Activist changes name to Kentuckyfriedcruelty.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
:happy:
[q]Activist changes name to Kentuckyfriedcruelty.com
30/12/2005 - 18:52:51

A 19-year-old animal rights activist in New York has legally changed his name to KentuckyFriedCruelty.com.

Chris Garnett, youth outreach co-ordinator for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), said he changed his name in suport of the group’s anti-KFC campaign.

“People don’t believe me at first when I tell them my name, but it never fails to spark a discussion,” KentuckyFriendCruelty.com, said.

“Many vow to boycott KFC after I explain the company’s indifference to cruelty to animals.”

Peta’s complaints against KFC stem from video footage shot last year recording alleged mistreatment of birds at a Pilgrim’s Pride plant in Moorefield, West Virginia. The plant is a KFC supplier.

Yum! Brands, the parent company of KFC, has disputed the claims of mistreatment.

In June, a grand jury refused to indict former workers at the West Virginia chicken plant.

Pamela Anderson, who has narrated a Peta video showing the alleged abuse, supports Garnett’s name change.

“I’m sure Chris can’t wait ’till KFC stops torturing chickens so he can change his name back,” the actress said, adding that the chicken abuse “is awful and has to stop.”[/q]

I love finding these strange stories.

I don't support all PETA does and I think that name change is silly, but when I do think about what kind of lives and deaths the meat and poultry I eat had, I get pretty nauseous. I know for sure that if I had to kill my own meat I would be a vegetarian, so I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify being a hypocrite. I think it's more of an "I've always done this" type of thing than a real need for meat. And I suspect that a vegetarian diet would be a far more healthful diet for me as well.

indra said:
I know for sure that if I had to kill my own meat I would be a vegetarian, so I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify being a hypocrite. I think it's more of an "I've always done this" type of thing than a real need for meat. And I suspect that a vegetarian diet would be a far more healthful diet for me as well.
Same here. The thing is, though, that mass-production anything isn't very pretty, so it should of little suprise as to the uglyness of the conditions that animals produced solely for consumption live under.

Now, I'd be very nice to poultry if I were raising my own stock. Lots of grain and good stuff to make them really fat, give them a nice life in the coop, and then when it's time to eat, just sneak up behind them and etc.

Considering the 'health benefits' of eating KFC, the way the chickens are raised really isn't much of a suprise :|

I've recently switched to a vegan diet. I know the mass production of meat/dairy isn't the sole cause of world hunger and poverty, since we know there are many social and political aspects to it, BUT it still remains a part of the problem. I can't solve everything, but the things I can-I try and do. I couldn't justify my eating habits anymore. :shrug:

I am not however going to go all crazy like this guy though! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom