Accents that drive you up the wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm one of those true GRITS: Girls Raised In The South. :yes: Born and bred in southeastern North Carolina & I've spent most of my life living in this area but those super-twangy, thick-as-molasses drawls that run from here in NC down to Alabama just make my ears bleed.

kellibrooks_after_lg.jpg

A perfect example? 'Kelli' from the current Nutri-System commercials - 'Myy huzben? He sez I'm hawt.' It makes me want to punch her in the face & then be physically ill. :barf:

I mean, I know I've got a bit of an accent myself... although I have had people here ask me where I'm from! :confused: :D I just can't stand those really thick accents - and the fake ones that most actors try to pull off are even worse!! :mad:

GibsonGirl said:

What's so unusual about a South African accent? Unless you're talking to Afrikaaners from the Free State or something (I shudder at the thought), or someone who's Zulu/Xhosa, I don't see how the South African accent could be considered unusual at all. We don't pronounce things all that differently from the Brits. The general sound of it is diffierent, but not so different that it could be considered unusual. I mean sure, Afrikaans words sometimes cross over into English (e.g. "ja" and "jislaaik") But other than that...

D'oh! I was hoping there wouldn't be anyone from S.A. here, so I could get away with that one... :wink:

I just meant that the S.A. accent is so *foreign* to me because I hardly ever come across it, so I have difficulty following it. (Poor choice of words on my part, with "unusual")

Dismantled said:
thick southern accents

:yes:!!!!!!!

I umpired an Under 13s cricket game recently, and I swear the captain of one of the teams had a think southern accent. And he would not shut up! I saw him at the plaza yestey and I burst out in laughter.

I have to admit i was not to wrapped in the AMERICAN accent.....I thought it was, you know.....nasally........but my only experience with the accent is movies and TV and my aunt and uncle, and a friend of ours who lives can't remember where (not far from Disneyland!)

My aunt was born English and moved to the US when she was 18, she sounds american to me but her pals say she sounds weird!

My Uncle was born in Ireland, moved to Australia when he was 14 married my aunt in the US 10 years ago.....he sounds american/irish to me.....but to his friends he sounds REALLY weird!

Our good friend has not lost his aussie accent....... his wife's accent sounds too thick- like she may be hamming it up 'cause she is talking to us i don't know, maybe she really sounds like that!

One day i met the sweetest little girl from Oklahoma City at work she was visiting her Grandma that had a terrible stroke that left her half-blind and miriad of other problems.......anyhoo, the grandaughter was the same age as my daughter and to hear her little accent was SOOOO CUTE!!! I wanted her to keep talking......she was telling me about Oklahoma City Zoo. Her mum is aussie but her dad is also from Oklahoma and to hear them speak was not annoying at all, i could have listened to them all day!!

Come on...

Nothing even comes close to the New Zealand accent. Its fucking awful!!

Sorry...but they know it too. Thats why they all move to Australia!

Mentions too to South African and southern United States.

Some accents I find more enticing than others, but I don't know that I've ever heard one that "drives me up the wall". I think it's fascinating how speech patterns vary from one place to another and find it sad how many of those variations are disappearing; they give a place character.

Accents really only bother me when I hear two or more people having a conversation with the same accent.

I've been told I have a very midwestern, Minnesota to be exact, accent. I generally don't hear it at all, even when I travel outside of the midwest. I was in TN last week and was afraid to speak! I totally heard my "ooohh" coming out everytime I said something. :reject:

bono_man said:
Come on...

Nothing even comes close to the New Zealand accent. Its fucking awful!!

Sorry...but they know it too. Thats why they all move to Australia!

You only get the ones with the really bad NZ accents that even other NZers pick up. I can't stand it, they sound like they have a golf ball in their mouth. Then again, some Australians are guilty of that too. Maayyyyyyyyyyte.

For a favourite accent, you can't beat a good variation of the Australian accent on a girl.

I hate it when people talk about a British accent, like there is just the one. A British accent does not exist, just as there is not one American accent...what people seem to think of as a British accent is something along the lines of BBC English, which only people on the BBC speak like....British covers Scotland and Wales...so accents from there are as British as anywhere else.

Sorry that wasn't aimed at anyone, just I had the need to vent at this moment and time.

Anyway any 'culchie' accent as in people from the country here tends to annoy me a tad, sorry to say this probably includes my cousins in Cushendall......oh and Ballymena, ughh...the West Belfast accent is alright in moderation, extreme examples though will make me strike out violently at the nearest cuddly rabbit:wink:

LJT said:
I hate it when people talk about a British accent, like there is just the one. A British accent does not exist, just as there is not one American accent...what people seem to think of as a British accent is something along the lines of BBC English, which only people on the BBC speak like....British covers Scotland and Wales...so accents from there are as British as anywhere else.

Sorry that wasn't aimed at anyone, just I had the need to vent at this moment and time.

Anyway any 'culchie' accent as in people from the country here tends to annoy me a tad, sorry to say this probably includes my cousins in Cushendall......oh and Ballymena, ughh...the West Belfast accent is alright in moderation, extreme examples though will make me strike out violently at the nearest cuddly rabbit:wink:

Agreed ... even among Southern accents here in the States, there is a huge difference between someone from Georgia, someone from Louisiana, and someone from Texas.

Heck, even in my home state of Wisconsin, depending on where you go in the state, you can hear everything from a pretty unaccented Midwest accent to something reminicent of Marge in Fargo.

Dismantled said:

I'm laughing with you:wink:

or should I say "yooooou":lmao:

:wink:

you should have told her "sore-y" instead :wink:!

A really bad socal/valley girl accent bothers me and I was born and raised here. It makes you sound like you don't have a brain in your head and I've found that most people that talk that way like totally don't omg!
A real strong New Jersey accent gets on my nerves too.
I generally find other people's accents to be interesting to listen to, not annoying.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Why does eveybody think I'm a girl??? :grumpy:

I guess I'll have to go and jump off the "ruff"... :wink:

Rambo.jpg

^ Maybe an avatar like that will prove your masculinity. :wink:

Or, better yet...

ThreeStooges3.tif.jpg

LemonMelon said:

Rambo.jpg

^ Maybe an avatar like that will prove your masculinity. :wink:

Or, better yet...

ThreeStooges3.tif.jpg

:hmm: the second one is definitely more me... Is it just me or does Stallone look allot like Moe?

Besides, it's all your fault, YOU designed this avatar!!!! :wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
Maybe your "Location"?

So if I lived in "I'M A DUDE TOWN" that would be better?

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

:hmm: the second one is definitely more me... Is it just me or does Stallone look allot like Moe?

Besides, it's all your fault, YOU designed this avatar!!!! :wink:

Sorry I make less-than-masculine-looking avatars. :grumpy: I do have a large female audience, you know. :wink:

So if I lived in "I'M A DUDE TOWN" that would be better?

I prefer "In a place that makes 300 look like Candy Land...because I'm just that much of a bad-ass"

originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
it's very rare that i hear a person who actually has the thick new york accent that you see on tv... and when i do hear such a person, the words "staten" and "island" usually can't be too far behind.

:angry:

Back
Top Bottom