Abused - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 05-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:11 AM

Has anyone seen this?

A&E IndieFilms®
“Abused ”

Rated: TV14
Running Time: 60 Minutes
Genre: Documentary
Closed Captions: Yes

Movie. A compelling documentary that examines the case of Susan Greenberg, who shot and killed her boyfriend after living in constant fear of his abuse and beatings. Without "battered woman syndrome" as an available defense when she was first tried in 1987, Susan pled guilty to murder and was sentenced to 25 years to life. But with new laws enacted in 2002, Susan got a chance at another trial. This is the story of Susan's retrial and its surprise ending.
As someone who's interested in criminology and our court system, I watched it last night and thought it was really interesting.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:11 AM
I will have to check this movie out sounds really interesting plus Im in the law field. Took a court room drama class too in high school where one of trials we put on was of a woman using the battered woman syndrome defense.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:11 AM
It was very interesting for me as well, and I'm a black-and-white kind of person when it comes to law. I've taken courses in business law and criminal investigation, but the battered woman syndrome never came up. Maybe because right now it's more every person's opinion for his- or herself. Some people buy it, others don't. What's interesting about this particular case was that it was being used as a defense, not merely mitigating circumstances.

I'm going to have to catch it again sometime because I watched at 1am and was doing other things at the same time. At the end, it appeared that the judge was torn and somehow understood the defense, yet used it to change the crime to involuntary manslaughter (instead of acquittal) and asked the jury to find her guilty of that. I suppose they did, but she was freed based on time served. I could be way off, like I said, I didn't pay close enough attention...

Everything was terribly personal and very specific. It's amazing this woman allowed her story to be told in this way, so that people like me can learn from something I couldn't possibly understand.