Acne miracle cures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
So I have struggled with acne since the tender age of 13, been on a variety of antibiotics, topicals such as Retin-A, had several rounds of Accutane. Some helped more than others but I wasn't willing with any of these things to stay on it long term (esp. antibiotics and Accutane) so it always came back.

Just wondered if anyone has had success with any of the over-the-counter (OTC) treatment options. My face is the clearest it has ever been with no side effects since I started doing a vitamin supplement back in mid-November. I came across the initial info at http://www.vilantae.com/medical_study.htm. I do not use the product offered at this site, all it is is Vitamin B5 aka Pantothenic Acid, which you can get at any health food store. The initial recommended dose is 20 of the 500mg tablets or capsules daily - sounds like a lot, but since it is a water-soluble vitamin you can't really overdose on it. I am starting to back down the dose and have been maintaining my skin on 16 capsules/day for almost 3 weeks, and I'll try backing down again in a few days.

I wouldn't advise anyone do this regimen based on the 2 lines I've written, do your own research. I just wanted to share something that has worked amazingly for me and might help someone else too. There were days I seriously wanted to call in sick because my face looked so bad and I couldn't hide it with make-up. Now I'm not dreading waking up in the morning to see what new pimples have sprung up overnight. I can get ready to go out much more quickly since I am not having to do so much face 'spackling'!

I am interested to know if anyone has experience with anything else such as Proactiv or Epiclear etc that has made a huge difference for your complexion.

I have cystic acne, they say nothing but Accutane can even prevent it. I have to get cortisone injections when it gets too bad.
:( I'm not quite willing to do Accutane yet--if I'm going to ruin my liver and brain, I might as well do it the old fashioned way...with alcoholism!

Despite the cystic acne, my skin has been tons better since I started using Philosophy's products. I use their soap, the Hope in a Bottle and On a Clear Day moisturizers, both for acne. They are expensive, but it lasts a long time and your skin feels fantastic--like a baby! Make-up goes on so smooth, it's just amazing. My rosasca has almost completely cleared up, and I don't get regular breakouts. It's wonderful. They'll hook you up with samples so you could try it first.

Thanks for the recommendation! This has just started in the past year which says something in my body is out of whack, maybe this vitamin would do the trick... :hmm:

Last edited:
I think the success rate with the severe cystic acne is a bit lower compared to run-of-the-mill acne. What made me hesitate a bit about trying this was the warning that for some people the acne will worsen for the 1st week or 2 after starting it. There is never a 'good' time to pick for your acne to worsen, but it is something to be aware of so you don't too quickly say, this sucks and won't work for me. I didn't see a noticeable worsening after starting it. I really didn't have any problems with the side effects they say somepeople have with headaches or GI upset either.

I've always had acne, never severe, but I've had it since I was 11 and I'm 21 now and it's never really gotten any better or worse. Birth control didn't help like they said it would. I use OTC face washes 2-3 times a day, anything with little or no salicylic acid b/c that makes my skin turn dry, cracked, and red. I'm also interested to know what works. Anyone use that Proactiv stuff they show on TV? It doesn't seem much more expensive than the combinations of regular OTC washes, masks, and exfoliants I've been trying.

I did use Proactiv a few years ago, used consistently for about 1 year. Saw some mild improvement but eventually stopped using it because my skin was becoming too dry and irritated on it (and still was having breakouts).

it seems like things that dry my skin out make it worse. Overwashing and not using a moisturizer make my skin look awful.

I like products with glycolic acid in it. it keeps the skin exfoliated without being harsh like a scrub. Though i don't break out much anymore :hmm:

redkat said:
it seems like things that dry my skin out make it worse. Overwashing and not using a moisturizer make my skin look awful.

I like products with glycolic acid in it. it keeps the skin exfoliated without being harsh like a scrub. Though i don't break out much anymore :hmm:

Sounds like me, especially in the winter. After I wash in the morning, my face is so dry, the skin on my nose and cheeks is literally peeling (and all I use is Noxema Triple Clean). I hate wearing liquid concealers b/c I always feel like they're making it worse (they feel greasy and gumpy), but my housemate gave me this Neutrogena stuff that I like, so I mix that with plain lotion. Two hours later, my skin is all oily again. :huh:

Are there any products in particular with the glycolic acid that worked for you?

I too have had acne probs. I went on Accutane once, reluctantly after the dermo told me my fingernails may turn black and fall off :huh: I think that overall it did help though.

My biggest problem with the prescription cleansers is the dry out factor as well. It dries out your skin, and then your pores overproduce oil and it just breeds more break-outs. blah.

So now to begin answering your question :wink: I have switched cleansers many times, so I haven't developed any brand loyalty quite yet. My mom uses Purpose cleanser, and it really is good stuff. I myself use Purpose moisturizer. I only recently realized how necessary a moisturizer is (it just seems strange moisturing when you have oily skin). I've started using St. Ives products and I love 'em! I use the Apricot Scrub for blemish and blackhead control in the morning and then Apricot Radiance blemish-fighting cream cleanser at night. They do contain salyctic acid, but I don't find them overdrying (atleast not when paired with my moisturizer).

I still have problems with oily skin though. I need to find an alternative make-up to use. I've been using a liquid concealer by a friend's suggestion, but it leaves my face feeling slick and icky just as LivLuv described.

Actually, I've been going without any mak-up lately, because I can't decide what to buy :huh: It's probably good to give your skin a breather anyway.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Are there any products in particular with the glycolic acid that worked for you?

since I don't know which part is working well i'll tell you everything I use regularly

neutrogena healthy skin cleanser it has salicylic acid in it but also has alpha hydroxy

. then DDF (from sephora but you can find it online) glycolic tonic 10%

I do both of those at morning and night.

and sephora super smart moisturizer with spf during the day.

i break out without a moisturizer so that's important for me.

My regimen is:

-Clean & Clear foaming facial cleanser sensitive skin, used on a Buf-Puf facial sponge to lightly exfoliate - a.m. and p.m.

-Epi-clear spray (0.5% salycylic acid) - a.m. and p.m.

-Aveeno Naturals Ultra-calming daily moisturizer - a.m. only

-Bare Minerals makeup (all crushed minerals/powders) - a.m.

I am going to try cutting out the Epi-clear and see if the results last - but I had been using epi-clear for a few months before starting the b5 and wasn't seeing a big difference.

Diane-35 is apparently a miracle drug. It is a birth control pill which is not available in the USA. You will hear that this is for safety reasons (somewhat increased propensity for forming blood clots) but in fact it is because in the US, the only birth control pill allowed to make a statement about acne is Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and they have a multi-million dollar lobby in Washington to prevent any other drug in that category from entering the market.

I don't know personally how it works, and you'll hate me for saying I've never had a zit in my life. It's a genetic thing - my father has never, ever had one in his 55 years. But I do know a couple of girls who took Diane-35 for this and apparently it changed their life, took about 3-6 months.

anitram said:
Diane-35 is apparently a miracle drug. It is a birth control pill which is not available in the USA. You will hear that this is for safety reasons (somewhat increased propensity for forming blood clots) but in fact it is because in the US, the only birth control pill allowed to make a statement about acne is Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and they have a multi-million dollar lobby in Washington to prevent any other drug in that category from entering the market.
i can vouch for this. my skin never looked better than when i was was taking diane-35.

if i recall correctly, the packaging didn't mention anything about it being an oral contraceptive. all i remember was that it said 'acne treatment'.

story time:

So, I found out a few days ago that I have a really bad case of keratosis pilaris. It's really common, something like 50% of all people in the world have it... if you get lots of little bumps on the backs of your arms, that's probably what that is. What it means is that the skin around your hair follicles is too sticky and plugs up your follicle, hence the bumps. My problem is that mine traps the hair in there and I get a bazillion ingrown hairs... I've had it all my life and all my life my arms (and legs and various other parts of my body) look like a minefield, but I never had insurance that would cover a trip to the dermatologist until now.

I'm getting to the point soon, I promise.

Apparently I also have this crap on my face. What that means is that since dry skin makes it worse, I was just making my face problems worse by using acne products, since most of those are designed to dry your skin out. The moral of this story is, if the regular acne products aren't working for you or making it worse, you might want to go the other way. Salicylic acid does help, but only if it doesn't dry your skin out. Face powder always makes it worse, even the kind for dry skin. Also, you probably don't have this stuff on your face (usu. cheeks) if it's not on your arms too.

Since we're sharing regimens...
kristie's previous poor college student regimen:
morning:
noxema cream cleanser... you know, the cheap stuff
neutrogena pore refining toner (mostly alcohol, but somehow non-drying)
clean&clear dual-action moisturizer (has salicylic acid, but moisturizes pretty well too... sometimes needed a little extra on my nose in the winter)

evening:
some damn brand's (...neutrogena? maybe? it was blue) blackhead clearing scrub (salicylic acid again)
neutrogena pore refining toner again
neutrogena bump minimizing lotion (I used it for body lotion too. Totally recommend it if you have kp and can't afford the dermatologist)

That worked pretty well.. but the dermatologist gave me a scrip for lactic acid cream that I'm supposed to use twice a day, so I cut out all the stuff with salicylic acid because I thought it might be a little too much acid.

Sorry about the essay, but I've been wrestling with blemishes on my face now for about 10 years, and I just want to share in case anyone else might have the same problem.

I used Accutane and it was the miracle drug(pun intended) that it claims to be. I know about 7 others who used the drug and the success ratio was 5-2. It's expensive $750 total over 3 months. It's got some severe side effects so read the info carefully - your not supposed to stay in direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes at a time etc....

My older brother had acne, so I got the accutane while I was still in my teens.

The strangest Acne medication I've ever heard of.....washing your face with your own urine. Most people, myself included, cannot fathom such a thing. Apparently it does wonders for some unknown reason.

Accutane worked wonders for my younger brother. He went breakout-free for years after he went off it. I considered it for myself, but the pictures of possible resulting birth defects scared me off...not that that was something I really had to worry about over the last few years, but it just didn't seem like a great idea after that.

I break out a lot in the winter, when I'm not in the sun as much, but I have a daily Clinique regimen that keeps it under better control than the past...foaming cleanser at night and the extra-strength soap, and their trademark soap/liquid lotion/moisturizer thing in the morning. My biggest problems remain around my hairline and under my jaw, but I think that's because I'm prone to leaning on my hands or playing with my hair.

I take Minocycline and it helps. I have tried Proactive and it helps a bit, but I was not one of the "miracle cures" they have on the infomercial.

For makeup I have switched to Bare Minerals. I think it has helped my complexion. I am not used to spending alot of money on makeup so the price of this has shocked me a bit, but since it has helped..............:shrug: I used to use Almay.

Kristie said:
That worked pretty well.. but the dermatologist gave me a scrip for lactic acid cream that I'm supposed to use twice a day, so I cut out all the stuff with salicylic acid because I thought it might be a little too much acid.

Sorry about the essay, but I've been wrestling with blemishes on my face now for about 10 years, and I just want to share in case anyone else might have the same problem.

I have KP too (it's mainly just on my arms, but it's fairly severe) and I tried the lactic acid lotion once and it didn't really do anything. It's really greasy and will leave your skin feeling that way even if it is very dry to begin with, i think this is because it's actually meant for a different, much worse skin condition. It also smells kind of funny. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough.
What I recommend is exfoliating like crazy (maybe not on your face because the skin is not as tough) with one of those back brushes in the shower and putting on regular lotion everyday. It hasn't made the redness go away, but my skin is much smoother. Getting more sun exposure also helps a lot of people. Mine improves during the summer as a result, but I also get spots of hyperpigmentation from where i've picked at my skin. It's a genetic condition and there really isn't anything you can do to make it go away completely.

Yay for Proactive! Dr Katie Rodan was my dermatologist when I lived in Northern California. I liked her a lot and I am really pleased for her success with this popular product.

I don't have bad skin, but I get these skin tags (genetic) and Dr Rodan would burn them off....not fun.

Anyway I use a simple routine for my face-usually Neutrogena or Oil of Olay cleanser and I moisturize with Oil of Olay. It's real important to drink plenty of water for good skin (I unfortunately am not a water drinker) and a good sunscreen product for when in UV, and keep your hands away from your face. I also use a loofah in the shower.

ILuvLarryMullen said:

I have KP too (it's mainly just on my arms, but it's fairly severe) and I tried the lactic acid lotion once and it didn't really do anything. It's really greasy and will leave your skin feeling that way even if it is very dry to begin with, i think this is because it's actually meant for a different, much worse skin condition. It also smells kind of funny. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough.
What I recommend is exfoliating like crazy (maybe not on your face because the skin is not as tough) with one of those back brushes in the shower and putting on regular lotion everyday. It hasn't made the redness go away, but my skin is much smoother. Getting more sun exposure also helps a lot of people. Mine improves during the summer as a result, but I also get spots of hyperpigmentation from where i've picked at my skin. It's a genetic condition and there really isn't anything you can do to make it go away completely.

yeah, I went loofah shopping yesterday :)
the lotion they gave me actually is having the opposite effect... it's a little sticky for about 15 minutes, and then I find I have to put more regular lotion on about an hour later because it's not moisturizing enough.
It does smell a little weird, though :huh:

Can you tell me more about this vitamin? Can I just go to Meijer and pick up a bottle? I looked for "B5" and found a ton of Bs but no number 5 :huh:

I've tried Pro Active and It didn't do a thing for me, and I was very good with using the product exactly as outlined. I hate the occasional breakout, maybe I will try this vitamin B5, bonosloveslave are you really taking 20 pills a day? And do you feel fatigue or do you get headaches?

My whole family has terrible skin. My brother's acne was so bad he spent his teen years in tears. I am lucky in that my acne was never horrendous, but for some reason it's worse now in adulthood than it was as a teenager. It sticks mostly to my chin and above my upper lip (a new development that supposedly is common in women in their 30s - great :| ) and birth control has been utterly useless in controlling it.

I have been using Cetaphyl cleanser (which is very gentle) twice a day when my skin is bad, and I find that I never get dry skin and almost never use a moisturizer at all!

My new discovery this year is that triple antibiotic cream (CVS or any other kind is probably fine) makes the pimples go away almost immediately. The problem is I am always using the stuff, but it has done a great job in controlling the emerging breakouts, especially those horrible under the skin cysty things.

I have never used liquid makeup, I use Mac Studiofix which is one of those powder finish things that you just wipe on with a sponge, and dust on with a brush. You don't need very much of it and it hides things amazingly well especially if paired with a concealing stick.

Acne really really sucks. :(

Last edited:
My skin's not too bad now. Proactive has done a good job. Use it at least twice a day, and sometimes 3 times on the weekends when I'm just laying around.

Other tips:

--Keep hands off of your face.
--Wash your bed sheets, and at very min pillow sheets.
--Check your laundry detergent. Tide was way too harsh on my skin. I know use Oxydol, and my breakouts have been fewer.
--I have to stay away from chocolate. Must be a allergy, but anytime I eat a lot of it...BAM!
--Don't overdue washing your face.

Can you tell me more about this vitamin? Can I just go to Meijer and pick up a bottle? I looked for "B5" and found a ton of Bs but no number 5 :huh:

ILLM was right, you're more likely to find it under Pantothenic Acid - I couldn't find it at the regular drug stores so I ended up going to a health food store. I found the best deal at www.swansonvitamins.com - they have a bottle of the 500mg capsules, total of 250 per bottle for $9. BTW - I would look on the bottle for it to say capsules, the pill form is big and hard to swallow.

Macphisto23, I took 20 capsules a day for 2 months - took 5 capsules evenly spaced through the day (like 8am, 1pm, 6pm, 11pm). I also take a multi-vitamin, you need to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of the other b vitamins. I followed the guidelines here:
http://www.vilantae.com/instructions_for_vilantae.htm

I cut back to 16 capsules per day 3 weeks ago (4 capsules 4 times daily), and this week I will go down to 12 capsules (3 capsules 4 times daily). Supposedly it works better when you spread the dosing out, rather than taking more pills less times per day. I've looked at some acne message boards, and it seems like the pitfalls are people giving up if their skin worsens in the first few weeks, or stopping once their skin clears. It does look like to have the best benefit you need to stay on it, so you can't get lazy. But many people can go down on the dose, perhaps to as low as 4 capsules per day - you just need to go slow in tapering down to figure out your maintenace dose.

**Disclaimer**
I am an animal doctor, not a people doctor so please proceed at your own risk, do your own research. Your results may be different from mine...

Birth control didn't help like they said it would. I use OTC face washes 2-3 times a day, anything with little or no salicylic acid b/c that makes my skin turn dry, cracked, and red.

Exact same thing happens here. I find it so weird that I can have pimples still, but wash my face once in the morning and it's dry..peeling for the rest of the day.

Originally posted by KristieSo, I found out a few days ago that I have a really bad case of keratosis pilaris. It's really common, something like 50% of all people in the world have it... if you get lots of little bumps on the backs of your arms, that's probably what that is. What it means is that the skin around your hair follicles is too sticky and plugs up your follicle, hence the bumps.

Yup, same here. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Like ILuvLarryMullen said, it does get better with sun exposure though, although my arms have hyperpigmented spots from picking.....

Essentially, I use Dove soap in the morning, then Cetaphil moisturiser before makeup (Clinique, only because I can't find the mineral based makeups that would be good for my skin). At night, I use dove again, then I clean any pimples with rubbing alcohol (i know, i know, it's so bad, but it dries them out so fast), then I use antibiotic cream (Benzomicyn) for whatever acne I DO have. It also works on my arms too, although it's expensive, and I have to lather sooo much on (on my legs as well). It's sticky too.

My main problem I'm now finding is blackheads. I have rather large pores that just keep getting filled. It's horrible. Anyone know of any solutions???

Triple antibiotic ointment is to me what windex is to that guy in my big fat greek wedding :happy: Anything unusual happens to my skin, I put that stuff on it. Especially chapped or cracked lips - heals them up in a flash and is all shiny like a lip gloss. Doesn't taste too great, though.

I read a fashion mag once that said the best thing for blackheads are those pore strips, like the kind you stick on your nose. I gave it a try and it did seem to help, at least a little... :shrug:
That neutrogena pore refining toner stuff I use seems to help too, as well as staying away from the makeup - or at least liquid foundation - as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom