Advice on Visiting Chicago - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Advice on Visiting Chicago

I'm toying with the idea of going to Chicago in July for Eric Clapton's Crossroads benefit at Toyota Park but am in need of some advice. I've been to Chicago once but the trip was a prize so I didn't have anything to do with the planning.

Midway or O'Hare?
Exactly how far is the venue from the city? Is it easy to get there by taxi, train or bus, or is a rental car needed?

Thanks!!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I would advise flying into Midway when you go. It's smaller than O'Hare and pretty easy to get around in.

Whenever I go into the city I always take the train. However with the U2 concert at the United Center my guy and I drove there.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Local Time: 02:08 AM
I would advise Midway if you can swing it. A lot smaller and easier to navigate, as Shannon mentioned. if you're looking to go downtown while you're here, you can take the train (orange line on the "L") right from the airport. That's actually true for O'hare as well, but it's on the blue line.

the venue is in Bridgeview, it's about 15 minutes from where I live. in regards to the airport (Midway anyway), you might want to rent a car. It's not too far really, but may be cheaper and more convenient for you than catching a cab. If you're doing O'hare, then definitely get a rental car. At Midway, you can always park your rental at the airport CTA lot for $2 (there's also a lot right across from that, that I've used if I'm going to in the city for the day), if you want to head downtown.

if you have any other questions, either post here or PM me and I'll try to help!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^agreed

yeah try going down to the city..you'll have a great time
Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

When ever I go to Chicago I take Midway Shannon and Di covered what I was going to suggest. Ahh, the memories of the Chicago U2 show

Have fun at the Eric Clapton concert. That should be cool
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If you rent a car, consider one with GPS navigation. I got a little lost after attending an amphitheatre concert in Tinley Park. They had some weird traffic patterns and huge backups on the highways, and the streets were dark and deserted in the suburbs.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Midway, definitely. And though public transportation is very good, renting a car wouldn't be a bad idea.

And, if you do come to Chicago, do look me up. I was thinking of going to this show as well.

Toyota Park is a great place. Though, I was only there for the opening home day for the Chicago Fire. I don't know how the acoustics are there.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
If you rent a car, consider one with GPS navigation. I got a little lost after attending an amphitheatre concert in Tinley Park. They had some weird traffic patterns and huge backups on the highways, and the streets were dark and deserted in the suburbs.
That's very true.

But, if you come in from Midway, the Toyota Center is only three main streets away. Cicero to 79th street to Harlem. And it's only about a fifteen-twenty minute drive.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
If you are using the CTA....get one of those passes (Vistor's would better cause it's unlimited...but you can use the regular...but you would have to refill it every once in a while) that's near the terminals.

Can't help you with the airports cause I only go to O'Hare to use the Blue Line (Cause it's closer to my bus route).

http://transitchicago.com/ (CTA)
http://www.pacebus.com/ (Bus)
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ (If you want to do anything else)

Oh...check out the Toyota Park website...cause they have directions on there. And use Mapquest when you have too

Toyota Park looks nice....I've been by there on my way to a Rent-A-Center store in Bridgeview sometimes...but I don't go that route that takes you to that place that often
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank you all for the advice. Edgette, I would definitely try to connect with you! Right now, the plan is still very up in the air but I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Definitely Midway and definitely a rental car WITH GPS.....can't go wrong with those few things. Have fun.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I actually use O'hare because I kinda live close to there but toyta park= midway
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
we actually tried to get tickets, but we were shut out. I hope you have better luck. although I'm sure a bunch will be out there as the concert gets closer.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
I agree that Midway is smaller and probably easier to get around, even though I prefer O'Hare. If you're in town for the Taste of Chicago---it's crowded, but you'll get to taste some of our great resturants food.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Kiki just had to say I love your sig