Acne miracle cures - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:46 AM
I used Accutane and it was the miracle drug(pun intended) that it claims to be. I know about 7 others who used the drug and the success ratio was 5-2. It's expensive $750 total over 3 months. It's got some severe side effects so read the info carefully - your not supposed to stay in direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes at a time etc....

My older brother had acne, so I got the accutane while I was still in my teens.

The strangest Acne medication I've ever heard of.....washing your face with your own urine. Most people, myself included, cannot fathom such a thing. Apparently it does wonders for some unknown reason.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Accutane worked wonders for my younger brother. He went breakout-free for years after he went off it. I considered it for myself, but the pictures of possible resulting birth defects scared me off...not that that was something I really had to worry about over the last few years, but it just didn't seem like a great idea after that.

I break out a lot in the winter, when I'm not in the sun as much, but I have a daily Clinique regimen that keeps it under better control than the past...foaming cleanser at night and the extra-strength soap, and their trademark soap/liquid lotion/moisturizer thing in the morning. My biggest problems remain around my hairline and under my jaw, but I think that's because I'm prone to leaning on my hands or playing with my hair.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
I take Minocycline and it helps. I have tried Proactive and it helps a bit, but I was not one of the "miracle cures" they have on the infomercial.

For makeup I have switched to Bare Minerals. I think it has helped my complexion. I am not used to spending alot of money on makeup so the price of this has shocked me a bit, but since it has helped.............. I used to use Almay.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie
That worked pretty well.. but the dermatologist gave me a scrip for lactic acid cream that I'm supposed to use twice a day, so I cut out all the stuff with salicylic acid because I thought it might be a little too much acid.

Sorry about the essay, but I've been wrestling with blemishes on my face now for about 10 years, and I just want to share in case anyone else might have the same problem.

I have KP too (it's mainly just on my arms, but it's fairly severe) and I tried the lactic acid lotion once and it didn't really do anything. It's really greasy and will leave your skin feeling that way even if it is very dry to begin with, i think this is because it's actually meant for a different, much worse skin condition. It also smells kind of funny. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough.
What I recommend is exfoliating like crazy (maybe not on your face because the skin is not as tough) with one of those back brushes in the shower and putting on regular lotion everyday. It hasn't made the redness go away, but my skin is much smoother. Getting more sun exposure also helps a lot of people. Mine improves during the summer as a result, but I also get spots of hyperpigmentation from where i've picked at my skin. It's a genetic condition and there really isn't anything you can do to make it go away completely.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:53 AM   #20
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Yay for Proactive! Dr Katie Rodan was my dermatologist when I lived in Northern California. I liked her a lot and I am really pleased for her success with this popular product.

I don't have bad skin, but I get these skin tags (genetic) and Dr Rodan would burn them off....not fun.

Anyway I use a simple routine for my face-usually Neutrogena or Oil of Olay cleanser and I moisturize with Oil of Olay. It's real important to drink plenty of water for good skin (I unfortunately am not a water drinker) and a good sunscreen product for when in UV, and keep your hands away from your face. I also use a loofah in the shower.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen

I have KP too (it's mainly just on my arms, but it's fairly severe) and I tried the lactic acid lotion once and it didn't really do anything. It's really greasy and will leave your skin feeling that way even if it is very dry to begin with, i think this is because it's actually meant for a different, much worse skin condition. It also smells kind of funny. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough.
What I recommend is exfoliating like crazy (maybe not on your face because the skin is not as tough) with one of those back brushes in the shower and putting on regular lotion everyday. It hasn't made the redness go away, but my skin is much smoother. Getting more sun exposure also helps a lot of people. Mine improves during the summer as a result, but I also get spots of hyperpigmentation from where i've picked at my skin. It's a genetic condition and there really isn't anything you can do to make it go away completely.
yeah, I went loofah shopping yesterday
the lotion they gave me actually is having the opposite effect... it's a little sticky for about 15 minutes, and then I find I have to put more regular lotion on about an hour later because it's not moisturizing enough.
It does smell a little weird, though
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #22
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
keep your hands away from your face.
I have SUCH a hard time with this for some reason - but it hasn't caused any problems since I started my vitamin
Old 02-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Can you tell me more about this vitamin? Can I just go to Meijer and pick up a bottle? I looked for "B5" and found a ton of Bs but no number 5
Old 02-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^it may have the label pantothenic acid instead
Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #25
Refugee

I've tried Pro Active and It didn't do a thing for me, and I was very good with using the product exactly as outlined. I hate the occasional breakout, maybe I will try this vitamin B5, bonosloveslave are you really taking 20 pills a day? And do you feel fatigue or do you get headaches?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #26
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 07:46 AM
My whole family has terrible skin. My brother's acne was so bad he spent his teen years in tears. I am lucky in that my acne was never horrendous, but for some reason it's worse now in adulthood than it was as a teenager. It sticks mostly to my chin and above my upper lip (a new development that supposedly is common in women in their 30s - great ) and birth control has been utterly useless in controlling it.

I have been using Cetaphyl cleanser (which is very gentle) twice a day when my skin is bad, and I find that I never get dry skin and almost never use a moisturizer at all!

My new discovery this year is that triple antibiotic cream (CVS or any other kind is probably fine) makes the pimples go away almost immediately. The problem is I am always using the stuff, but it has done a great job in controlling the emerging breakouts, especially those horrible under the skin cysty things.

I have never used liquid makeup, I use Mac Studiofix which is one of those powder finish things that you just wipe on with a sponge, and dust on with a brush. You don't need very much of it and it hides things amazingly well especially if paired with a concealing stick.

Acne really really sucks.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My skin's not too bad now. Proactive has done a good job. Use it at least twice a day, and sometimes 3 times on the weekends when I'm just laying around.

Other tips:

--Keep hands off of your face.
--Wash your bed sheets, and at very min pillow sheets.
--Check your laundry detergent. Tide was way too harsh on my skin. I know use Oxydol, and my breakouts have been fewer.
--I have to stay away from chocolate. Must be a allergy, but anytime I eat a lot of it...BAM!
--Don't overdue washing your face.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #28
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Can you tell me more about this vitamin? Can I just go to Meijer and pick up a bottle? I looked for "B5" and found a ton of Bs but no number 5
ILLM was right, you're more likely to find it under Pantothenic Acid - I couldn't find it at the regular drug stores so I ended up going to a health food store. I found the best deal at www.swansonvitamins.com - they have a bottle of the 500mg capsules, total of 250 per bottle for $9. BTW - I would look on the bottle for it to say capsules, the pill form is big and hard to swallow.

Macphisto23, I took 20 capsules a day for 2 months - took 5 capsules evenly spaced through the day (like 8am, 1pm, 6pm, 11pm). I also take a multi-vitamin, you need to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of the other b vitamins. I followed the guidelines here:
http://www.vilantae.com/instructions_for_vilantae.htm

I cut back to 16 capsules per day 3 weeks ago (4 capsules 4 times daily), and this week I will go down to 12 capsules (3 capsules 4 times daily). Supposedly it works better when you spread the dosing out, rather than taking more pills less times per day. I've looked at some acne message boards, and it seems like the pitfalls are people giving up if their skin worsens in the first few weeks, or stopping once their skin clears. It does look like to have the best benefit you need to stay on it, so you can't get lazy. But many people can go down on the dose, perhaps to as low as 4 capsules per day - you just need to go slow in tapering down to figure out your maintenace dose.

**Disclaimer**
I am an animal doctor, not a people doctor so please proceed at your own risk, do your own research. Your results may be different from mine...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #29
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Birth control didn't help like they said it would. I use OTC face washes 2-3 times a day, anything with little or no salicylic acid b/c that makes my skin turn dry, cracked, and red.
Exact same thing happens here. I find it so weird that I can have pimples still, but wash my face once in the morning and it's dry..peeling for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally posted by KristieSo, I found out a few days ago that I have a really bad case of keratosis pilaris. It's really common, something like 50% of all people in the world have it... if you get lots of little bumps on the backs of your arms, that's probably what that is. What it means is that the skin around your hair follicles is too sticky and plugs up your follicle, hence the bumps.
Yup, same here. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Like ILuvLarryMullen said, it does get better with sun exposure though, although my arms have hyperpigmented spots from picking.....

Essentially, I use Dove soap in the morning, then Cetaphil moisturiser before makeup (Clinique, only because I can't find the mineral based makeups that would be good for my skin). At night, I use dove again, then I clean any pimples with rubbing alcohol (i know, i know, it's so bad, but it dries them out so fast), then I use antibiotic cream (Benzomicyn) for whatever acne I DO have. It also works on my arms too, although it's expensive, and I have to lather sooo much on (on my legs as well). It's sticky too.

My main problem I'm now finding is blackheads. I have rather large pores that just keep getting filled. It's horrible. Anyone know of any solutions???
Old 02-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Triple antibiotic ointment is to me what windex is to that guy in my big fat greek wedding Anything unusual happens to my skin, I put that stuff on it. Especially chapped or cracked lips - heals them up in a flash and is all shiny like a lip gloss. Doesn't taste too great, though.

I read a fashion mag once that said the best thing for blackheads are those pore strips, like the kind you stick on your nose. I gave it a try and it did seem to help, at least a little...
That neutrogena pore refining toner stuff I use seems to help too, as well as staying away from the makeup - or at least liquid foundation - as much as possible.