Acne miracle cures - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Acne miracle cures

So I have struggled with acne since the tender age of 13, been on a variety of antibiotics, topicals such as Retin-A, had several rounds of Accutane. Some helped more than others but I wasn't willing with any of these things to stay on it long term (esp. antibiotics and Accutane) so it always came back.

Just wondered if anyone has had success with any of the over-the-counter (OTC) treatment options. My face is the clearest it has ever been with no side effects since I started doing a vitamin supplement back in mid-November. I came across the initial info at http://www.vilantae.com/medical_study.htm. I do not use the product offered at this site, all it is is Vitamin B5 aka Pantothenic Acid, which you can get at any health food store. The initial recommended dose is 20 of the 500mg tablets or capsules daily - sounds like a lot, but since it is a water-soluble vitamin you can't really overdose on it. I am starting to back down the dose and have been maintaining my skin on 16 capsules/day for almost 3 weeks, and I'll try backing down again in a few days.

I wouldn't advise anyone do this regimen based on the 2 lines I've written, do your own research. I just wanted to share something that has worked amazingly for me and might help someone else too. There were days I seriously wanted to call in sick because my face looked so bad and I couldn't hide it with make-up. Now I'm not dreading waking up in the morning to see what new pimples have sprung up overnight. I can get ready to go out much more quickly since I am not having to do so much face 'spackling'!

I am interested to know if anyone has experience with anything else such as Proactiv or Epiclear etc that has made a huge difference for your complexion.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:35 AM
I have cystic acne, they say nothing but Accutane can even prevent it. I have to get cortisone injections when it gets too bad.
I'm not quite willing to do Accutane yet--if I'm going to ruin my liver and brain, I might as well do it the old fashioned way...with alcoholism!

Despite the cystic acne, my skin has been tons better since I started using Philosophy's products. I use their soap, the Hope in a Bottle and On a Clear Day moisturizers, both for acne. They are expensive, but it lasts a long time and your skin feels fantastic--like a baby! Make-up goes on so smooth, it's just amazing. My rosasca has almost completely cleared up, and I don't get regular breakouts. It's wonderful. They'll hook you up with samples so you could try it first.

Thanks for the recommendation! This has just started in the past year which says something in my body is out of whack, maybe this vitamin would do the trick...

Old 02-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 01:35 AM
will it truly work??
Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I think the success rate with the severe cystic acne is a bit lower compared to run-of-the-mill acne. What made me hesitate a bit about trying this was the warning that for some people the acne will worsen for the 1st week or 2 after starting it. There is never a 'good' time to pick for your acne to worsen, but it is something to be aware of so you don't too quickly say, this sucks and won't work for me. I didn't see a noticeable worsening after starting it. I really didn't have any problems with the side effects they say somepeople have with headaches or GI upset either.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I've always had acne, never severe, but I've had it since I was 11 and I'm 21 now and it's never really gotten any better or worse. Birth control didn't help like they said it would. I use OTC face washes 2-3 times a day, anything with little or no salicylic acid b/c that makes my skin turn dry, cracked, and red. I'm also interested to know what works. Anyone use that Proactiv stuff they show on TV? It doesn't seem much more expensive than the combinations of regular OTC washes, masks, and exfoliants I've been trying.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I did use Proactiv a few years ago, used consistently for about 1 year. Saw some mild improvement but eventually stopped using it because my skin was becoming too dry and irritated on it (and still was having breakouts).
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

it seems like things that dry my skin out make it worse. Overwashing and not using a moisturizer make my skin look awful.

I like products with glycolic acid in it. it keeps the skin exfoliated without being harsh like a scrub. Though i don't break out much anymore
Old 02-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
it seems like things that dry my skin out make it worse. Overwashing and not using a moisturizer make my skin look awful.

I like products with glycolic acid in it. it keeps the skin exfoliated without being harsh like a scrub. Though i don't break out much anymore
Sounds like me, especially in the winter. After I wash in the morning, my face is so dry, the skin on my nose and cheeks is literally peeling (and all I use is Noxema Triple Clean). I hate wearing liquid concealers b/c I always feel like they're making it worse (they feel greasy and gumpy), but my housemate gave me this Neutrogena stuff that I like, so I mix that with plain lotion. Two hours later, my skin is all oily again.

Are there any products in particular with the glycolic acid that worked for you?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
New Yorker

I too have had acne probs. I went on Accutane once, reluctantly after the dermo told me my fingernails may turn black and fall off I think that overall it did help though.

My biggest problem with the prescription cleansers is the dry out factor as well. It dries out your skin, and then your pores overproduce oil and it just breeds more break-outs. blah.

So now to begin answering your question I have switched cleansers many times, so I haven't developed any brand loyalty quite yet. My mom uses Purpose cleanser, and it really is good stuff. I myself use Purpose moisturizer. I only recently realized how necessary a moisturizer is (it just seems strange moisturing when you have oily skin). I've started using St. Ives products and I love 'em! I use the Apricot Scrub for blemish and blackhead control in the morning and then Apricot Radiance blemish-fighting cream cleanser at night. They do contain salyctic acid, but I don't find them overdrying (atleast not when paired with my moisturizer).

I still have problems with oily skin though. I need to find an alternative make-up to use. I've been using a liquid concealer by a friend's suggestion, but it leaves my face feeling slick and icky just as LivLuv described.

Actually, I've been going without any mak-up lately, because I can't decide what to buy It's probably good to give your skin a breather anyway.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Are there any products in particular with the glycolic acid that worked for you?
since I don't know which part is working well i'll tell you everything I use regularly

neutrogena healthy skin cleanser it has salicylic acid in it but also has alpha hydroxy

. then DDF (from sephora but you can find it online) glycolic tonic 10%

I do both of those at morning and night.

and sephora super smart moisturizer with spf during the day.

i break out without a moisturizer so that's important for me.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

My regimen is:

-Clean & Clear foaming facial cleanser sensitive skin, used on a Buf-Puf facial sponge to lightly exfoliate - a.m. and p.m.

-Epi-clear spray (0.5% salycylic acid) - a.m. and p.m.

-Aveeno Naturals Ultra-calming daily moisturizer - a.m. only

-Bare Minerals makeup (all crushed minerals/powders) - a.m.

I am going to try cutting out the Epi-clear and see if the results last - but I had been using epi-clear for a few months before starting the b5 and wasn't seeing a big difference.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Diane-35 is apparently a miracle drug. It is a birth control pill which is not available in the USA. You will hear that this is for safety reasons (somewhat increased propensity for forming blood clots) but in fact it is because in the US, the only birth control pill allowed to make a statement about acne is Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and they have a multi-million dollar lobby in Washington to prevent any other drug in that category from entering the market.

I don't know personally how it works, and you'll hate me for saying I've never had a zit in my life. It's a genetic thing - my father has never, ever had one in his 55 years. But I do know a couple of girls who took Diane-35 for this and apparently it changed their life, took about 3-6 months.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Diane-35 is apparently a miracle drug. It is a birth control pill which is not available in the USA. You will hear that this is for safety reasons (somewhat increased propensity for forming blood clots) but in fact it is because in the US, the only birth control pill allowed to make a statement about acne is Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and they have a multi-million dollar lobby in Washington to prevent any other drug in that category from entering the market.
i can vouch for this. my skin never looked better than when i was was taking diane-35.

if i recall correctly, the packaging didn't mention anything about it being an oral contraceptive. all i remember was that it said 'acne treatment'.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

story time:

So, I found out a few days ago that I have a really bad case of keratosis pilaris. It's really common, something like 50% of all people in the world have it... if you get lots of little bumps on the backs of your arms, that's probably what that is. What it means is that the skin around your hair follicles is too sticky and plugs up your follicle, hence the bumps. My problem is that mine traps the hair in there and I get a bazillion ingrown hairs... I've had it all my life and all my life my arms (and legs and various other parts of my body) look like a minefield, but I never had insurance that would cover a trip to the dermatologist until now.

I'm getting to the point soon, I promise.

Apparently I also have this crap on my face. What that means is that since dry skin makes it worse, I was just making my face problems worse by using acne products, since most of those are designed to dry your skin out. The moral of this story is, if the regular acne products aren't working for you or making it worse, you might want to go the other way. Salicylic acid does help, but only if it doesn't dry your skin out. Face powder always makes it worse, even the kind for dry skin. Also, you probably don't have this stuff on your face (usu. cheeks) if it's not on your arms too.

Since we're sharing regimens...
kristie's previous poor college student regimen:
morning:
noxema cream cleanser... you know, the cheap stuff
neutrogena pore refining toner (mostly alcohol, but somehow non-drying)
clean&clear dual-action moisturizer (has salicylic acid, but moisturizes pretty well too... sometimes needed a little extra on my nose in the winter)

evening:
some damn brand's (...neutrogena? maybe? it was blue) blackhead clearing scrub (salicylic acid again)
neutrogena pore refining toner again
neutrogena bump minimizing lotion (I used it for body lotion too. Totally recommend it if you have kp and can't afford the dermatologist)

That worked pretty well.. but the dermatologist gave me a scrip for lactic acid cream that I'm supposed to use twice a day, so I cut out all the stuff with salicylic acid because I thought it might be a little too much acid.

Sorry about the essay, but I've been wrestling with blemishes on my face now for about 10 years, and I just want to share in case anyone else might have the same problem.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Proactive solution really works for me.