Advice on quitting a job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I have two jobs right now--at a bookstore and as a page at the public library (mostly shelving books). It is more than likely that in the next couple of days I will be quitting one or both of those jobs. I had an interview on Thurs at a place that does phone interviewing and they asked me to come tomorrow for orientation so I think that means they probably want to hire me. I am going to see first a bit more about what the job is like and whether the hours will work for me. It does pay better than my current jobs and it's not like telemarketing, more like asking people going through government programs how those are working for them, and stuff like that. They wanted people who have at least some university and preferably speak French, and both those apply to me, so it sounds like it could be reasonably interesting.

I've never quit a job before--the two I have now were my first regular jobs, though I've done stuff on contract too. I'm on good terms with my bosses and coworkers but I'm kinda nervous about it anyway. I'm not sure how to go about it. I've just been looking at some advice on the Net. Some people think you need to provide a letter of resignation, but I'm not sure if that's necessary for jobs like these which are pretty minor (and I only work part-time at either of them.) Is 2 weeks notice enough? And is there something I should or shouldn't say? Any advice would be appreciated
smile.gif

------------------
Their lives are bigger than any big idea

Many bosses/managers do, or at least should, be expecting a certain percentage of their employees to move on. They have to, especially in the service or retail industry. If you wish to leave on good terms and get letters of reference it is very advisable to give two weeks notice and keep things amicable. Be confident when you approach them and think out what it is you want to say: perhaps you want to thank them for the experience and time that you spent there, make them aware that you have found something that fits your lifestyle better(a nice way of saying more $$$ from my experience).
The only job I ever quit was not on bad terms with my boss or coworkers but the company(for you canadian's it was the telephone booth), so i wrote a letter explaining many of the corporate structure and organizational problems that existed in my opinion. my boss faxed it directly to the president and signed it himself. i got a call from the president and from what i understand things have improved there.
anyway, hope this helps.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

I agree with kobayashi. I've had several jobs, and the best thing to do in my experience is just to be confident and straightforward about why you're leaving. I guess that's the hardest part about quitting, just breaking the news. After that, though, there is a big sense of relief.

You will do fine.
smile.gif

Thanks guys
smile.gif
Well, the new job seems fine and I gave my notice for the old ones today. I get to work three jobs (plus any writing jobs that may come my way) for two weeks. Yay. But the quitting wasn't so bad. Everyone was so nice about it I felt a bit guilty
rolleyes.gif
But it was no big deal. Obviously it would have been a bigger deal if I were the vice-president of a major multinational corporation. There are some advantages to not being the vice-president of a major multinational corporation.

Trav, your second message-that-was wasn't that bad
biggrin.gif
In fact, I liked it so much that I used that very phraseology when I gave my notice!!

just kidding
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom