Accents that drive you up the wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowbunny00774

ONE love, blood, life
Most Irish people that have become famous and are trying to play it cool. Esp. if they are still trying to play the "I grew up poor in Ireland" card but somehow I now sound like English aristocracy.

Who is this guy anyway?

ETA: Jonathan Rhys-Meyers :tsk:

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
I hate hearing Long Island accents on TV. I hear them in real life all day and I really don't notice, but on TV, drives me up a wall.

:yes:

it's very rare that i hear a person who actually has the thick new york accent that you see on tv... and when i do hear such a person, the words "staten" and "island" usually can't be too far behind.

Around here, some still use their Dutch accents like some kind of status symbol even though they can speak perfectly without it. There's a long history to it (the entire community split in two over the Dutch language here)....but it annoys me to an extent.

Least-fave accents:

New York (sounds so thick and plodding)
South African (it's so unusual to me that I can't follow it)
Midwestern (don't like the way they say "car", etc.)

Most-fave:

Southern (women w/ this accent make me weak)
SoCal/Valley Girl (funny and cute when girls use it, annoying on guys)
Proper British
Cockney
Irish

No opinion:
Boston
Australian

New York accents drive me crazy :crazy: My friends mom has a little one because she's from there, but its not annoying. But this one man who came to give a speech at our school had THE BIGGEST NY ACCENT EVER!!! He gave a great speech, but the accent drove me off the wall.

Australian accents are a little annoying at times too, maybe because my best friend moved there and now she has a little accent. It bugs me because it sounds nothing like her! :shrug:

Essex accents, but only on certain people (mostly women). I don't like how people with Norfolk accents say "foo" for "few" and "hooge" for "huge" (though "bootiful" and "toon" don't bother me :shrug: ) or how Americans (with any accent) say words like "cheers" (the "r" is too harsh with an American accent, which is why I consciously avoid saying it in shops).

The only people that hate Philly accents are people who live in Philly that intentionally don't speak with the accent.

I am proud to mispronounce water. :rockon:

BonosLil'Pal94 said:

:hug: I havent heard you talk before, so dont get ahead of yourself! :giggle:

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
New York accents drive me crazy :crazy: My friends mom has a little one because she's from there, but its not annoying. But this one man who came to give a speech at our school had THE BIGGEST NY ACCENT EVER!!! He gave a great speech, but the accent drove me off the wall.

:mad:

LyricalDrug said:
Least-fave accents:

South African (it's so unusual to me that I can't follow it)

What's so unusual about a South African accent? Unless you're talking to Afrikaaners from the Free State or something (I shudder at the thought), or someone who's Zulu/Xhosa, I don't see how the South African accent could be considered unusual at all. We don't pronounce things all that differently from the Brits. The general sound of it is diffierent, but not so different that it could be considered unusual. I mean sure, Afrikaans words sometimes cross over into English (e.g. "ja" and "jislaaik") But other than that...

As for my vote, Afrikaaners have the worst accents on earth. But jislaaik, are they funny. See Leon Schuster for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQJymNb3_dM

He got a lekker klap at the end...

Last edited:
perhaps we should post accents we like?

Living in California, I don't have an accent.

I just sound normal.

Funny thing is,
when i travel people think I have an accent.:huh:

Everyone hates the way I talk.

Ev'rywhere you want I always go
I always give in because, baby, you know
You just say so 'cause you give me that
feeling inside that I know must be right
It's the singer not the song

It's not the way you give in willingly
Others do it without thrilling me
Giving me that same old feeling inside that I
know I must be right
It's the singer not the song

I'm originally from the midwest, and some people out west say they can hear the flat, midwestern accent in my voice. Other people claim they can't hear any accent at all. :shrug:

I wouldn't say it drives me up the wall, but the accents shown in the movie Fargo make me giggle. I have several relatives from northern Wisconsin that talk a little like that.

And there's this great local Wisconsin radio ad for home loans that makes me laugh really hard just to hear the announcer pronounce "home loans" with that flat accent. I wish I knew how to describe it - it's easier just to imitate it. :wink:

meegannie said:
Essex accents, but only on certain people (mostly women). I don't like how people with Norfolk accents say "foo" for "few" and "hooge" for "huge" (though "bootiful" and "toon" don't bother me :shrug: ) or how Americans (with any accent) say words like "cheers" (the "r" is too harsh with an American accent, which is why I consciously avoid saying it in shops).

Two girls I study with have been a year to the US and it seems like all they learned was the "r".

The one girl is especially annoying because she asks thousands of questions and ends everyone with "rrright?"

I hate the accents I don't understand :wink:

U2Girl416 said:
my grandma was from Massachusetts. for the longest time, she would add an r to the end of me and my sisters' names, so it almost sounded like she took off the last letter and replaced it with an r instead. :lol:

Dian...r

:reject: I'm from Rhode Island and I put R's where they don't belong all the time, borrowing from where they do belong. When I started working at a bank in Indiana, I was constantly mocked for pronouncing the word "withdrawal" "withdrarral."

Oddly enough, a hard Rhoe Dilan accent bugs me more than anything. New York is up there, and the New Englander in me can harldy stand a Southern drawl.

Back
Top Bottom