Adiós, Spain Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've never heard Fall On Me before? I would have thought you would have even without hearing the album, as it was the big single.

Nope, I'd never heard it until I downloaded the album yesterday. Don't think it got any airplay in New Zealand - I remember nothing pre-Orange Crush. Orange Crush (my first favourite song ever, when I was 3), Stand, Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion, What's The Frequency are all quite vivid in my memory.

Nope, I'd never heard it until I downloaded the album yesterday. Don't think it got any airplay in New Zealand - I remember nothing pre-Orange Crush. Orange Crush (my first favourite song ever, when I was 3), Stand, Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion, What's The Frequency are all quite vivid in my memory.

Wow, that's amazing. Fall On Me is one of their best songs ever. It's just gorgeous.

I'm proofreading something for a coworker, and I'm rewarding myself after every page by reading this thread. :wink:

Yeah, most mainstream rap is pretty terrible, and obviously gives the genre a bad reputation. The negativity towards rap from so many people is astounding! Actually, I feel the same way about country. If you look at recent country, well yeah, it's absolutely awful - but back in the roots there was a lot of really good stuff, some of the best music I've ever heard. Appalachian musicians before Johnny Cash was even born, for example.

Nu-metal is filth. Nobody in the world should like nu-metal, it's the bane of all music, not just metal. That's probably the only genre where NOTHING is good.

Heh, I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, I'll get going to that right now.

Yeah, I'd totally blow my prog/metal cred if I found myself enjoying rap - though then I remind myself why the fuck I should care, especially since I have no prog/metal cred anyway thanks to U2. Some of the politically conscious rap acts sound like they might be interesting. And yeah, I find recent country utterly intolerable, but the bits of older stuff I've heard haven't been so objectionable, though still not my thing. As for Johnny Cash, I will say that his cover of One doesn't save the song from being shit but at least improves on U2's version. Incidentally, my mother hates Mr Cash with a raging passion because my grandfather played his music almost non-stop when she was a little girl.

Nu-metal has been completely disowned by the metal world. There is a lot of bickering about "true" metal, but EVERYBODY can agree that nu-metal is an abomination that must be shunned. Metalcore is looking like it is going to receive the same treatment in the next few years.

I'm pretty confident you will like some of the tracks. I personally love Starsail and The Sun, The Sea.

Wow, that's amazing. Fall On Me is one of their best songs ever. It's just gorgeous.

Yeah, I'm quite taken by it. And LRP's first four tracks are almost a match for the awesomeness of Fables' first four.

That's one of my favorite REM albums. Possibly my favorite, but it depends on the day. The only song I don't care for is "Just a Touch," but there's so much awesomeness to make up for it.

Fables is my favourite REM, closely followed by Reckoning, but the rest is up for grabs. On my early listens of LRP, the only tracks I didn't care for are Swan Swan H and Superman, and the start of I Believe is irritating. The first four tracks and The Flowers Of Guatemala are fantastic.

Good thing it's a bit slow right now in here. :lol:

I'm hoping for a quiet day at work ... if only so I can spend some quality time being a postwhore. :wink:

Two more days of work until I'm off for a week + one day. I love it when a holiday is on a Friday.

Flowers of Guatemala is criminally underrated. It's a beautiful song.

I loved it straight away. Actually, as soon as I heard it, I thought it fit well in a DI playlist I've got half-made. I don't know if the playlist will ever turn into something I'll actually submit, but I make a number of these just for my own enjoyment.

There should be an R.E.M. Survivor one of these days in B&C.

I always thought that REM Survivor should have followed Pink Floyd.

And whatever's happened to the Bowie Survivor?

There should be an R.E.M. Survivor one of these days in B&C.

I thought about organizing one, but I got so sick of doing that last U2 one that I thought better of it.

Besides, I bet some non-diehards would just come in and something horrible like Everybody Hurts would win, and I'd have to kill someone.

I thought about organizing one, but I got so sick of doing that last U2 one that I thought better of it.

Besides, I bet some non-diehards would just come in and something horrible like Everybody Hurts would win, and I'd have to kill someone.

I'm so thankful Comfortably Numb did not win Pink Floyd Survivor. I mean, sure, Time isn't exactly obscurity, but CN would've been so predictable that it would have made the tournament a waste of time. Just like nobody needs a One vs Streets final in U2 Survivor.

Personally, I'd nominate Feeling Gravity's Pull as REM's best song.

I like Everybody Hurts, despite it being overplayed to death, but I wouldn't want it to win, either.

Comfortably Numb sickens me.

Where did Us and Them end up?

The DSOTM final was Time vs Us And Them.

Personally, I think Comfortably Numb is the best track on The Wall, but by no means would it be in my PF Top 20.

Led Zeppelin is almost done, so perhaps it can go next.

No idea on Bowie.

Yeah, I think an REM Survivor would get really good participation. I'd certainly enjoy it.

And we should do a small-scale Porcupine Tree Survivor like we discussed a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom