Adelaide, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_212 said:
It's Clarence Clemons in my sig, Sax. player from Springsteen's E Street Band.

It's from the video for dancing in the dark. It's pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever, made even more ridiculous by a sketch from SNL, that I will now go track down.

http://www.jibjab.com/view/146892

The great thing is that, as much as it happens in the SNL vid, it really only happens ONCE in the original video

Alisaura said:

Wow, that's pretty cool. :up:

Mine involved a co-worker of mine building a still out of cardboard, blu-tack, and big glass bottles. :scratch:

It was more than cool. I thought it'd get more reception, actually. Perhaps if I mentioned that U2 played a show there, Axver might prick his ears up. :hmm:

I have no idea what that dream could mean. :lol: I sort of think the whole dreams-meaning-something thing is bullshit, at least it is with mine. But I actually do sort of wonder what that one could mean!

Axver said:
Ah, so it seems my decision not to go into tacky shops was a wise one ...
Come on, the hilarity factor is priceless... as is seeing all those tourists seriously buying stuff... :lol:

And before you all tell me off, I played the tourist to the Nth degree while I was away. I bought dozens of t-shirts and fridge magnets and keyrings and bookmarks and booklets and god knows what else. And it was great. :D

Totally random, but Ali, see the latest VIC state budget?

I am so fucking disillusioned by politics right now. Labour's doing absolutely fuck-all and I'm quite unhappy with the budget, but what is the alternative? The Coalition! Urrrggghhh. I'll take ineffective, useless Labour over them any day.

:(

Alisaura said:

Come on, the hilarity factor is priceless... as is seeing all those tourists seriously buying stuff... :lol:

And before you all tell me off, I played the tourist to the Nth degree while I was away. I bought dozens of t-shirts and fridge magnets and keyrings and bookmarks and booklets and god knows what else. And it was great. :D

:lol:

I've long since stopped buying touristy stuff, since I get home and do absolutely bugger-all with it!

The Sad Punk said:
It was more than cool. I thought it'd get more reception, actually. Perhaps if I mentioned that U2 played a show there, Axver might prick his ears up. :hmm:

I have no idea what that dream could mean. :lol: I sort of think the whole dreams-meaning-something thing is bullshit, at least it is with mine. But I actually do sort of wonder what that one could mean!
Sorry, I didn't want to get all PLEBAn on you and go "ZOMG YOU HAD A U2 DREAM!!!" :hyper: :drool:

:wink:

I have all sorts of random weird dreams, although not so often any more. I did have one back when ATYCLB was new, where I tried to get Bono to explain Stuck to me, but he ended up trying to explain Walk On instead. And we got shot at after leaving Aung San Suu Kyi's house. :huh:

I think universal dream interpretation is bollocks... the same thing in a dream might mean different things to different people. You can't go around saying "Dreaming about volcanoes means that you're worried about your career" and apply it to everyone.
I would be prepared to believe that some dreams might mean SOMETHING to that person, but it'd be a highly personal sort of thing for them to figure out what all the symbolism was, if anything.

Axver said:
Totally random, but Ali, see the latest VIC state budget?

I am so fucking disillusioned by politics right now. Labour's doing absolutely fuck-all and I'm quite unhappy with the budget, but what is the alternative? The Coalition! Urrrggghhh. I'll take ineffective, useless Labour over them any day.

:(
I haven't seen/heard about the budget, no... I take it things are looking bad for public transport/education?

I don't want a coalition govt. either, but it might be nice if the Labour lot thought they were in danger of losing to them, and actually had a reason to, I don't know, DO SOMETHING.

:madspit:

Axver said:
I've long since stopped buying touristy stuff, since I get home and do absolutely bugger-all with it!
I figured it was a once in a lifetime trip (I hope not, now!), and if nothing else, it was my first big trip overseas as an adult, so I figured I was allowed to go nuts, after planning and saving for years for it.

I've got an archive box full of it now... and it's good. :D

Alisaura said:

I haven't seen/heard about the budget, no... I take it things are looking bad for public transport/education?

I don't want a coalition govt. either, but it might be nice if the Labour lot thought they were in danger of losing to them, and actually had a reason to, I don't know, DO SOMETHING.

:madspit:

Public transport? Education? What's that? This budget is all about families, babies, business tax cuts ...!

phanan said:
So who the hell is Adelaide, anyway?

I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
Hi phanan :wave:

I think the city of Adelaide was named after King William the Somethingth's wife/queen, in the 1830s.

(I was coincidentally looking up this stuff the other day... freakeh.)

phanan said:

"is old and it needs work"

Ain't that the truth.

I've seen much worse dug out of riverbeds and restored to full working condition.

The Sad Punk said:

So, how old is that?

Not sure how old that one specifically is. The Taits were built between 1909 and 1951, with the last ones retired in 1984.

Alisaura said:

:madspit:, I say again.

I expected squat for public transport in the first place, and yet it still managed to astonish me with how little they are doing.

Hey, guys, heard of this funny thing called LONG TERM PLANNING?

Alisaura said:

Hi phanan :wave:

I think the city of Adelaide was named after King William the Somethingth's wife/queen, in the 1830s.

(I was coincidentally looking up this stuff the other day... freakeh.)

Greetings. :wave:

Ah, fuck work. I'm going to go read up on this. I find Australian history fascinating.

Alisaura said:

"pick up only... no postage"

:lmao:

Not a bad price for a train...! And what were you planning on doing with it, Ax? :wink:

Restore it to working order and live in it/use it to get around. :drool:

Axver said:
I expected squat for public transport in the first place, and yet it still managed to astonish me with how little they are doing.

Hey, guys, heard of this funny thing called LONG TERM PLANNING?
Apparently not. One downside of having elections every three/four years, I suppose.

Alisaura said:

YES.

I probably still won't go... but every song must be related to travel somehow.

The Porcupine Tree Railway Spectacular?

1. Trains
2. Pure Narcotic
3. Way Out Of Here
Etc.

I just had the craziest vision of Axver riding around in his own train with The Wanderer (that old song, not the U2 thing) blasting from some speakers

phanan said:
Ah, fuck work. I'm going to go read up on this. I find Australian history fascinating.
An attitude I can heartily endorse! :D (the "fuck work" thing, anyway... I really should know more Australian history. We didn't get a great deal of it at school, to my shame.)

I really need to get to bed, and/or pack. Which basically involves throwing three days' worth of clothes into a bag and making a mental note to throw my pillow in the boot tomorrow morning...

Alisaura said:

Apparently not. One downside of having elections every three/four years, I suppose.

It's embarrassing. I really have trouble imagining how the Libs could do much worse than this. Melbourne's bursting at the seams but where's the money to add more tracks, buy more trains, extend lines to new suburbs so they don't become car-dependent? Oh, it's all gone towards "a great budget for mums and babies"! GFY, Labour.

Next election, I will probably preference Labour only marginally above the Libs. Green all the way. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom