
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Maltese Falcon
Dr. Stranglelove
Vertigo
etc...

I can't do silent films though, at least not yet.

Dr. Strangelove :drool: I've got it on DVD. One of the funniest movies ever made, and even though it's a commentary on the Cold War it's still very relevant :up:

Peter Sellers is a genius.

I watched about 20 minutes of Strangelove the other night, and I fell asleep. It wasn't very interesting in it's first half-hour, but to be perfectly fair, it was around 2 AM and I was beeeeaaat.

I'm definitely going to give it another shot. No worries.

One movie I tried to watch last night and hated, The Squid and the Whale.

Maybe it was when the little kid jizzed on a locker, maybe it was when the jerky older brother made Anna Paquin's nose bleed, I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Sorry namkcuR, maybe some other day I'll like this movie, but not today.

I need to see 2001, too :reject:

And almost all of Capra's and Hitchcock's work.

At least I can see Gregory Peck is the absolute best in To Kill a Mockingbird :up:

I dearly love all the other Kubrick I've seen, and he's one of my favorite directors. Which is why I'm not going to give up until I'm equally in love with Strangelove. :drool:

2001 is in my top 10.

One Kubrick movie I refuse to see is Eyes Wide Shut. I saw maybe 10 minutes of it, and it happened to involve Tom Cruise in an orgy. No thanks.

LemonMacPhisto said:
One Kubrick movie I refuse to see is Eyes Wide Shut. I saw maybe 10 minutes of it, and it happened to involve Tom Cruise in an orgy. No thanks.

I wasn't a fan either... :tsk:

This guy once tried to convince me that this was Kubrick's best film... I stopped talking to him after that. :wink:

To be honest, the only Kubrick movie I've seen all the way through was The Shining. The others I've caught bits and pieces of on TV, but never sat down to watch them.

I still consider A.I. half-Kubrick, half-Spielberg.

For the record:

Spartacus: (been too long to rate properly)

Dr. Strangelove: N/A

2001: A Space Odyssey: 10/10, perfect in nearly every way

A Clockwork Orange: 9.5/10, nearly perfect

The Shining: 9.0/10, possibly the finest horror film ever, minus a point for fucking up the novel too much

Full Metal Jacket: 9.5/10, absolutely haunting

All the other Kubrick films I haven't seen, or haven't had the opportunity to see yet. But I'm sure I will one day.

Back
Top Bottom