a week in ireland/scotland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
how much would a period of about a week cost, in US $ for simplicity, for a couple of people to stay in hotels, go out to pubs, see the sites, a U2 show or two? i foresee the week being split between, say, dublin, edinburgh and glasgow.

i am forecasting for next summer. if U2 is touring, I plan on doing this.

any thoughts?

I was thinking about going to Dublin for a week with a friend this summer and we worked it out to cost around ?300 (about $450)for travel to Dublin and a hotel room for the week. Of course that doesn't include money for going out, going to pubs, etc. I would guess with that you'd be talking nearer to ?500. (around $750). And then you'd need to add money for travel between Ireland and Scotland, which would vary depending on whether you're thinking about flights or travelling down to Holyhead or another port and getting the ferry over to Ireland. Plus the cost of U2 shows, and I'll leave it to a U2 fan who's actually seen the band live to comment on how much that costs, lol. :D

My friend and I did this last summer. Including airfare to Dublin from Boston excluding u2 shows, we paid a little more than $1000 each. We stayed in hostels, although it turns out the Holiday Inn would have only been like $30 cheaper a day (because we got private rooms w/ private bath at the hostels). But, don't stay in hostels. No, no. :uhoh:

So figure on hotel being around $70 a day. Food/Drinks about $100 for a couple (some days you'll eat/drink less and others more).

Getting around the cities is cheap enough, probably $20 per day if you taxi it.

Site seeing, I'd say reckon on each event costing around $10 pp(like site-seeing the Gaol in Dublin, or the Guinness Brewery).

Getting from Dublin to Scotland can be inexpensive if you:
a) book in advance
b) book on Ryan Air or a comporable inexpensive airline
c) do not have an excess of luggage!! My friend and I had heavy suitcases and had to pay like $60 extra to fly from Dub to England. :mad:

But I'd estimate getting from Dub to Scotland for $200 for a couple, if you can do it well/bargain prices. (Ferries might be cheaper, just take longer travel time.)

Getting around in Scotland can't be too expensive. But I'm not sure about that.

Oh and seeing U2. $55 per person per show (based on Elevation-prices & inflation).

So-- olive's cash estimation for:
2 U2 shows
+ 10 days in Dublin/Scotland
+ Food
+ Travel in & between the countries

I think. :)

dublin is expensive!

I jsut got back from Ireland, and beware b/c Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in Europe! you can get a double room in teh city center at a hostel for about 50 euros a night - and it is not at all luxury. Look into staying in the dorms at Trinity College, it might be nicer and cheaper. Food is expensive too - everything is! I got a flight on Aer Lingus from Washington DC to Dublin for a little over $500 in July/August. i spent 3 weeks in Ireland alone and spent about $3500 american dollars. WOAHHHHHHHH!!!! it was worth it tho. Definitely go to Scotland too, Edinburgh is a craic! (craic means good time in Ireland !! LOL)

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
u2 are part of the reason why i am picking up a second job. :up: i am going to see these guys over seas no matter what.

:ohmy: me too! I just found a place that I think will work out with my full time job to work part time.

arw9797 said:

:ohmy: me too! I just found a place that I think will work out with my full time job to work part time.
:ohmy: Did you really?

My friend found Aer Lingus tickets, direct from Boston to Dublin, for $350. I don't know if it was because of the season; we left on March 30 and it was still kind of chilly over there. On the way back we flew half an hour to Shannon, got all our stuff off the plane, went through US customs there, picked up some more passengers, and continued on to Boston.

last year i went two weeks to scotland with just the two of us. it did cost us about 2000-2500 euros i believe.

Back
Top Bottom