Adelaide, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_212 said:

This is why I try not to think about these things. I mean you can't know unless you live here, that it's not all bad internally. It's the external that is wrong. And even now, the internal's getting worse. People in the same political parties are beginning to hate each other, gas prices (I know they're worse in other countries) are getting astronomically out of hand, we still have race problems, I mean, it's just one giant fuckyoufest.

I think the US is just as fucked internally, to be honest. And I know you say you can't know unless you live there, but I disagree with statements like that. From afar, I can be horrified at the lack of decent healthcare, at the shocking state of the education system, at the lax gun laws, at the alarming influence accorded to religious nuts, at the continued racial divides, etc.

As for petrol, I must be honest and admit I get a bit annoyed every time I see Americans complain about this. The prices you guys have right now, we'd kill for. It's so cheap! Out the tram window tonight, I noticed the local petrol station is selling petrol at AUS$1.45/litre. Not sure what that converts to, but I'd be pretty bloody sure it's much more than US$5/gallon!

You're right, from the beginning it was shit, manifest destiny is and was embarrassing. I'm Native American, so I do have some resentment to that part of our history. It sucked hardcore. It's kind of silly, but I try at all times not to have $20 on me because I can't believe we honor the horror that was Jackson. You want an embarrassing president? And instead we commemorate his memory on our most used piece of money. That's fucked up right there.

The saddest part, I think, is that Jackson was one of the more competent Presidents between Jefferson and Lincoln. I mean, Pierce? Buchanan? Embarrassments. The one President I've never understood the respect for, though, is Reagan. I would say he is one of America's three worst Presidents. And yet some seem to think he was amazing. That's incomprehensible to me.

I don't mean to bang on about the US. I know I've come across a bit too anti-American in these threads and I feel bad about that. I suppose it's just that the US's prominent status means it comes up a lot. Every country has its shitty history. Australia's history has many shameful moments. I've always been relieved that New Zealand gets off fairly lightly in comparison to many other countries, but there's certainly stuff I'm not proud of in there.

Bah, Ian and Kim, don't go! :(

Well, have a good night at least ... :wave:

bono_212 said:
You know, a lot of fans would be really crappy about it for a while, and sure, I think there would be some danger in U2 breaking up if one member left, but I think in the long run, people would see that U2 is SOOO much better off without him.

I hate to think of all the cool stuff he's vetoed. It's just so sad that he thinks 6/8 is an interesting time signature. I wonder if somebody had to educate him about time signatures before they went to Morocco?

I know I wouldn't miss him if he were gone. Get in a drummer who has a clue, and who doesn't want everything to be as safe as Westlife.

Why don't U2, you know, just quit the whole thing.

Three of the members are worthless musically and could have been anyone else. That's a big part of it, I think.

The Sad Punk said:
It's great to have you all here!

My carrier pigeon is getting worn out by the rate of posting. Sending TCP/IP packets via Adelaide's most advanced telecommunications network is hard!

To sum up the US talk before anyone else bails, you're right about the US internally, all I was trying to say is that it's not as bad as you may think....while still being pretty bad.

And you sorta answered the gas thing right there by saying you noticed the price while looking out a tram window, our public transportation sucks (except for in Chicago :love: I love you Chicago) But it's still true that it's no where near as high as other countries.

Aaaaand. Yeah, Reagan was bad...real bad.

And yes, it's hard NOT to knock the US right now, so I let it go :wink:

The Sad Punk said:

Three of the members are worthless musically and could have been anyone else. That's a big part of it, I think.

Please tell me that the Edge is not one of those three

Axver said:

My carrier pigeon is getting worn out by the rate of posting. Sending TCP/IP packets via Adelaide's most advanced telecommunications network is hard!

Is yours the one that just fell dead through my thatched roof? Don't worry, I'll get you a new one straight away.

The Sad Punk said:

Here's my solution:

1. Kick out Larry.
2. Hire a new drummer. Anybody. Pull someone out of the audience at every gig to play drums if they must. Anybody's better than Larry.
3. Gag Bono.
4. Get Edge or someone to write the lyrics.
5. Take Bono's gag off only when he needs to sing. Otherwise, gag. No speeches. No rambling. No Bongoliese.
6. Remind Adam that he didn't play like total shit on JT and Pop, and get him to play like that again.
7. Record albums in what most bands would consider a reasonable timeframe. Say, if they go into the studio in April, the album's out by November.
8. Fire Paul McGuinness.

The Sad Punk said:

Is yours the one that just fell dead through my thatched roof? Don't worry, I'll get you a new one straight away.

I was thinking of coming to collect his body myself, as that pigeon was close to me. Is it better to come by steam train or airship?

bono_212 said:
To sum up the US talk before anyone else bails, you're right about the US internally, all I was trying to say is that it's not as bad as you may think....while still being pretty bad.

And you sorta answered the gas thing right there by saying you noticed the price while looking out a tram window, our public transportation sucks (except for in Chicago :love: I love you Chicago) But it's still true that it's no where near as high as other countries.

