Accents that drive you up the wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono_man said:
Come on...

Nothing even comes close to the New Zealand accent. Its fucking awful!!

Sorry...but they know it too. Thats why they all move to Australia!

Mentions too to South African and southern United States.

At least South Africans can say "years" properly. :wink: I had an Aussie maths teacher several years ago who would talk about bonds maturing over YEEES and YEEES. Drove me up the bloody wall.

yolland said:
Some accents I find more enticing than others, but I don't know that I've ever heard one that "drives me up the wall". I think it's fascinating how speech patterns vary from one place to another and find it sad how many of those variations are disappearing; they give a place character.

:up:

No 'accent' thread would be complete without a Newfoundland mention! If Interference existed 10 years ago, I would’ve definitely placed it in the “drive me up the wall” category. The irony here is that I am a Newfoundlander, born and raised! I went through a horrible phase years ago where I viewed our accent as a kind of weakness...mired in the stereotype of how unsophisticated we supposedly are. After listening to all the ‘Newfie’ jokes growing up, I felt like I'd been drafted by the worst team in the league, and I wanted a trade! No more Yes b'y! or Wadda ya gett'in on witt? for me.

Well, that trade never happened...I’m still on the team, and I’ve come to appreciate our accent as something that’s just as dynamic as the people living here. Whether it’s part French, English, or Irish, the cadence and rhythm of our accents are frozen in time...like living history. Aside from the fact that some of us do speak dreadfully fast, the truly sad thing is how many local dialects are disappearing completely. Out-migration is a big reason why...people are leaving for work in other parts of the country. I'm one of the fortunate ones with a good job.

When I was home for Easter, I had a three-hour conversation with my grandfather about people and places from his past. Somewhere around the middle of it, it donned on me: I should be recording this. He, along with his accent, will be missed soon enough.

cinnaminson said:
My accent drives me mad. According to others I sound quite a lot like Steve Irwin, without the adam's apple! When I hear myself I think, "Ohw moy gawd, do I really sownd loike thayt?." Yes, I do.:ohmy:

:lol:

At least you're blessed with accent self-awareness :wink: My sister swears mine has changed since I relocated to the other side of the province. When she said this, I totally denied it, and said I had to go to da store to get some meelk. It was much funnier on the phone.

TheQuiet1 said:
What about Catherine Zeta-Jones' accent? That thing she does where she goes from really thick Welsh to pure LA :yikes:

There's nothing worse than a put-on accent. Madonna definitely does that, as well, and it bugs the shit out of me! It takes away from any talent and originality she has.

BluRmGrl said:

kellibrooks_after_lg.jpg

A perfect example? 'Kelli' from the current Nutri-System commercials - 'Myy huzben? He sez I'm hawt.' It makes me want to punch her in the face & then be physically ill. :barf:
:lmao:

I was born and raised in Georgia and have some accent I guess, but if I see that commercial again I might pull all my hair out :mad:

LJT said:
Anyway any 'culchie' accent as in people from the country here tends to annoy me a tad, sorry to say this probably includes my cousins in Cushendall......oh and Ballymena, ughh...the West Belfast accent is alright in moderation, extreme examples though will make me strike out violently at the nearest cuddly rabbit:wink:

I dunno, I was always fascinated by the culchie accent - especially my cousins. My aunt always pronounces words like 'three' as 'tree'. I thought it was fabulous when I was growing up!

And it's not Ballymena, it's Ballymena-hey!:shame:

:wink:

But the thick 'West Belfast' accent really gets on my nerves. I have (IMO) a relatively mild Belfast accent and I hate hearing it on tape. It sucks because I thought I didn't have an accent, it just sounded 'plain' to me. But when I hear someone saying, "An' here bes me," in that thick drawl, unless it's one of my friends, I want to strangle them.
Californian accents I can't really stand either, but I've only heard it on tv. It may be more bearable in real life.

Generally I just don't like accents that are so thick you can't understand what the person is saying. Other than that, I find them fascinating!:nerd:

I like all of the different accents. Gotta represent your region, right? I've taken several voice diction classes to remove my Long Island accent, so if I concentrate I can speak with a non-regional accent. But, most of the time I don't really give a shit.

bono_man said:
Come on...

Sorry...but they know it too. Thats why they all move to Australia!

:lmao: i was waiting for someone to say that

I hate the way Americans talk...well on T.V shows anyway :reject:

bono_man said:
Come on...

Agreed.

It is most excruciating to hear a Kiwi speak. Not only does it sound awful, but it puzzles me no end as to how their accent turned out that way.

2nd worst accent is that of the Queenslanders. Just makes them sound even dumber than they already are. :wink:

Also find the accent of South East Asian Uni students really annoying. It's always really Americanised and when you combine that with that Singapore/Malaysian/Hong Kong fractured way of speaking, it doesn't sound very cool....

On the other hand...

I love all British accents. A real turn on to hear a Scottish, Manc, Liverpudlian, Brummie, Cockney, Welsh, Hampshire, Yorkshire lass speak....i find it so irresistable.

Irish can be quite alluring sometimes....

Never liked that kind of Californian (i think) accent for some reason.

Always found the Bostonian one to be amazing too. Defintely one of my faves.

That really strong New Yawk accent intrigues and excites me no end.

Southern Americans are fun to listen to, but the more common Canadian accent kinda bores me...

South African accents are fun to try and mimic...

And it is almost sexually stimulating to hear a French, German or Russian lady speak...

Thick Aussie accents drive me crazy :crazy:.

