Abba apreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aygo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
More recenly, I've been rediscovering my parents' ABBA albums, and I decided to buy some others, because I started to be more interested.

I always knew the classic, but never payed big attention to it. My bad!...

I've been learning and starting to think that ABBA is probably one of the greatest bands from the 1970's.
It's very strange that - just like other bands such as The Beatles - many of their songs still sound very fresh and don't seem to age.
I think that this quartet probably built some of the greatest pop songs ever.
What's more strange is that these are not simple pop tunes. Some of these compositions have very uncommon sections and ideas included. Always very original, and it's strange that many pop artists don't take these examples to apply to their music.

Very simple and direct lyrics, minimalist (but not simple) instrumentals, but the songs can't leave anyone indifferent because of its magic.

Leave your comments about these (too) fab four.:D :dance:

I think you nailed it: Great songs, passionate performances, and originality. And much of it was corny as hell! I think they got away with it because it all seemed sincere, and not overtly calculated like so much of today's pop music.

ABBA "THE best pop band in the world"

you can't help but like them :love:

Now im going to pull out all my ABBA albums....

angelordevil said:
I think you nailed it: Great songs, passionate performances, and originality. And much of it was corny as hell! I think they got away with it because it all seemed sincere, and not overtly calculated like so much of today's pop music.

That's exactily the main differences between ABBA's (and some other artists from the 60's and 70's... or even the 80's) music and the pop music of today. Everythinghas always something calculated and it doesn't seem sincere, as you say.

Abba are amazing :love: :dance: :bow: :applaud:

Loved the film about their tour in Australia :heart:

Also, Eagle is such an underated song of theirs! :(

Has anyone seen Bjorn Again, the tribute band? They're awesome. I want them to come back to the States again soon.

Love them.

Check your local PBS listings ... at the end of December or beginning of January I stumbled onto a documentary on the history of Abba. Lots of good interviews and old concert footage.

Super Troupers: Thirty Years of Abba
This retrospective celebrates 30 years of ABBA's worldwide popularity. Agnetha, Frida, Benny, Bjorn, and producer Pete Waterman tell the story of the pop group's early beginnings, their rise to international acclaim, and the reasons for their demise. This documentary integrates material from ABBA: The Movie, a documentary about their first tour of Australia; current and archival concert footage; and interviews with band members. The documentary culminates with three of the four group members reuniting in London at a performance of the stage hit Mamma Mia!, which features several of their songs.

Dancing Queen
Waterloo
I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
S.O.S.
Mamma Mia
Money, Money, Money
Knowing Me, Knowing You
Eagle
Take A Chance On Me
Thank You For The Music
Summer Night City
Chiquitita
Does Your Mother Know
Voulez-Vouz
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!(A Man After Midnight)
The Winner Takes It All
Super Trouper
Lay All Your Love On Me
On And On And On
Our Last Summer
The Way Old Friends Do
The Visiters
One Of Us
When All Is Said And Done

:drool:

How many middle school/high school kids do you think are out there who heard that Madonna song and how no idea that the catchy-ass riff driving the song is Abba?

namkcuR said:
Dancing Queen
Waterloo
I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
S.O.S.
Mamma Mia
Money, Money, Money
Knowing Me, Knowing You
Eagle
Take A Chance On Me
Thank You For The Music
Summer Night City
Chiquitita
Does Your Mother Know
Voulez-Vouz
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!(A Man After Midnight)
The Winner Takes It All
Super Trouper
Lay All Your Love On Me
On And On And On
Our Last Summer
The Way Old Friends Do
The Visiters
One Of Us
When All Is Said And Done

:drool:

How many middle school/high school kids do you think are out there who heard that Madonna song and how no idea that the catchy-ass riff driving the song is Abba?

I can add:

Fernando
Ring Ring
I Have A Dream
Super Trouper
Name Of The Game:drool:

THERE WAS SOMETHING IN THE AIR THAT NIGHT, THE STARS SO BRIGHT, FERNANDO!

Every fibre of my rock fan being tells me I should hate ABBA with my heart and soul, but it's impossible. The most infectious pop group of all time.

namkcuR said:

Even my snotty 13 and 14 year old Spanish students who had no taste in music knew it was ABBA.

ABBA :up:

I was recently watching "Muriel's Wedding" with a 24 year old who had never heard of Abba. I was speechless for a minute. I had to explain why they were so cool.

:heart:

:bow: thank you for the music ABBA, especially does your mother know :drool:
I like them more now than in the 70's.
Bono's live cover of dancing queen :drool:

Back
Top Bottom