About Coldplay's next album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aygo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Is there any information about this? The only stuff I could find was about Brian Eno (what a surprise!:| ) producing it and the working titles of 4 songs.
What's happening with the guys and what can we have from these sessions?

Aygo said:
Is there any information about this? The only stuff I could find was about Brian Eno (what a surprise!:| ) producing it and the working titles of 4 songs.
What's happening with the guys and what can we have from these sessions?

all we know is that Timbaland is also working on the next record.

and that they are recording at the moment.

Timbaland did a good job with Bjork's album, especially Earth Intruders. I really dig that tune.

Coldplay looks like they're making the right decision with this album. They know they didn't deliver with X&Y and they're trying to be different, I like that. If you know me at all, you know I don't compliment Coldplay regularly either.

It'll be at least '08 before it comes out...

:tsk: They're getting even lazier than their heroes.

LemonMelon said:
It'll be at least '08 before it comes out...

:tsk: They're getting even lazier than their heroes.

:lmao: :bow:

Anyway, I can't wait for the next album. I'm excited for for the new direction. S I'm a little nervous about Timbaland though.:crack:
(He's working on Madonna's new album too, and that's really got me terrifed.:yikes:)
I'm in the small minority that LOVED "X&Y" as much as "Parachutes" and "AROBTTH". It's definitely more personal than me as a whole than the others. I'd love to see them a bit more experimental in terms of lyrics and the overall sound.

U2isthebest said:

Anyway, I can't wait for the next album. I'm excited for for the new direction. S I'm a little nervous about Timbaland though.:crack:
(He's working on Madonna's new album too, and that's really got me terrifed.:yikes:)
I'm in the small minority that LOVED "X&Y" as much as "Parachutes" and "AROBTTH". It's definitely more personal than me as a whole than the others. I'd love to see them a bit more experimental in terms of lyrics and the overall sound.

Well, to be truthful, X&Y get WAY too much shit here. It doesn't mean anything anymore. It became the site's second biggest whippingpost (besides U2). It's not the best album, but it's solid.

MrBrau1 said:

Well, to be truthful, X&Y get WAY too much shit here. It doesn't mean anything anymore. It became the site's second biggest whippingpost (besides U2). It's not the best album, but it's solid.

In terms of "best" it's not up there lyrically, musically, or vocally with the other 2, but you'd think it was Britney Spears shit by the reactions I've seen here sometimes.:huh:

U2isthebest said:

In terms of "best" it's not up there lyrically, musically, or vocally with the other 2, but you'd think it was Britney Spears shit by the reactions I've seen here sometimes.:huh:

look, this site has done 3 or 4 500 page threads in "anticipation" of Radiohead's new album.

That's the audience here. Take it for what it's worth. And flush when you're done.

:shrug: It was their worst album, but it was just average compared to everything else. The hatred is just of the knee-jerk variety.

I agree. X&Y is unfairly badly seen around here, and although I agree that it's an indulgent album, it's great.

Timbaland... well, that guy is a real whore and guess that everyone around decided to work with him after the sucess of Nelly Furtado and Timberlake's albums...

Now, about Coldplay, what I'd really like to know was about confirmed titles, what sound/imagery directions the band will take, when the album will leak, etc...

U2isthebest said:

That's interesting you say that, because I felt X&Y was the most impersonal of their albums, even A Rush of Blood... What bothered me the most about X&Y was all of the empty space, it seemed like every song was in some sort of vacuum you know? Then you go to Parachutes and you have this warmth and touching feeling when listening to that album, there's something going on in the background. A Rush of Blood... was more dense I guess, relying more on synths and lush sounds, while still sounding personal and setting a mood. With X&Y, everything seemed forced - the ballads weren't touching, the rock songs weren't that groovy, everything was out of place. There was no personality, everything came across very trite, like it was their demo to be the "Next Best Thing." Maybe being more impersonal with each album was supposed to be a logical progression, but with X&Y everything fell flat.

The only song that can be salvaged from that album is 'Til Kingdom Come, which is really a bonus track.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's interesting you say that, because I felt X&Y was the most impersonal of their albums, even A Rush of Blood... What bothered me the most about X&Y was all of the empty space, it seemed like every song was in some sort of vacuum you know? Then you go to Parachutes and you have this warmth and touching feeling when listening to that album, there's something going on in the background. A Rush of Blood... was more dense I guess, relying more on synths and lush sounds, while still sounding personal and setting a mood. With X&Y, everything seemed forced - the ballads weren't touching, the rock songs weren't that groovy, everything was out of place. There was no personality, everything came across very trite, like it was their demo to be the "Next Best Thing." Maybe being more impersonal with each album was supposed to be a logical progression, but with X&Y everything fell flat.

The only song that can be salvaged from that album is 'Til Kingdom Come, which is really a bonus track.

I definitely see where you're coming from! And you're right. I guess, personal wasn't the right word. For me, I guess it's more meaningful. That probably doesn't make sense. I guess it just came at a time when I needed it. This is really going to get me flamed, but "Fix You" is actually my favorite track on the album. It's far from the best, but it's the one that's gotten me through a lot. I would definitely like something that seemingly has more work and thought behind it on this album, but "X&Y" was not the musical equivalent of euthanasia.:lol:

U2isthebest said:

I definitely see where you're coming from! And you're right. I guess, personal wasn't the right word. For me, I guess it's more meaningful. That probably doesn't make sense. I guess it just came at a time when I needed it. This is really going to get me flamed, but "Fix You" is actually my favorite track on the album. It's far from the best, but it's the one that's gotten me through a lot. I would definitely like something that seemingly has more work and thought behind it on this album, but "X&Y" was not the musical equivalent of euthanasia.:lol:

The thing about Fix You is it could've been something really special. You could feel it in the song. I didn't buy into Chris Martin before the crescendo (which is amazing) because of the absolutely horrible falsetto. Really, that and the fact the lyrics are terrible, but musically it worked.

LemonMacPhisto said:

before the crescendo (which is amazing)

:tsk: WORST. GUITAR SOLO. EVER.

What kills Fix You is definitely the lyrics. That, and it takes 3 minutes for it to go anywhere at all. By then, my face looks like this :mad: and it's not even worth waiting for something that could be better experienced in almost any U2 song. It's just a terrible song, just like Stuck is terrible. (Though I'd take Stuck, given a choice)

X&Y does have some good songs though...Square One, What If, White Shadows, Talk, Speed Of Sound, and Til Kingdom Come are all at least palatable, but the rest justify the Coldplay jokes completely.

The solo does suck, but everything kicks into another gear. If the song worked, that would've been the transcending moment of the album, but it didn't and that's part of why the album failed.

Amsterdam is 10000000x better in the transcending part.

I actually have pretty high hopes for the next Coldplay album. Really liked the first two albums, never listened to the entirety of X&Y since I didn't like most of what I heard from it, but come on. BRIAN ENO's going to help with it, and it's supposedly going to be more experimental, which should be really good for a band like Coldplay.

Martin really needs to spend some more time on the lyrics this time around, though. Another "Fix You," and I'm counting them out.

Fix You really could have used Brian Eno. He would have made those first 3 minutes a true experience and replaced that guitar solo with a stretch of pure elevation. Add two minutes of euphoria and you've got a classic. :wink:

I also think that Eno would have really saved songs like Low, X&Y and White Shadows.

XHendrix24 said:
I actually have pretty high hopes for the next Coldplay album. Really liked the first two albums, never listened to the entirety of X&Y since I didn't like most of what I heard from it, but come on. BRIAN ENO's going to help with it, and it's supposedly going to be more experimental, which should be really good for a band like Coldplay.

Martin really needs to spend some more time on the lyrics this time around, though. Another "Fix You," and I'm counting them out.

:up: I'm not concerned with the Timbaland input since I like the little that I've heard of his style so far.
I'm just waiting for the feeling I got when I heard Parachutes but with a departure from X&Y. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

That was the low point of X&Y for me...and unnecessary and bland bonus track.

X&Y is better than most of the shit out there, and Square One, Speed Of Sound, Talk and Swallowed In The Sea are some of Coldplay's finest moments.

It would've been rather sweet if they replaced A Message and Fix You with some of the stunning b-sides from the sessions (Things I Dont Understand, Gravity, World Turned Upside Down). But hey, what band isnt guilty of relegating some their best tunes to B-Side status (Bends-era Radiohead, Kid Amnesiac-era Radiohead, SOTSOG-era Oasis).

Had some of these b-sides made it onto the album, X&Y would have sounded like a much more cohesive album with a better flow from track to track.

LemonMelon said:

:tsk: WORST. GUITAR SOLO. EVER.

What kills Fix You is definitely the lyrics. That, and it takes 3 minutes for it to go anywhere at all. By then, my face looks like this :mad: and it's not even worth waiting for something that could be better experienced in almost any U2 song. It's just a terrible song, just like Stuck is terrible. (Though I'd take Stuck, given a choice)

X&Y does have some good songs though...Square One, What If, White Shadows, Talk, Speed Of Sound, and Til Kingdom Come are all at least palatable, but the rest justify the Coldplay jokes completely.

Stuck is not terrible, I am loving it more and more. A saver for me.

Now. I agree with the lyrics on Fix You. Anything about the son that "could have been" special was killed by "and ignite your bones" in my opinion.

I still love Square One, Speed of Sound, and I don't mind a few others.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The thing about Fix You is it could've been something really special. You could feel it in the song. I didn't buy into Chris Martin before the crescendo (which is amazing) because of the absolutely horrible falsetto. Really, that and the fact the lyrics are terrible, but musically it worked.

The crescendo is definitely where it grabs me every time. The lyrics are pretty "telethon-ish", but I think you hit the nail on the head with saying it could've been something special. I think that's the issue. The music is beautiful, and I think it snapped me up so much I was really lenient on my expectations for the lyrics. With better lyrics it certainly could've been up there as one of their best songs.

Edited to say, I just now noticed your av...and you are offically amazing!:bow: :lmao:

Last edited:
intedomine said:

That was the low point of X&Y for me...and unnecessary and bland bonus track.

X&Y is better than most of the shit out there, and Square One, Speed Of Sound, Talk and Swallowed In The Sea are some of Coldplay's finest moments.

It would've been rather sweet if they replaced A Message and Fix You with some of the stunning b-sides from the sessions (Things I Dont Understand, Gravity, World Turned Upside Down). But hey, what band isnt guilty of relegating some their best tunes to B-Side status (Bends-era Radiohead, Kid Amnesiac-era Radiohead, SOTSOG-era Oasis).

Had some of these b-sides made it onto the album, X&Y would have sounded like a much more cohesive album with a better flow from track to track.

:ohmy: I've never heard those B-sides. How did that happen?:scratch: I don't suppose anyone could send them to jesusgirl06@yahoo.com ?:flirt:

Back
Top Bottom