There's an ad here for heart burn meds, and the guys an Aussie. Instead of pronouncing "here" properly he says "Heeee" :huh: :lol:.

intedomine said:

2nd worst accent is that of the Queenslanders. Just makes them sound even dumber than they already are. :wink:

Is there really a difference in Aussie accents between the states???.....I don't believe there is. I have relatives in NSW,QLD,VIC and friends from WA and i don't hear a single difference (they all sound distinctly Australian!)........unless you are talking about "strine"(Straylean)....Any Australian has the ability to talk "strine".......we all have our good "phone" voice when we want...... don't we?

I'm the first to say I love talking "strine" especially with my hubbys family.....they are so funny....with the uniquely Austalian phrases and common sayings and ryming slang.......sometimes they can have entire conversation said in this way.

Couple of my fav's is:

"So hungry I could eat the arse out of a low flying duck." for those who are not aussie this means he/she is really,really hungry.

"I'm drier than an Arab's fart." - needs a a nice cool drink.

"The little mongrel left me a lawn pizza." - someone vomited in the garden

"Going off like a frog in a sock." - this can be used for all sorts of situations ie: dancing, having a tantrum, getting angry or just being generally excited about something.

"Head like a smacked arse!" - someone that has not been blessed with the Lord's good looks.

I have hundreds more!!! LOVE 'EM!!!

The thick Kiwi accent is as shocking as the thick Aussie accent. Both are bloody irritating to listen too, but generally not ALL the population on both sides of the Tasman are tainted with it! I'd rather listen to a 'soft' Kiwi accent any day over the Aussie one :wink:!!!
American accents etc don't bother me, think that we've grown up with enough American TV that I think nothing of any of the variations. English is fine too....Sth African is a little more forced to listen too, but we have numerous SA friends and I just don't notice it. Some of the Asians are a little hard to interpret - where letters are dropped and/or replaced in words....

P.S. And the only reason why the bad kiwi accented people move to Aussie is because you all sound as bad as each other!! :giggle: We keep the good ones here! My Scottish/Maori neighbour has the WORST accent....gotta buy him that one way ticket soon!!

I do love the quirky sayings though, from both countries, you can have a lot of fun with them!

Not a chance. You cant even compare the Kiwi accent with the Australian one.

As said earlier, how did it end up like that? Why do you pronounce 'fish', 'fush'? You know its an 'i'....

Very puzzling...

bono_man said:

As said earlier, how did it end up like that? Why do you pronounce 'fish', 'fush'? You know its an 'i'....

Very puzzling...

One of life's great mysteries....How can one get "Fush" out of "Fish"

Regarding a Queensland accent, I do hear something. It's not only a more exaggerated accent with crappier vocabularly, but what's with using the word "but" at the end of a sentence......but?

There is also something in the South Australian accent as well. Hard to pin down what it is, though they have been renowned to call things by different names from the rest of the country anyway. They call thongs something completely different I think.

bono_man said:

Very puzzling...

Wow, you must have had a bad run of meeting the few unfortunates who say fush instead of fish. I only know of 2 people who pronounce it that way - one being my neighbour!!!

Like I said, we sent all the bad ones to Oz!! :wink:

edited to add....what I really love is the 'sibling' rivalry between our two countries!!! :giggle:

Last edited:
gluey said:

edited to add....what I really love is the 'sibling' rivalry between our two countries!!! :giggle:

That comment suggest that there is some sort of "brotherhood" or "sisterhood" between us, and that is an idea I find rather nauseating.

We would never associate ourselves with such undesirables :wink:

I've never heard a New Zealander say "fish" properly....

intedomine said:

That comment suggest that there is some sort of "brotherhood" or "sisterhood" between us, and that is an idea I find rather nauseating.

We would never associate ourselves with such undesirables :wink:

I've never heard a New Zealander say "fish" properly....

Call me and I'll say it for you.....I'll be your first! :wink:

gluey said:

Call me and I'll say it for you.....I'll be your first! :wink:

But then I'd have to actually speak to a New Zealander! What if someone caught me! I'd be publically shamed!

Mind you, it could be worse. Speaking to a New Zealander is much more acceptable than speaking to.....a Sydneysider!:shocked:

intedomine said:

But then I'd have to actually speak to a New Zealander! What if someone caught me! I'd be publically shamed!

Mind you, it could be worse. Speaking to a New Zealander is much more acceptable than speaking to.....a Sydneysider!:shocked:

Shhhh, don't say that too loud!! Not the dreaded Sydneysider!!! :shifty:

intedomine said:

:mad: ohhhh youve done it now mate...u down there in Vic think your all that huh?

Well we will see about that wont we :wink:

Oh, I like the Kiwi accent but the Australian accent, no, no, unfortunately don't like it at all...
That and the Scottish one...:no:

The English and Irish accent however :drool:

I enjoy talking to people of different accents. I met some people from Kentucky once who had the thickest accents you could hear. They were embarassed by their own accents! I think they said something along the lines of, "You'd hate Kentawckay. We're just a buncha hicks drivin' tractors."

I've never heard anyone badmouth the Philly accent. I love having an identifying feature of my hometown. I never understand why anyone would try to change their own accent. It's something unique.

a lot of accents bug me. let's see:

- ALL southern accents
- new york/new jersey accents (esp. long island)
- german accents

the fish/fush thing earlier reminded me of a debate a friend and i were having with a friend of ours. she can talk really country sometimes, and one example of this is she pronounces pen like pin.

Back
Top Bottom