Adiós, Spain Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding, that album is so solid.

Duress is probably my very favourite. :drool:

If you asked for a top six on Mezcal Head, I'd tell you For Seeking Heat, Duel, Blowin' Cool, Last Train To Satansville, Duress, and You Find It Everywhere, but I couldn't rank them.

Also, I have a sweet Swervedriver snippet lined up for if Phail ever does Bullet The Blue Sky.

Man, crazy day yesterday.

Left me wanting to think about some things.

I'm quietly optimistic the album will improve on the last two, which I've grown to dislike.

I can't wait for the tour. I've missed doing regular U2VT/U2gigs updates. :hyper:

I'm also pretty optimistic about that, so let's hope for the best :hyper:

I bought The Idiot by Iggy Pop (and quietly David Bowie) and Dr. Dre's The Chronic when I was in Melbourne. I had been meaning to buy the latter for fucking ages, I mean you don't grow up in rural South Australia without listening to Dre. Gonna put them on the iPod right now...

Oh, for MJcoolname's benefit, in case you don't know, Phail is a joke U2 cover band comprising Ali on bass, U-Wen (major_panic/the Maj.) on drums, and myself on vocals, guitar, and keyboard. Basically, we phail, i.e. we play intentionally terrible U2 covers. It just started as a joke on these threads but we're actually going to get around to a proper band meeting/recording session sometime soon.

I would like to rope in somebody on guitar so that I can focus on the singing, as I think my guitar playing is going to be TOO bad. But we'll see. We're going to cover the entire October album without even looking at tablatures or anything. We'll just make it up! :laugh:

Oh, for MJcoolname's benefit, in case you don't know, Phail is a joke U2 cover band comprising Ali on bass, U-Wen (major_panic/the Maj.) on drums, and myself on vocals, guitar, and keyboard. Basically, we phail, i.e. we play intentionally terrible U2 covers. It just started as a joke on these threads but we're actually going to get around to a proper band meeting/recording session sometime soon.

I would like to rope in somebody on guitar so that I can focus on the singing, as I think my guitar playing is going to be TOO bad. But we'll see. We're going to cover the entire October album without even looking at tablatures or anything. We'll just make it up! :laugh:

Also, Jen and I will occasionally come in for some background IN THIS TOWNs.

Thanks for filling me in, I was kinda wondering what you were talking about :lol: Terrible U2 covers :rockon: Pretty cool though, wanting to meet up to do some proper recording :) Have you ever listened to the Interferencers karaoke covers btw? I sang on some of them, it was fun :wink:

Thanks for filling me in, I was kinda wondering what you were talking about :lol: Terrible U2 covers :rockon: Pretty cool though, wanting to meet up to do some proper recording :) Have you ever listened to the Interferencers karaoke covers btw? I sang on some of them, it was fun :wink:

Oh, it's going to be such good fun. Though Ali and U-Wen will make me look really bad. They claim they aren't that good at their instruments, and they'll be playing songs they don't know, but at least they PRACTISE. I haven't touched my guitar in ages - and, well, I'm doing vocals because I truly suck at singing.

And yes! I was in on the very early sing-with-me tracks back in 2005 or so and intentionally sung my lines very badly for laughs. I think I'm only in a couple of songs, but I don't remember which.

Btw can I listen to some of your 'horrible' covers sometime? :wink:

Oh, we will definitely be uploading them for the postwhorehouse's enjoyment.

I bought The Idiot by Iggy Pop (and quietly David Bowie) and Dr. Dre's The Chronic when I was in Melbourne. I had been meaning to buy the latter for fucking ages, I mean you don't grow up in rural South Australia without listening to Dre. Gonna put them on the iPod right now...

Ha, Dr Dre. I'm waiting for the day when Khan actually sends me a Dr Dre album. :lol:

Also, have you checked out A Storm In Heaven? I'd be interested to know what you made of it, given your impression of The Verve.

Oh, it's going to be such good fun. Though Ali and U-Wen will make me look really bad. They claim they aren't that good at their instruments, and they'll be playing songs they don't know, but at least they PRACTISE. I haven't touched my guitar in ages - and, well, I'm doing vocals because I truly suck at singing.

And yes! I was in on the very early sing-with-me tracks back in 2005 or so and intentionally sung my lines very badly for laughs. I think I'm only in a couple of songs, but I don't remember which.

Oh, we will definitely be uploading them for the postwhorehouse's enjoyment.

Well go practise then lol. I love to sing, so I did my fair share on some of the more recent songs. Not the most recent songs, didn't have a lot of time to do those. But I particularly liked to do Angel of Harlem, COBL and TUF :) You don't remember which songs? I want to here you sing! :wink:

I'll be waiting for those uploads ;)

Ha, Dr Dre. I'm waiting for the day when Khan actually sends me a Dr Dre album. :lol:

Also, have you checked out A Storm In Heaven? I'd be interested to know what you made of it, given your impression of The Verve.

