Adelaide, Australia Superthread - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #211
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:50 AM
I still don't have Passengers. I listened once to it, but that was years ago.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #212
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
You're exactly right in every way, there. I haven't seen a single attempt of his to innovate the industry or even go with the state it's in. All he wants is money. It's gotten to the point now, though, that it would be difficult to get rid of him, or to get rid of Larry as another example, and though I cannot say to what extent, I'd imagine a big part of it is the potential of sacrificing friendship, as dumb as it sounds.
Phanan and I were discussing last night that the music industry's current elite and executives need to hurry up and adapt or just get left behind. Music has moved online in a big way, and despite their fearmongering, it's still alive - and in my opinion, doing better than ever. Actually, were you here for that discussion? I forget who was around.

On a different note, just look at U2's tours. As their manager, McGuinness obviously has a big say in the schedule. And you can tell he's still stuck in the mid to late eighties! Two legs of the US, with a summer run through Europe, and if you're lucky, some shows elsewhere tacked on at the end. Asia doesn't exist outside Japan.

But with the way the global economy is going, Europe is now a massively profitable market, the US$'s decline makes America less attractive than it used to be, and mainland Asia has an increasing demand for concerts.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #213
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
Now that I've actually heard Passengers, I can't believe the direction U2 COULD have gone in.
The world needs more of Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, One Minute Warning, etc.

Beach Sequence is on my next Desert Island submission, actually ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:50 PM
All I know is that if U2 ends up doing a completely stadium show like the rumors are saying....

I will be very angry while I stand in the pit
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #215
Blue Crack Distributor

In all seriousness though, if it was just stadium, I would consider not going. I don't understand how that can be an entertaining experience at all. Soooo many people, and the impossibility of having a good seat. Plus the cost of tickets. I may love U2 but it's just not worth it.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Phanan and I were discussing last night that the music industry's current elite and executives need to hurry up and adapt or just get left behind. Music has moved online in a big way, and despite their fearmongering, it's still alive - and in my opinion, doing better than ever. Actually, were you here for that discussion? I forget who was around.

On a different note, just look at U2's tours. As their manager, McGuinness obviously has a big say in the schedule. And you can tell he's still stuck in the mid to late eighties! Two legs of the US, with a summer run through Europe, and if you're lucky, some shows elsewhere tacked on at the end. Asia doesn't exist outside Japan.

But with the way the global economy is going, Europe is now a massively profitable market, the US$'s decline makes America less attractive than it used to be, and mainland Asia has an increasing demand for concerts.
No, I don't believe I was there - when was it?

McGuinness is stuck in the wrong parts of the mid-to-late 80s. I wouldn't have a problem if they did something like Lovetown again! I'm sure you wouldn't either and daydream about it constantly.

U2 were planning to play India in an earlier tour, right? Funny they never bothered following up on that.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #217
Vocal parasite

Quote:
All I know is that if U2 ends up doing a completely stadium show like the rumors are saying....

I will be very angry while I stand in the pit
Rumours? I haven't kept up with the recent rumour mill.

And after seeing Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree in very small venues from the front row, I've no fucking idea how I'm meant to go back to arenas, let alone stadiums ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #218
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Rumours? I haven't kept up with the recent rumour mill.

And after seeing Explosions In The Sky and Porcupine Tree in very small venues from the front row, I've no fucking idea how I'm meant to go back to arenas, let alone stadiums ...
I heard it from a friend who heard it from someone else that Live Nation wants to just to stadium shows, banking on U2's ability to sell out such venues.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #219
Blue Crack Distributor

......I just got a last.fm friend request from...this guy http://www.last.fm/user/parzifalix/

Anyone speak Russian?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #220
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

No, I don't believe I was there - when was it?
It goes from here: http://forum.interference.com/showth...35#post5144235

I think the most important post is: http://forum.interference.com/showth...75#post5144275

Quote:
McGuinness is stuck in the wrong parts of the mid-to-late 80s. I wouldn't have a problem if they did something like Lovetown again! I'm sure you wouldn't either and daydream about it constantly.

U2 were planning to play India in an earlier tour, right? Funny they never bothered following up on that.
True, a Lovetown would be nice. But now ... every tour since ZooTV has followed pretty much the same template. It's bloody irritating!

And yeah, India was originally going to feature on War. They were going to come to India, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. But they were worn out (and fairly enough; their tour schedule was rough then) and only did Japan, with New Zealand and Australia opening the UF Tour and India being forever forgotten.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #221
Blue Crack Distributor

two more grades in, History of Broadcasting - A, Anthropology B (which is fine by me considering I got a D on the final in that class )
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #222
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I heard it from a friend who heard it from someone else that Live Nation wants to just to stadium shows, banking on U2's ability to sell out such venues.
Really though, U2 does need to return to playing stadiums in the US again, at least in big markets like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and such. It would save a hell of a lot of time.

And stadium shows if you get nice and close really aren't any worse than arena shows.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #223
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Really though, U2 does need to return to playing stadiums in the US again, at least in big markets like LA, NYC, Boston, Chicago, and such. It would save a hell of a lot of time.

And stadium shows if you get nice and close really aren't any worse than arena shows.
Let me put it to you this way Axver.

I am 155 CM tall. Stadium shows are not good for my health
Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #224
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Let me put it to you this way Axver.

I am 155 CM tall. Stadium shows are not good for my health
Actually, I only know height in feet!

I'm 5'6-7" and nearly legally blind. I'm fucked even in tiny venues if I'm not front row or bloody near it!

But I did seven U2 stadium shows and they fucking rocked.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #225
Blue Crack Distributor

See, here I'm thinking you were all metricy and it would be nice of me to convert

I'm 5'1"

Tags
superthread