Acts you never gave a chance, but like now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
What music acts have you done a U-Turn on and discovered you actually like now. Radiohead was the latest for me. Had The Bends album for about 10 yrs but never really gave them a chance as i thought their music was depressing and boring. Now they in my top 5 faves

Kaiser Chiefs, used to think they were a scummy band, but they slowly but surely grew on me and are now one of me favourite live acts.

Sufjan Stevens, he's cracking.

For some weird reason I didn't like Illinoise much at all at first. One day about a year after it came out, Seer's Tower came on and I loved it. Listened to the album again a number of times and liked more and more songs each time. Have since bought a number more of his records and have been won over.

Grateful Dead. I was so against hippies and drug users in high school, and didn't want anything to do with that scene.

I'm not any kind of huge fan now, and still am not crazy about the jam band culture, but about 4 years ago I stumbled across a few CDs my stepmother had, and I now have a couple albums and can appreciate some of their stuff.

Laz:
Hippy.jpg

For some weird reason I didn't like Illinoise much at all at first. One day about a year after it came out, Seer's Tower came on and I loved it. Listened to the album again a number of times and liked more and more songs each time. Have since bought a number more of his records and have been won over.

I liked Michigan earlier, but yeah, Seer's Tower was kind of confirmation for me liking Illinois. It turned Casimir Pulaski Day from a boring ballad into one of my favourite songs of the decade.

What music acts have you done a U-Turn on and discovered you actually like now. Radiohead was the latest for me. Had The Bends album for about 10 yrs but never really gave them a chance as i thought their music was depressing and boring. Now they in my top 5 faves

Spot on :up:

Had OK Comp for a while, hated it, then gave it a full spin, now I'm quite into them

Tom Petty.

Rock stars with blonde hair never convinced me until i heard Runnin' Down A Dream and found out it was by him. i've reaped the rewards ever since.

Morphine. I got one of their albums ages ago, thought it was boring, haven't played it for seven years or so, then tried it again this year and discovered I actually liked it a lot.

With many bands/artists I love now it was more a case of getting used to the vocals that put me off their music, most notably Bjork and Muse.

Feist.

It's not that I never gave her a chance before, I just didn't care for it when I first heard it. Now I love it!

I couldn't get into Sigur Ros based on (). I remember a thread where melon shamed me (in a melony lighthearted way) for not liking them. So I picked up the live EP to give them another chance and put it on while making dinner and put it on repeat because I didn't want to be bothered with changing records while I was cooking. It played over and over and by the time the dishes were done I was obsessed.

Incubus. I'm still not crazy about them but after having one of their CDs lie mostly dormant for many years it was nice to discover on relistening that I really like it.

Tom Vek.

The first few times I heard his songs, I thought they were obnoxious. Then one more play of "I Ain't Saying My Goodbyes" clicked with me. I bought the album, and it was nice to groove to. :up:

The Corrs.

Before I thought all they did was cover songs (Dreams, Stars Go Blue), but after including them on my Yahoo Launchcast, I now have a CD of their songs I downloaded, and am now working on a second!

I'm like Sarcene, it's mostly vocals that either suck me in or put me off. Explains Radiohead... because it can be quite understand a word that serial whiner sings sometimes I reckon. :wink:

Same kinda thing with me for The Mars Volta, I like some of the music but then whoever starts singing and I've had enough.

My big one is Joy Division. I first got interested in the mid 90s when Nine Inch Nails covered Dead Souls for The Crow soundtrack. JD's Permanent compilation had just come out, so I bought a copy but I didn't like what heard. I thought Ian sounded too much like Jim Morrison and I never did like The Doors. Then one day about 8 years later, I was listening to the radio and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" came on and it finally clicked.

The poppy sound and slightly annoying breathy vocals on the earlier John Mayer stuff almost had me at the point of dismissing him entirely, and then I listened to his awesome Try! album.

Back
Top Bottom