Oh man, imagining you listening to Dr. Dre is awesome. I wonder if you'd like it... I don't know what your opinion on rap is. Rap was actually probably my first musical love.

No, I haven't downloaded it yet, I think I might get around to that right now, as I'm putting stuff on my iPod.

Well go practise then lol. I love to sing, so I did my fair share on some of the more recent songs. Not the most recent songs, didn't have a lot of time to do those. But I particularly liked to do Angel of Harlem, COBL and TUF :) You don't remember which songs? I want to here you sing! :wink:

I'll be waiting for those uploads ;)

I think I was on Streets and whatever was the very first song ever done.

And I'd like to practise, but 1. I'm lazy, 2. I suck, 3. I'm lazy, and 4. I can't actually tune a guitar. :reject:

I'll at least borrow Ali's tuner before we butcher October, though! :lol:

I think I was on Streets and whatever was the very first song ever done.

And I'd like to practise, but 1. I'm lazy, 2. I suck, 3. I'm lazy, and 4. I can't actually tune a guitar. :reject:

I'll at least borrow Ali's tuner before we butcher October, though! :lol:

Well let's just say practice makes perfect, so if you'll finally start to practise, you'll probably get better, right? :wink:

I'm off again, almost dinner time here and still have a couple of chores to do! Enjoy your evening/night (or what's left of it) :wave:

Oh man, imagining you listening to Dr. Dre is awesome. I wonder if you'd like it... I don't know what your opinion on rap is. Rap was actually probably my first musical love.

No, I haven't downloaded it yet, I think I might get around to that right now, as I'm putting stuff on my iPod.

I've never liked rap, at least nothing I've heard on the radio, but I'm aware that's meant to be generally pretty shit as far as rap goes. And I'm not going to go and say "rap = crap lawlz", because anybody who writes off an entire genre is just being absurd (though I can quite understand when people entirely write off country). Plus, I'll admit that nu-metal - which is the bane of the metal community - has kind of poisoned the well for me a bit.

Will be interesting to see what you think. It's nothing like Bittersweet Symphony.

Well let's just say practice makes perfect, so if you'll finally start to practise, you'll probably get better, right? :wink:

I can dream! :lol:

Actually, I can play 11 O'clock Tick Tock, An Cat Dubh, and New Year's Day with some competence, so I suppose there is hope for me yet.

Have a good one! :wave:

Screwtape, just to answer a few things from last night, because I'm sure you'll check in, whether it's as you or as a guest.

If you don't like how I am treated at times, why have you never said anything? All I hear from people is that I deserve to be made fun of. No one has ever stood up and said enough.

I have stood up for you. In different ways. You'll have to search back through the superthreads to find exact posts, but they are there.

Just answer me this guys. What did I do to bring about your wrath? When did I become the bad guy?

Phanan, who is one of your prog buddies and takes your music advice to heart every time? I am.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is with this post. I've never had any "wrath" towards you, I've never said you were a bad guy (just the opposite, in fact - including last night), and I've never held anything against you. I don't even know you.

I like talking about music with you, and I hope we can continue to do so in the future.

And I'm still counting on your participation in Retro Island. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

I'm thinking I should get my sleeping habits back to something approaching normality. It's nearly 2am and this feels quite early. :crack:

Also, REM's Fall On Me is fucking incredible. Why did I not get Life's Rich Pageant earlier? :drool:

I'm thinking I should get my sleeping habits back to something approaching normality. It's nearly 2am and this feels quite early. :crack:

Also, REM's Fall On Me is fucking incredible. Why did I not get Life's Rich Pageant earlier? :drool:

You've never heard Fall On Me before? I would have thought you would have even without hearing the album, as it was the big single.

That's one of my favorite REM albums. Possibly my favorite, but it depends on the day. The only song I don't care for is "Just a Touch," but there's so much awesomeness to make up for it.

I've never liked rap, at least nothing I've heard on the radio, but I'm aware that's meant to be generally pretty shit as far as rap goes. And I'm not going to go and say "rap = crap lawlz", because anybody who writes off an entire genre is just being absurd (though I can quite understand when people entirely write off country). Plus, I'll admit that nu-metal - which is the bane of the metal community - has kind of poisoned the well for me a bit.

Will be interesting to see what you think. It's nothing like Bittersweet Symphony.

Yeah, most mainstream rap is pretty terrible, and obviously gives the genre a bad reputation. The negativity towards rap from so many people is astounding! Actually, I feel the same way about country. If you look at recent country, well yeah, it's absolutely awful - but back in the roots there was a lot of really good stuff, some of the best music I've ever heard. Appalachian musicians before Johnny Cash was even born, for example.

Nu-metal is filth. Nobody in the world should like nu-metal, it's the bane of all music, not just metal. That's probably the only genre where NOTHING is good.

Heh, I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, I'll get going to that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom