Acupunture - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Re: Re: Acupunture

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

unless a knowledgable MD refers you to it i would think you'd be better of saving your money.
I could not disagree more. I don't know if acupuncture is an effective treatment for tinnitus or not but it's a rare and, imo, special MD trained in Western allopathic medicine who is open to, and/or knowledgeable about, alternative (holistic) treatments, which is a shame because they can work so well together.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
^now I really have to go. I would love for my sprained ankle to heal that fast.
My acupuncturist told me that if you don't get treatment for a sprain right away it might not heal so dramatically fast the way mine did. She said it was a combination of all the right things that did it--the fact that I iced it, elevated it and got the acupuncture treatment the next day. Had I waited a few days it would still help but not as dramatically, apparently. It's the same with a cold. If you treat it as soon as you feel it coming on, you've a much better chance of nipping it.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

You're a claims investigator. I said "so you claim", in a 'clever' play on words.

Haha?
Aww, you are clever.... OK, we're on the same page!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:56 AM
I'm of the opinion, if Joyful is willing to recommend something, then dont hesitate.

Seriously, my ceramics teacher is another chronic migraine sufferer and she swears by the needles. She also has back pain which she gets it for as well, from a car accident years ago or something. Anyone I've ever spoken to who has it done says the same thing. I'd really love to try it. I'm also scared of needles, but these are sworn to not hurt by avoiding major nerve routes or something.
Those ancient remedies can be bloody clever, dont underestimate them!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:12 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Re: Re: Re: Acupunture

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I could not disagree more. I don't know if acupuncture is an effective treatment for tinnitus or not but it's a rare and, imo, special MD trained in Western allopathic medicine who is open to, and/or knowledgeable about, alternative (holistic) treatments, which is a shame because they can work so well together.
I agree. However, over in England you can get acupuncture treatment on the NHS which must mean there is some evidence for the effectiveness of acupuncture treatment if they are using it alongside more conventional treatments. The thought is that the needles somehow block pain signals from reaching the brain, prevetning your perception of pain. There is also evidence that acupuncture stimulates the realse of chemicals in the brain which aid pain relief.

I don't know whether it works for tinnitus or not though so you are right to be cautious - it may be worth asking your doctor what he thinks of it as a treatment before you spend money or whatever. I would recommend finding out if there is some official acupuncture body or organisation who could recommend a qualifed acupuncturist to you also.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Acupuncture is a way of life in a lot of other countries and everyone I know who's done it says it works, so no worries!

Anyone ever tried another treatment where they place glass cups on your back filled with hot air that suctions your flesh leaving you looking like a giant octopus got ya?

foray
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:56 PM
it seems to work in my opinion.
my brother, my mom, and I have done it before. for free too because we have a family friend that's a acupuncture... guy.
my brother sprained his ankle, my mom sprained her wrist, and I... had a cold/sinus problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Anyone ever tried another treatment where they place glass cups on your back filled with hot air that suctions your flesh leaving you looking like a giant octopus got ya?

foray

My dad did that I forget why.
They kind of prick the skin with this needleish kind of thing and when they suction it with the glass cup, it sucks out the blood. He had to do that on his back and his stomach. Yuck.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:56 PM
I'm trying to find a doctor that will perform acupuncture on the NHS for my headaches.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 PM
The needles are super thin (really tiny diameter) which is why it's not a painful procedure at all.

I think it's worth a shot. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and then you're back where you started anyway, not like any damage has been done (and it's not prohibitively expensive).