Abercrombie & Fitch thongs for kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This store ought to be ashamed of itself.

Why on earth do little girls need thongs?

When I was 7 I think I was still wearing my C3-P0 Star Wars underoos, life didnt get much better than that!

------------------

Say Goodbye, Don't Follow.

Rest in Peace Layne.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I would like A & F to go on record and explain exactly what "wink wink" is supposed to mean when placed on an 8 year old girls crotch. And who would consider a little girl "eye candy"? And I don't even want to get into what the ones with the cherries is supposed to mean.

This is just more sick sexualization of little girls.

There is no logical reasoning for this. Thongs normally serve one of 2 purposes, either to eliminate panty lines or to make your ass look good for your man. Which of these would an 8 year old need them for?

You are right. This turns my stomach.

Thongs for 8-year-olds are fine particularly when you consider how many young boys are molested by priests. c'mon its time to give the girls a chance with pedophiles. equal opportunity!

[note the sarcarm...read a story last August about parents having trouble buying school clothes for their 10-year-old daughters because everything on the racks was too slutty]

not funny
icon13.gif

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

You know I totally don't agree with this. Why is there a need in this society to push sexuality with younger people over the limit. I don't understand the intent of such things. Why is it so widely accepted in today's society for young kids to grow up so fast. I just don't get it. You know what bothers me the most - is people's comments about pedophiles and the like - you know you may be kidding when you say it, but the fact of the matter is you thought about it enought to say it and that's just wrong..maybe I'm too sensitive about this topic but it saddens me greatly and I don't look forward to my kids growing up in these times at all.

gotta question: will the parents buy though?

i think ultimately it will come down to the parents buying them for their kids (unless seven year olds are holding down jobs, stealing, selling whatever). it will come down to the parents to decide whether or not their child is subjected to this sickness. and whatever would drive a parent to be like "a thong for my child? sure thing!" is beyond in a very bad way.

I did some research and found this on their website - basically if you are gonna boycott A&F you'll wanna stay away from Hollister also, since they are the same company.

"Abercrombie & Fitch Co. is a leading specialty retailer encompassing three concepts - Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie, and Hollister Co. The company focuses on providing high-quality merchandise that compliments the casual classic American lifestyle. The merchandise is sold in retail stores throughout the United States and through catalogs. It also operates an e-commerce website at www.abercrombie.com, a kids website at www.abercrombiekids.com, and publishes a magalog called the A&F Quarterly.

Abercrombie & Fitch, which targets ages 18 through college, went public in October 1996 and spun-off from The Limited in May 1998. abercrombie kids (ages 7 ? 14) was introduced in 1997. The latest concept, Hollister Co. was introduced in July 2000, and targets 14 ? 18 year olds."

Originally posted by 404 Not Found:

The company focuses on providing high-quality merchandise

"High-quality"? Okay, that's a joke, right?

------------------
Beneath the heart of darkness/ Lies an old machine that's reeling/ Forgotten dust and sunlight/ Silent and removed from feeling/ The peace in my mind is drowning, fading down/
There's nothing left burning, it's all out

Considering the fact that I've never so much as set foot within an Abercrombie store, I don't think my boycotting power is going to do much good.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
There is no logical reasoning for this. Thongs normally serve one of 2 purposes, either to eliminate panty lines or to make your ass look good for your man. Which of these would an 8 year old need them for?
very disturbing indeed

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:

Summaritively...

Anyone else want to question me about my answers?

First, summaratively is not a word.

And by what you've written about anyone else questioning your answers, I feel that you believe you've put me in my place. I strongly disagree, and I stand by my statements that most little kids (I'm talking kids before puberty) don't know what thongs are and don't buy their own underpants.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
First, summaratively is not a word.

And by what you've written about anyone else questioning your answers, I feel that you believe you've put me in my place. I strongly disagree, and I stand by my statements that most little kids (I'm talking kids before puberty) don't know what thongs are and don't buy their own underpants.

Ok, lets all be anal about grammar!! If you like, I can go back and fix every little detail and comma throughout this entire thread, but it wont accomplish a fucking thing so dont harp on me about it.

Next, I dont feel I put you in your place, you dont have a place to be put in, your opinions are valid and it was fair of you to question my initial comments, I dont think its that much to ask if anyone has thoughts on what I just said - and yes my grammar is bad in posts that I type up and post without checking over, so dont bitch at me about it any further. Next, I was just stating that from personal experiance and observation that there are a lot of prepubescent kids out there who do 'buy' their own undergarments and do know what a thong is, but by 'buy' i mean they pressure their parents into buying it, since they have no buying power of their own and arent even eligible for a job until theyre at least 13. I wont contest the fact that most kids dont, I wont even contest the fact that most intelligent parents out there wouldnt buy something like that for their kid, but, there are people who would. Youd be suprised what kids know nowadays, youd be suprised by the insolence that some of them exhibit...

I have to go for dinner, Ill finish this later, if I remember that is... *bad memory*

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
I wont contest the fact that most kids dont, I wont even contest the fact that most intelligent parents out there wouldnt buy something like that for their kid, but, there are people who would. Youd be suprised what kids know nowadays, youd be suprised by the insolence that some of them exhibit...

So tell me why it is our responsibility to tell parents what they can or cannot buy for their children can wear? This is a product that will either sink or swim on sheer economics. Most parents will not buy these for their children, so, by sheer economics, this should be a failure that will go away. However, if it isn't a failure, that means that parents are buying these for their children, and that is their full right to do so, no matter how repugnant you or I might find them to be.

I guess I find myself disturbed over "moral crusades" these days.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Originally posted by melon:
So tell me why it is our responsibility to tell parents what they can or cannot buy for their children can wear? This is a product that will either sink or swim on sheer economics. Most parents will not buy these for their children, so, by sheer economics, this should be a failure that will go away. However, if it isn't a failure, that means that parents are buying these for their children, and that is their full right to do so, no matter how repugnant you or I might find them to be.

Melon

Its our responsibility to tell them because its our world we live in, we all share it, all have a part in it, and yes people have the right to raise their kids and yes people have the right to wear whatever they want, but as concerned and offended individuals we also have the right to try and prevent the world we all live in from going to shit. There needs to be the greatest good for the greatest number of people, thats an irrefutable fact. If you have to violate someones supposed right of expression or whatever, to prevent them from buying something horribly innappropriate for their kids and furthering the downward spiral of our culture into an immoral hell-hole where noone is accountable for their own actions, then I think that end justifies the means of preventing them from doing so. There should be public outcry about it. I still dont think it changes the fact that A&F is exploiting the vain and the stupid in attempt to make money, plus theres always 'any media exposure is good media exposure', gets people to pay attention to your company, and one way or another, you'll likely end up making more profit in the end - its a throw of the dice, but theres potential.

Yes, this whole thing makes me kind of sick too. I dont know... Again, Im not defending the company, Im just saying that there are logistical grounds upon which they can base their descicion making. *vomitting smilie @ A&F*

I agree. I see no need for a moral crusade here. I don't like 'em so I've decided not to purchase any of their products, not just the kiddie thongs. I've let my friends and family know that I think A&F blows, and maybe some of them will think twice before they give them any cash.

sheer economics. by sheer economics,

heh, that's a lot of sheer economics.

i know what you're saying though...i go back and forth on it constantly. part of me is like "there is wrong going on and I have the power to do something!" the other part is like "that's the balance of life, who am i to make decisions for them?" but i like the first part better. but, whatever floats yer boat, right?
wink.gif

------------------
Rebel with a cause....and a red car.

Originally posted by BEAL:

I love thongs like any guy, in fact my g/f wears nothing but(she's 25...lucky me
biggrin.gif
)

lilly's bio fact du jour:

wearing thongs causes yeast infections.

------------------

She's been wearing them since she was 17 and has had no problems....yet I guess.

I'm kind of torn on the whole A&F thing. I'd really like more attention brought to this, cause I think nearly everyone would agree that it's sick....BUT the attention is what A&F wants.

like whoever said, best thing we can do is not buy anything from them.

Originally posted by Lilly:

I'd have felt a lot better if I could have gone to my grave not knowing that.

Originally posted by speedracer:
I'd have felt a lot better if I could have gone to my grave not knowing that.

never, EVER take a bio class.

------------------

Originally posted by Lilly:

Disgusting but true fact #2

Women have been treated for vaginal and anal injuries caused by thongs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom