A U2-ey Bon Jovi song (or ripoff)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 pages for these cockrockers? You have to be kidding me. I was listneing to REAL heavy metal in high school when this cheese became popular, and it is BY FAR worse than any musical trend, and that includes Nu Metal. Bon Jovi was the most popular of their subcategory, and therefore are deserving of the most ridicule. I mean, Poison may have had a neon green logo and dressed up as girls, but they were a hell of a lot more talented. "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" gallops up alongside "Wanted Dead or Alive" (BJ's only good song) and lassoes it into the pseudo-country dirt where it belongs.

It's My Life is a pathetic retread of Livin' on a Prayer. I can't remember when a band more shamelessly tried to reanimate their own corpses with previously used parts. How sad.

And their whole career is based around girls screaming at how hot Jon and Richie are. Doesn't quite work when you're over 40.

I'm ashamed to even participate in this thread, but bad music must be called out when it is spotted. If you like this band you SHOULD be embarrassed. There isn't enough time in one's life to spend it listening to shitty "artists". There are plenty of bands that write bar rock with much more substance. Sell your Bon Jovi CDs and pick up as much Thin Lizzy as you can. Then ask yourself what the fuck you were thinking all these years.

I'm not a great fan of Bon Jovi. I only have a used copy of Keep The Faith (which I like mostly because of 1992 nostalgia) and the greatest hits. But please explain to me how this band is worse than nu-metal!!! Nu-metal has no soul! It's just a bunch of whiny almost suicidal kids screaming inane shit into the mic over crunching power chords and a 4X4 beat! And most of the lyrics in this genre are so lame, it's not even funny. I admit that Bon Jovi is cheesy as hell sometimes. But they have (read 'had') their moments. So teenage girls like Jon and Richie for thier looks! Many teenage girls like Bono and the Edge for their looks too! Does that make U2 crap? The Beatles' audience until about 1965 consisted largely of teenage girls! And I don't see how overt 'butt rock' like Poison, Motley Crue and Skid Row is any less cheesy than Bon Jovi. In fact I think that stuff is worse. Bon Jovi at least has a long standing career since like 1980 and are still going, albeit by making crap like Thank You For Loving Me. I think we should stop taking our music tastes so seriously and unwind once in a while to some stupid but harmless party music.

Zootlesque said:
I'm not a great fan of Bon Jovi. I only have a used copy of Keep The Faith (which I like mostly because of 1992 nostalgia) and the greatest hits. But please explain to me how this band is worse than nu-metal!!! Nu-metal has no soul! It's just a bunch of whiny almost suicidal kids screaming inane shit into the mic over crunching power chords and a 4X4 beat! And most of the lyrics in this genre are so lame, it's not even funny. I admit that Bon Jovi is cheesy as hell sometimes. But they have (read 'had') their moments. So teenage girls like Jon and Richie for thier looks! Many teenage girls like Bono and the Edge for their looks too! Does that make U2 crap? The Beatles' audience until about 1965 consisted largely of teenage girls! And I don't see how overt 'butt rock' like Poison, Motley Crue and Skid Row is any less cheesy than Bon Jovi. In fact I think that stuff is worse. Bon Jovi at least has a long standing career since like 1980 and are still going, albeit by making crap like Thank You For Loving Me. I think we should stop taking our music tastes so seriously and unwind once in a while to some stupid but harmless party music.

Bon Jovi are the complete opposite of many of the indie bands loved on this forum. And for that reason, they are hated.

They're not deep and brooding.

They're not "cool" or "hip."

You can't pose to a Bon Jovi song.

They do battery ads.

They're not really heavy metal.

They used to have big hair.

Middle aged white women love them.

The venom directed at them says less about the band, and more about the hater.

I was a minor fan before I found U2....there's no going back at that point. I even liked the Spice Girls for a bit there:reject:

jon nob jovi is a vain, calculating pretender. what he did to Skid Row was nothing pure corporate opportunism.

Back
Top Bottom