Abbey Road or Achtung Baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you like more?

• Abbey Road - The Beatles

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Achtung Baby - U2

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • Both... can't decide... :crazy:

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm interested in seeing how these albums hold up on this site... esp. here in B&C! :dance:

These are like #1 and #2 on my list of all-time favorite albums ever! :love:

Thank you for the most interesting poll I've ever seen at Interference - the hardest for me to choose anyway.

In the end (no pun intended) I went with Abbey Road. For those who dismiss the album because of its first half....everything from I Want You is an amazing collection of tunes.

The fact that the B-Side is basically a long chain of songs marking the end of the Beatles career gives it that much more value to me. It's almost heartbreaking where each band member takes a little solo and then all sing:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to
The love you make

and that's it. That's the end of the Beatles and they couldn't have gone out with more dignity or grace.
Achtung Baby is just a tenth of a percent below AR though.

And keep in mind that I'm just comparing the albums, not the eras. When you take the aura of ZooTV into account of course AB takes the cake.

Canadiens1160 said:

The fact that the B-Side is basically a long chain of songs marking the end of the Beatles career gives it that much more value to me. It's almost heartbreaking where each band member takes a little solo and then all sing:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to
The love you make

and that's it. That's the end of the Beatles and they couldn't have gone out with more dignity or grace.

Yes!!! I esp. agree with that last thing you said! :up:

I love Abbey Road! :heart: In fact I'm listening to it right now!

*tears of joy*

But anyway, I voted for both... because I love both dearly!

I love U2 but AB is probably the only album of theirs I'd put up there with the top 4 or 5 Beatle albums-I love JT but I'm not sure if it would quite be up there.

I'm not sure, gonna have to think about it

yeah i've been listening to ABBEY a lot recently...i agree with the post about the End, and how the Beatles went out gracefully. Some people don't know that this was recorded after Let It Be, and it consoles me deeply to hear the Fab 4 working together nicely in a balanced manner which included gems from George Harrison. They were having FUN on that record, and it made me smile and think back of their Beatlemania mop-top days...

the whole medley at the end, omg i wish U2 could be as creative as they were....and Her Majesty is the best acoustic song ever

Didn't see the Both button at first :wink:

oh man, both albums are so amazing but it's hard to compare

The Beatles at the twilight of their career, or U2 at their creative rennesiance? :shrug:

While I do love the Beatles, I still voted for U2. I can listen to Achtung Baby over and over and not get tired of it. I think if I played Abbey Road, I'd be skipping around and not listening to every song... But that's just me... :shrug:

Abbey Road is a big middle finger to anyone who doubt's George Harrison's songwriting ability.

'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' are two of the greatest pop songs ever written.

And I consider everything from 'You Never Give Me Your Money' onwards(the Abbey Road Medley) to be one of the great artistic accomplishments in the history of pop/rock music.

I love Achtung Baby with every fiber of my being, but Abbey Road has a place in history that Achtung just doesn't have...yet.

Both...

Achtung is not my favourite U2 album (#3) but I love it to death.

Abbey Road is the Beatles album that I most like to listen straight through.

One will be classic, the other IS classic

Really can't decide, I love them both

well :hmm: it´s clear any sort of these polls are very influenced by U2-mania here :eyebrow:

Both albums are outstanding and very different each other :drool: ... but... just with the Cover album Abbey Road wins :heart:

The B-side is one of the most original pieces of work ever done :shocked:

BrownEyedBoy said:

I don't get it. What's so good about Blackbird? :scratch:
Simplicity and charm. I actually like Jenny Wren off Paul's new album more than Blackbird though. :drool:

Gotta go with Achtung, but why is Abbey Road the competition? Why not Sgt. Pepper or Revolver? Those seem to be their highest rated albums. Although U2 would be lucky to go out on as high of a note as Abbey Road. I do love the album, even named my Yellow Lab puppy Abbey. :)

This poll is of course a little biased, to say the least, because it takes place here.

It's Abbey Road for me, though. Simply because there aren't any songs on Achtung Baby that can compete with songs such as:

Something

Here Comes The Sun

Because

You Never Give Me Your Money

....and do I have to mention the most beautiful medley in the history of popular music ever?

bsp77 said:
but why is Abbey Road the competition? Why not Sgt. Pepper or Revolver? Those seem to be their highest rated albums.

Well.... of what I've heard, Abbey Road is the most popular Beatles album in fan circles. I personally know many that consider Sgt. Peppers overrated. Of course, that said, Revolver would give Abbey a run for it's money. Anyway I myself like Abbey Road the best out of their albums! It's sheer joy to listen to from start to finish! It has these euphoric moments like most of 'You Never Give Me Your Money', when that tune returns later on in the album and the final part of The End.. that bring tears to my eyes!

:lmao:!!! at Headache's sig! Is that a photoshop job or what? Please don't tell me you actually found toilet paper called Mercy!

In that competition for me Achtung is the winner. But between Revolver vs Joshua tree I can't decide. Pet Sounds is the best of all.

I just realized that it may be Achtung Baby for me too, just a tad above Abbey Road because Come Together bores me most of the time. I end up skipping it and playing the record from Something. :reject:

Abbey Road is probably my favourite Beatles album whereas Achtung Baby is only my 2nd or 3rd favourite U2 album - but I still voted for Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom