"?" about Gen X....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2002revolution!

War Child
mk, i think i'm considered a Gen Xer...i'm 18; born Feb. 29, 84' .... no?
anyone know what the time period spanning Generation X was/is? is Gen X over? (last "?" 'bout Gen X, what is the oldest you can be and are Generation X?)

i know the 80's were the "Me Generation", anyone know what other Gen. were labeled, if at all they were?

n' finally, what is the new Gen. labeled?

...just something i was wondering about this rainy evening (p.s. YES, it is raining in Tucson!!!!!:eeklaugh::eeklaugh::eeklaugh:)

You're part of Gen Y, actually.

GenX, and I'm not sure if this is the correct Coupland interpretation or what not - spanned from children who were born in 1970-1979, or so. Or a little before that - I was born in 77, and I'm at the near cut-off point.

Hmmm. I read somewhere recently that those born between 1965-1980 are part of Generation X. That would make me one of the older members of that generation since I was born in 1967.

The weirdest part of all is that Douglas Coupland (the eternally insightful, hip, heartbreaking, wonderful Coupland, my favorite contemporary novelist), is only a few months younger than my DAD--born in 1961, firmly in the baby boom.

Baby Boomers were born between 1943 and 1960 (from Jim Morrison to Bono), Gen Xers were born between 1961 and 1981 (The Edge to Justin Timberlake). I do a lot of trend research for my job, so I think these years are pretty accurate even though I think the whole labeling this is slightly bogus.

I think that dsmith is the closest to the timeline, but i think that Genaration X goes from '61 - '83! Im consider Gen X and I was born in Jan. of '83.

I think the whole generation thing is so subjective. According to the dates I have, Bono and Adam would be Baby Boomers meaning they should share the same milestones and touchstones with people like Mick Jagger and Bill Clinton. Um, I don't think so! Likewise with Gen Xers, do people who were born in the early '80s have the same memories as people born in the early '60s? Probably not.
I was born in '77 but usually associate myself with people a little older because I have such a vivid connection to the '80s, but my feelings about the '90s aren't the same as someone who was, say, born in 1970 because they were in college or whatever then and I was in junior high and high school.

I was born in 1981, but then again I'm not cynical. Am I Gen X or not? Help!

Gen X Kid #1: Hey, it's that cannonball stomach guy. He's cool.
Gen X Kid #2: Dude, did you mean that or are you being sarcastic?
Gen X Kid #1: I don't even know anymore.

-- from "The Simpsons"

dsmith is the accurate one here re: the Gen X timeline.

The kids born in the 80's are NOT GenX, you are GenY.

I hate to be cliche, but the film Reality Bites is very accurate on portraying much of what is stereotypically GenX. GenY is more accurately shown as a culture in films like Go, and unfortunately, most of the young person-films out these days.

My "brother" was born in 83 and wholeheartedly counts himself as GenY.

As I said before, I was born in 77 and I am at the cut-off point.
So to be more descriptive, I would count GenX as the babies who were born between 65-79. Also, much of GenX's "members" were considered Children of the 80s - fully encompassed and influenced by late 70s and 80s cultures.

GenY are Children of the 90s, thusly.

If you go here: http://www.youth.co.za/linksxdefine.htm, this site links to some great articles re: GenX.

From one article: http://www.cpyu.org./news/96falll.html
"The result is a hunger for genuine and meaningful relationships so pervasive among teenagers and young adults today that experts cite "relational deprivation" as one of the hallmarks of the distinctly unique generation born between 1961 and 1980. Dubbed Generation X (a name coined by Douglas Coupland in his novel Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture), Baby-Busters, Twenty-somethings, and the 13th Generation (the 13th generation to be born after the American Revolution), these 14 to 35-year-olds number 80 million and make up the largest generation in American history."

Back
Top Bottom