Advice on Visiting Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
I'm toying with the idea of going to Chicago in July for Eric Clapton's Crossroads benefit at Toyota Park but am in need of some advice. I've been to Chicago once but the trip was a prize so I didn't have anything to do with the planning.

Midway or O'Hare?
Exactly how far is the venue from the city? Is it easy to get there by taxi, train or bus, or is a rental car needed?

Thanks!!

I would advise flying into Midway when you go. It's smaller than O'Hare and pretty easy to get around in.

Whenever I go into the city I always take the train. However with the U2 concert at the United Center my guy and I drove there.

I would advise Midway if you can swing it. A lot smaller and easier to navigate, as Shannon mentioned. if you're looking to go downtown while you're here, you can take the train (orange line on the "L") right from the airport. That's actually true for O'hare as well, but it's on the blue line.

the venue is in Bridgeview, it's about 15 minutes from where I live. in regards to the airport (Midway anyway), you might want to rent a car. It's not too far really, but may be cheaper and more convenient for you than catching a cab. If you're doing O'hare, then definitely get a rental car. At Midway, you can always park your rental at the airport CTA lot for $2 (there's also a lot right across from that, that I've used if I'm going to in the city for the day), if you want to head downtown.

if you have any other questions, either post here or PM me and I'll try to help! :)

When ever I go to Chicago I take Midway:yes: Shannon and Di covered what I was going to suggest. Ahh, the memories of the Chicago U2 show:drool:

Have fun at the Eric Clapton concert. That should be cool:up:

If you rent a car, consider one with GPS navigation. I got a little lost after attending an amphitheatre concert in Tinley Park. They had some weird traffic patterns and huge backups on the highways, and the streets were dark and deserted in the suburbs.

Midway, definitely. And though public transportation is very good, renting a car wouldn't be a bad idea.

And, if you do come to Chicago, do look me up. I was thinking of going to this show as well.

Toyota Park is a great place. Though, I was only there for the opening home day for the Chicago Fire. I don't know how the acoustics are there.

ntalwar said:
If you rent a car, consider one with GPS navigation. I got a little lost after attending an amphitheatre concert in Tinley Park. They had some weird traffic patterns and huge backups on the highways, and the streets were dark and deserted in the suburbs.

That's very true.

But, if you come in from Midway, the Toyota Center is only three main streets away. Cicero to 79th street to Harlem. And it's only about a fifteen-twenty minute drive.

If you are using the CTA....get one of those passes (Vistor's would better cause it's unlimited...but you can use the regular...but you would have to refill it every once in a while) that's near the terminals.

Can't help you with the airports cause I only go to O'Hare to use the Blue Line (Cause it's closer to my bus route).

http://transitchicago.com/ (CTA)
http://www.pacebus.com/ (Bus)
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ (If you want to do anything else)

Oh...check out the Toyota Park website...cause they have directions on there. And use Mapquest when you have too :wink:

Toyota Park looks nice....I've been by there on my way to a Rent-A-Center store in Bridgeview sometimes...but I don't go that route that takes you to that place that often :up:

Kiki said:
I agree that Midway is smaller and probably easier to get around, even though I prefer O'Hare. If you're in town for the Taste of Chicago---it's crowded, but you'll get to taste some of our great resturants food.

:drool:

I love Taste of Chicago....I'm planning on going there around the 4th of July weekend cause that's the only time my dad can get off work (We planned for opening week...but couldn't cause my dad couldn't take that week off). :crack:

Back
Top Bottom