Aaaaand. Yeah, Reagan was bad...real bad.

And yes, it's hard NOT to knock the US right now, so I let it go :wink:

Oh, yeah, the US isn't exactly pulling a Russia internally. I admit, though, that I was rather nervous about what would happen if I fell ill, and I didn't feel half as safe in the US as I do in Australia and New Zealand. The airports felt like prisons and freaked me out.

What's sad is that so many US cities USED to have such good public transportation, with trams and commuter rail and all that stuff. Though public transport is improving after the dark days of the 1970s-90s, from what I've read in railway journals and stuff. :up:

The Sad Punk said:
I have the address for a decent chariot service.

Be cool with them 'cause 'wheels' are still pretty new here, okay?

:lol:

So I better not rent a boganmobile in Frankston and drive there then? The grunt and double exhaust and huuuuge uber-bassy sound system might scare the locals?

The Sad Punk said:
It may frighten them into worshipping you as a local deity of smoke and sound, actually.

Ooh, well then, I do like the idea of having minions, even if I have to use a boganmobile to get them. :hmm:

Just make sure you don't become one of their sacred sacrifices. Those are painful. Somehow, in their amazing, if primitive, abilities, they manage to stuff an entire human body into a 700ml empty bottle of Bundaberg Rum.

The Sad Punk said:
Just make sure you don't become one of their sacred sacrifices. Those are painful. Somehow, in their amazing, if primitive, abilities, they manage to stuff an entire human body into a 700ml empty bottle of Bundaberg Rum.

:yikes:

These bogans of yours have peculiar tribal ways ...

I love this thread. We can agree Paul McGuinness is terrible and not worry about it turning into 200 pages of flames. I love how some people seem to think it's necessary to defend EVERYTHING associated with U2. Paul McGuinness nowadays is totally useless. Sure, he may have been good for the band in the early days, what with making sure the band owned the rights to all their songs and all that. But he is COMPLETELY out of touch with today's music industry and is one of the people hopelessly fighting the tide rather than using some imagination to work with it. He's too comfortable with his traditional business models to give them up, and it can only hurt U2 in the long run.

Morning.

All I have to say about Paul McGuinness is that I don't even know what the hell he does that's so bad anymore because I don't pay attention to what the manager's doing, and the position's kind of useless when you're this big because there's going to be way more people than just one person trying to have a say in how everything should be run.

I agree, I love that we can amicably discuss U2 in here. There are too many nutcases all to willing to follow U2 to the ends of the earth

I say McGuinness and Larry get in a boat, maneuver it over Niagara Falls into the waiting mouth of a few crocodiles, barely escape only to be captured by a rabid tribe of French Canadians.

I don't find Larry's actual drumming to be a big deal. Most bands honestly don't have very creative drumming. Sure, he could do better, but it's not a big deal to me. The only thing that bugs me is his opinion of their work. Then again, they all have shit opinions of their own work, so what makes Larry any different?

phillyfan26 said:
I don't find Larry's actual drumming to be a big deal. Most bands honestly don't have very creative drumming. Sure, he could do better, but it's not a big deal to me. The only thing that bugs me is his opinion of their work. Then again, they all have shit opinions of their own work, so what makes Larry any different?

It's not Larry's drumming that pisses me off so much, but his influence and the fact that he exercises a quarter of the band's creative control. If something's not safe enough for Larry, if it's not radio-friendly or middle of the road, he'll kill it after the Passengers and Pop experience.

bono_212 said:
I agree, I love that we can amicably discuss U2 in here. There are too many nutcases all to willing to follow U2 to the ends of the earth

I say McGuinness and Larry get in a boat, maneuver it over Niagara Falls into the waiting mouth of a few crocodiles, barely escape only to be captured by a rabid tribe of French Canadians.

:lmao:

How about we send them to Antarctica to think about what they've done? Note that their suitcases will contain solely clothing suited to a brief tropical holiday in Fiji.

Axver said:
I love this thread. We can agree Paul McGuinness is terrible and not worry about it turning into 200 pages of flames. I love how some people seem to think it's necessary to defend EVERYTHING associated with U2. Paul McGuinness nowadays is totally useless. Sure, he may have been good for the band in the early days, what with making sure the band owned the rights to all their songs and all that. But he is COMPLETELY out of touch with today's music industry and is one of the people hopelessly fighting the tide rather than using some imagination to work with it. He's too comfortable with his traditional business models to give them up, and it can only hurt U2 in the long run.

You're exactly right in every way, there. I haven't seen a single attempt of his to innovate the industry or even go with the state it's in. All he wants is money. It's gotten to the point now, though, that it would be difficult to get rid of him, or to get rid of Larry as another example, and though I cannot say to what extent, I'd imagine a big part of it is the potential of sacrificing friendship, as dumb as it sounds.

Now that I've actually heard Passengers, I can't believe the direction U2 COULD have gone in.

Axver said:

:lmao:

How about we send them to Antarctica to think about what they've done? Note that their suitcases will contain solely clothing suited to a brief tropical holiday in Fiji.

They should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom