Aerosmith Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
For being a legendary rock band, Aerosmith doesn't get talked about much here.

Are they overrated? Probably, yes.
Should they be mentioned in the same breath as the top-teir all time greats(Beatles, Zeppelin, etc)? Subjective, but imo not.

However, they are a solid band that has given us a plethora of great rock songs:

Dream On
Sweet Emotion
Walk This Way(especially the Run DMC version)
Kings And Queens
Back In The Saddle
Same Old Song And Dance
Toys In The Attic
Mama Kin
Angel
Dude(Looks Like A Lady)
Love In An Elevator
Janie's Got A Gun
Livin' On The Edge
Cryin'
Crazy
Amazing
Falling In Love(Is Hard On The Knees)
Taste Of India
Pink
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing(It's really not that bad)
Jaded(their last single that I cared for)

If you haven't given their 1997 record 'Nine Lives' a listen, you should. It was pretty much the last LP they made worth having. Later pressings of it included I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, though the song wasn't originally on it.

I was a pretty big fan growing up and let me tell you, I saw them live in 1998 and they put on one hell of a show.

Then I saw then perform with Britney at the Super Bowl and haven't looked back since. I think it's around that time that my U2 obsession really took hold.

Rocks :rockon:
Nine Lives :rockon:
Pump :rockon:

Great band, awesome tunes. Supposedly one of the best live acts around as well, but I wouldn't know. :slant:

Nowadays they're not over-rated, they still bring it live, every single time. Simply awesome. I'm glad they explored their jazz influences on Honkin' On Bobo, it's an awesome collection. Come on, how can you not have fun watching Steven Tyler go nuts, plus he's a really awesome and nice guy.

Grew up watching videos for Livin On The Edge, Cryin, Amazing and Crazy on MTV. So naturally, Get A Grip was the first album I got! I know it's kinda uneven but I still like that album, probably more for nostalgia sake. Also enjoy Pump, Permanent Vacation and Nine Lives! From the early stuff, I only have Toys In The Attic. After hearing (what is actually a good song) Dream On eleventy billion times on the radio, I have no desire to explore their early albums.

Cryzamazing?

Yeah, it's almost like Aerosmith became a completely different band after Rick Rubin and Run DMC resurrected them from the dead.

Zootlesque said:
Grew up watching videos for Livin On The Edge, Cryin, Amazing and Crazy on MTV. So naturally, Get A Grip was the first album I got! I know it's kinda uneven but I still like that album, probably more for nostalgia sake. Also enjoy Pump, Permanent Vacation and Nine Lives! From the early stuff, I only have Toys In The Attic. After hearing (what is actually a good song) Dream On eleventy billion times on the radio, I have no desire to explore their early albums.

You need Rocks :rockon:

Back In The Saddle
Last Child
Sick As A Dog
Lick And A Promise

:yes:

Falling in love (is so hard on your knees) shouldn't be as good as it is...

that song I guess takes the roof off everytime in concerts... :drool:

"Love in an elevator" is just plain bad... yet, "Janie's got a gun" is theire best song EVER :drool:

namkcuR said:

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing(It's really not that bad)
Actually, it really is that bad.
As you say they are a legendary rock band, and recording that sappy garbage written by a professional easy listening song writer takes them down 6 pegs on the rock credibility ladder.

I have always been a fan, its tough not to be growing up near Boston, and as phanan mentioned the 70's were their hey day, the resurrection has had its high points (Pump) and its low (Super Bowl, Armageddon). They are still very good live, I last saw them a couple of years ago, have seen them 9-10 times total, and may see them in September...but I'd like to forget that the whole Diane Warren relationship ever existed. Rock bands write and record their own material. How would we feel if U2 started having songs written for them with an eye towards #1 singles?

Re: Re: Aerosmith Appreciation

Hewson said:
Actually, it really is that bad.
As you say they are a legendary rock band, and recording that sappy garbage written by a professional easy listening song writer takes them down 6 pegs on the rock credibility ladder.

I have always been a fan, its tough not to be growing up near Boston, and as phanan mentioned the 70's were their hey day, the resurrection has had its high points (Pump) and its low (Super Bowl, Armageddon). They are still very good live, I last saw them a couple of years ago, have seen them 9-10 times total, and may see them in September...but I'd like to forget that the whole Diane Warren relationship ever existed. Rock bands write and record their own material. How would we feel if U2 started having songs written for them with an eye towards #1 singles?

Did you know that Aerosmith originally refused when initially approached to do a song for the Armageddon soundtrack, and that only after Liv Tyler got a role in the film did the band agree to it, as a favor to Steven's daughter?

Its funny. we were just talking about them the other day. My husband and I were trying to figure out what band other than the Rolling Stones had been around the longest. I'm a big Rush fan, so I said well Rush had and he said "what about Aerosmith?" and I was like -"oh, yeay - I forgot all about them".

anyway, I'd read that Aerosmith haven't written any of their songs since the mid-80's. I don't know if that's true or not. I do like alot of their 70's material though (sweet emotion in particular).

I LOVE Aerosmith. :bow: Just such a great, fun band. One of the best live shows I've ever seen (saw them twice on their Honkin' on Bobo tour)

I agree, their songs have not been as good lately. But the early stuff. :drool: and I hate the fact that it seems like they are just touring for the money, but as long as they are still good and Steven is still jumping around that stage, I would go see them. :up:

phanan said:
I'd add Get Your Wings to that. That is their ultimate trio before they went downhill.

Same Old Song And Dance
Lord Of The Thighs
Woman Of The World
Seasons Of Wither

Pretty great stuff there :up:

It's ironic, you know. I read their autobigraphy "Walk This Way" and if memory serves, in the early days Joe Perry was the band member who was the one who said that "rock bands shouldn't do ballads" or something to that effect. He was dead-set againt ballads and was very apprehensive about doing Dream On.

Obviously, Perry's stance must have softened over the years. :shrug:

This thread made me realize I never imported any Aerosmith into my itunes. Importing and listening to Nine Lives right now. :wink:

Mama Kin from the debut album is the shit. :rockon:

Mm-mm, that is one tasty lick.

Eat the Rich made my first Desert Island list, that's such a fun song.

But since '87, for every Eat the Rich, there's about 4 Cryin's

Other than Livin' On The Edge which I absolutely love (both song and video), Eat The Rich and Fever are 2 of my favorite songs on Get A Grip. They're both loads of fun and great driving songs too! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom