Adelaide, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:
You guys just don't understand. I know what I am doing.

Sorry to be impolite, but are you sure? Because I don't think you do, unless you realize you'll be making a fool of yourself.

No spoken words said:

You have no idea what you're doing, but, you never seem to let that, nor the avalanche of dissenting voices stop you. She does not "deserve" anything from you but respect for her situation. Your feelings for her do not override all other considerations. How do you not recognize that? There's a gap between being a romantic and being a stubborn creep.

Everybody step back for a moment.

Yes, I agree that this isn't a good idea. But I think this might be good for Screwtape, because sometimes you don't realize the consequences of your actions until it actually happens to you, because you are so blinded from everything else. And once you do realize it, it's too late, and the possibilities of any relationship, whether it's friendly or romantic, are ruined.

That is probably what will happen here, but I think it will benefit Screwtape if he goes through it. Sometimes people just don't get it until it happens to them. I think this is true for Screwtape.

Screwtape, I don't say this because I think you're stupid or something, so don't take it the wrong way. I just think that you are blinded by love and a bit naive about relationships in general, and sometimes the best way to learn is to go through it firsthand, even if how you go through it is the wrong way.

So good luck.

Dalton said:

If you want to understand Screwy's motivations, you do.

Well, he also would need to read everything Keats ever wrote, then some Wilde titles, then he'd need to learn to bow, then he'd need to take a rose petal bath, and then he'd start to begin to comprehend Screw-Maloo's thought processes.

phanan said:

Yes, I agree that this isn't a good idea. But I think this might be good for Screwtape, because sometimes you don't realize the consequences of your actions until it actually happens to you, because you are so blinded from everything else. And once you do realize it, it's too late, and the possibilities of any relationship, whether it's friendly or romantic, are ruined.

That is probably what will happen here, but I think it will benefit Screwtape if he goes through it. Sometimes people just don't get it until it happens to them. I think this is true for Screwtape.

Screwtape, I don't say this because I think you're stupid or something, so don't take it the wrong way. I just think that you are blinded by love and a bit naive about relationships in general, and sometimes the best way to learn is to go through it firsthand, even if how you go through it is the wrong way.

So good luck.

So you're essentially telling him to put his hand on the stove to find out what it feels like?

Fair enough.

Screwtape2 said:

It isn't an advance and I'm going to stress that. I just want her to know how I feel. That's all. I respect that she is in a relationship. This is just something I have to do.

parsing words, advance vs letting her know how you feel. that indeed is an advance of sorts, or could very very very possibly be taken as one

good point phanan. regardless of what screwtape does, i'm done telling him what i think he should do though, cuz nothing good will come out of sounding like a broken record.

phanan said:

So good luck.

But it's not like he's asking someone out who is single but out of his league or something. He's not going to learn from this at all. He's confusing romance for making people remarkably uncomfortable. Sorry, but he is the one that needs to take a step back and learn the meaning of restraint.

LemonMelon said:

So you're essentially telling him to put his hand on the stove to find out what it feels like?

Fair enough.

I think at this point, despite how badly this could turn out, in the long run, it might benefit him.

This is based on what I know of his thoughts on this subject and his previous patterns of thinking regarding it.

No spoken words said:

Well, he also would need to read everything Keats ever wrote, then some Wilde titles, then he'd need to learn to bow, then he'd need to take a rose petal bath, and then he'd start to begin to comprehend Screw-Maloo's thought processes.

God, I picked a good day to drop in.

Actually, I think Screwtape should do this. Maybe when he gets a load of library girl's response, he'll be a better person for it.

EDIT: just realized Phanan said the same thing. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

She deserves to know. I don't that is disrespectful. I am not going to make her break up with her boyfriend.

Peefan already called you on the "deserve" thing - but "make her break up" - I know you said you weren't going to, but to even use that language implies that you think you potentially could do that. You can't. Again, extremely disrespectful.

No spoken words said:

But it's not like he's asking someone out who is single but out of his league or something. He's not going to learn from this at all. He's confusing romance for making people remarkably uncomfortable. Sorry, but he is the one that needs to take a step back and learn the meaning of restraint.

Normally, I'd agree. But from what I've seen of Screwtape's thoughts when it comes to these kinds of things, I don't think it's going to matter until it slaps him in the face and wakes him up.

phanan said:

Normally, I'd agree. But from what I've seen of Screwtape's thoughts when it comes to these kinds of things, I don't think it's going to matter until it slaps him in the face and wakes him up.

:up:

phanan said:

True enough.

RB, I am well, thanks....yourself???

phanan said:

I think at this point, despite how badly this could turn out, in the long run, it might benefit him.

This is based on what I know of his thoughts on this subject and his previous patterns of thinking regarding it.

It IS a valid way of looking at this issue.

The problem is that, again, it's disrespectful to the person he claims to have feelings for and, to be frank, I also don't think Screwtape is ready for what could happen because of this. Perhaps on an intellectual plane, but not emotionally. This could really hurt him if he's not only rejected, but shunned.

LemonMelon said:

It IS a valid way of looking at this issue.

The problem is that, again, it's disrespectful to the person he claims to have feelings for and, to be frank, I also don't think Screwtape is ready for what could happen because of this. Perhaps on an intellectual plane, but not emotionally. This could really hurt him if he's not only rejected, but shunned.

You little Emo pansy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom