Accents that drive you up the wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fly so high! said:

Is there really a difference in Aussie accents between the states

A little, I think.

I've picked people from Perth before just by their accent. There's a kinda sharpness to it. That and every sentence finished with 'hey'. And loads of unique vocabulary. If you don't understand half the slang, they're from Perth.

Queensland is easy: Sllloooow speaking, and the accent locks right in with the worst Aussie accent stereotype, ie bogan.

Sydney, apparently we talk fast and it's noticeable (???)

Adelaide pronounce France/Dance/Chance etc, as in, Fr-ar-nce, ie the true English way rather than American way.

Don't know about VIC.

intedomine said:

One of life's great mysteries....How can one get "Fush" out of "Fish"

Ok so all joking aside, I learnt in my linguistics class (Damn I need a diagram) that NZ 'i' sounds are very close to the 'e' and 'u'. As in they are all made in similar places in the mouth.

Apparently the NZ 'i' shifted from the English accent, and the Australian 'i' is a vowel shift to a different part of the mouth.

Does that make sense?

(I had huge problems telling a German that we needed to pull out the pegs , from the pigs pen.) It took a long time before he could tell I was using a different word.

I remember the movie Fargo being recommended purely because of the crazy Minnesota accent! (great movie too.)

I'm going to Minnesota this year, I can only hope I will get to hear a Marge Minnesota accent

Earnie Shavers said:

A little, I think.

I've picked people from Perth before just by their accent. There's a kinda sharpness to it. That and every sentence finished with 'hey'. And loads of unique vocabulary. If you don't understand half the slang, they're from Perth.

Queensland is easy: Sllloooow speaking, and the accent locks right in with the worst Aussie accent stereotype, ie bogan.

Adelaide pronounce France/Dance/Chance etc, as in, Fr-ar-nce, ie the true English way rather than American way.

Don't know about VIC.

Your right there was something on channel 7 about this a long time ago on Sunrise or today tonight, and there is a differece between each state

I dont see how Sydney people talk any faster then anyone else :eyebrow:

And now i know why my friends think im from Queensland

I haven't heard feesh or deesh here - but I have heard psuedo-southern accents

MsPurrl said:
Indiana:

feesh (fish)
deesh (dish)
crick (creek)

The first two are the actual plurals of the words in paranthesis, right? :uhoh:

As for the CRICK thing...that is a nationwide problem. :crack:

There are TWO friggin E's in the word (EE) - since when is that pronounced "I"? :angry:

the Newyorican accent, STUPE!

If I ever meet Rosie Perez, I might have to tazer her in the throat.

Re: I haven't heard feesh or deesh here - but I have heard psuedo-southern accents

zoney! said:

There are TWO friggin E's in the word (EE) - since when is that pronounced "I"? :angry:

It's actually an international problem. Some Canadians are likewise afflicted :angry:

Hey maybe it's a North American thing, don't bring the rest of us into it!

We say creek.

It annoys me how Americans say aluminium as a-lume-a-num.
Alu-min-ium. It's not that hard.

Also how they say secont for second. It's a D!!

Re: I haven't heard feesh or deesh here - but I have heard psuedo-southern accents

zoney! said:

The first two are the actual plurals of the words in paranthesis, right? :uhoh:

They're two words. The spelling (and pronunciation) "crick" is a variant of "creek."

:nerd:

Re: Re: I haven't heard feesh or deesh here - but I have heard psuedo-southern accents

meegannie said:

They're two words. The spelling (and pronunciation) "crick" is a variant of "creek."

True, however, as they are two words, shouldn't XXX Creek be pronounced XXX Creek, when the majority of people and all maps/signage refer to it as XXX Creek?

I'm really self-conscious about my accent. I feel like I have a really rhotic (R!R!R!), flat-"i"ed southern American accent, but people can never place my accent. I get mistaken for an English person who's lived in America, an English person watches too much American TV (that was my favourite :lol: ), or (less often now, which I guess is a sign that my accent has changed even more) a Canadian. It also changes depending on who I'm talking to, so I worry that people think I'm mocking them. When I go back to the US, I think everyone who doesn't think I'm foreign thinks I'm putting it on when I'm not. All the talk about Madonna's accent makes me paranoid because I don't think she sounds particularly English.

When I moved from the South Island of NZ to the North Island, people thought I had an Australian accent.

Now when I go down home, they just think I sound up myself.

meegannie said:

I have never seen "crick" on a map or on a sign that labeled a waterway a such...yet I still hear individuals refer to something CLEARLY named creek, crick.

Obviously our education system has failed these individuals. :)

I am annoyed by any accent that puts an AH where there should be an R and an R where there should be an A. You know who you are. :mad:

Perhaps it's overexposure from 35 hours a week for 7 years with my officemate who has this accent and because my name, Martha, has both an R and an A. Thus, she pronounces my name "Mahther." I really, really hate it for some reason.

Zoobaby14 said:

I dont see how Sydney people talk any faster then anyone else :eyebrow:

Well, you're from Sydney. There's no science in me saying that, I've just had it pointed out on a few different occasions by a few different people from other states, so I thought there must be something in it.

Washington---- WARSHINGTON

Supposedly---- "Supposively" (when they spell it the right damn way, but still say "supposively"

Else--------- "elst"

Often------ Of-ten

Italian--------- "Eye-talion"

Wrong, people. Well maybe it's not wrong, because a lot of people say things their own way. But look up 'often' in the dictionary...and it does not pronounce the T. And you do not pronounce Italy with an "I", like "Eye-talion" for Italian. Where do you go to find an "Eye-talion", "Eye-taly?"

And my boss has a strange accent, I don't know where she gets it from. She pronounces "For" as "Far". Baffling.

As for an accent that really drives me up the wall. The Indian accent...from India. Why they have to pitch their voices like that really really baffles me. You know what I'm talking about.

And I can only take the Australian accent to a degree.

But I just "lohve" the Irish accent 110%. Gets me every time.

Back
Top Bottom