A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 05:16 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antilarry
Stick it up your ass, U2. Cheers. And no, I won't be receiving them with 'open arms' if they release a future so-called 'wild experimental' album, for the simple reason that it isn't going to happen. They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.
Wow, you have a narrow-minded view of what "creative" is, apparent Kid A brainwashing: If it isn't art school prog rock, it's "not creative."

Please tell me you apply this view to ALL the music you listen to.

Cause it means you're missing out on some amazing stuff, besides U2. I feel bad for you.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
If you read my post properly, you will notice was talking about people commenting, not what U2's intentions were.

JT is by far the most mainstream album they've done until that time in their career, loaded with huge choruses (of course no one minded those till 2000) and very melodic. First 4 songs, RTSS, Red hill town, In god's country, Trip through your wires, the whole album except maybe Exit could easily be played on the radio.
(COBL's chorus is one of the weakest choruses they ever had. worst off the Bomb.)

U2 was very proud of being no.1 on the charts in US, and having no. 1 singles. Bono even boasted about it on the JT tour - so it was certainly their desire to be popular. None of this has to do whether UF sold well or not, but can you not see how people could feel that JT was deliberately written to be popular, compared to the first four albums?

And care to provide any proof to the "clear" intentions for ATYCLB? I was under the impression they were listening to pop music and that inspired them and were planning on a more direct sound anyway, even during the Popmart tour.
Did you see the making of the Joshua Tree DVD? When they are talking about With or Without You Bono makes the point that there was nothing out there on the radio that sounded anything like that. He said the only reason it sounds "normal" is because we've heard it so many times. So obviously at the time they were not worried about writing radio hits, they were wanting to write great songs and then promote them and if they became radio hits then even better. I think we ATYCLB they decided to write more "listener friendly" songs from the get go.

And come on, can you name me another U2 album that has more radio friendly, boy bandish, cheesy lyrics?

BD - It's a Beautiful Day don't let it get away!
Stuck - I'm not afraid of anything in this world, but Im stuck in a moment I cant get out of!
Elevation - A mole's diggin in a hole!
Walk On - I know it aches and your heart it breaks!
In a Little While - Slow down my beating heart!
Wild Honey - Im a monkey swinging through the trees!
Peace on Earth -
Grace - it's the name of a girl and also a though that can chage the world!

Old 10-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Re: Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

What nonsense!!! Just cos JT was quite mainstream and popular as hell doesn't mean they were intentionally making it to sell. In fact it's only the first 4 songs and maybe RTSS that are radio friendly. A song like One Tree Hill or In God's Country doesn't have a catchy Britney-esque chorus that goes 'oh you look so beauuuuuutiful tonight'!

If they made JT so it would sell, it would mean that UF didn't sell well or was a flop.. which is untrue. Whereas they clearly made ATYCLB cos Pop didn't sell as well as they expected and flopped.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

And come on, can you name me another U2 album that has more radio friendly, boy bandish, cheesy lyrics?

BD - It's a Beautiful Day don't let it get away!
Stuck - I'm not afraid of anything in this world, but Im stuck in a moment I cant get out of!
Elevation - A mole's diggin in a hole!
Walk On - I know it aches and your heart it breaks!
In a Little While - Slow down my beating heart!
Wild Honey - Im a monkey swinging through the trees!
Peace on Earth -
Grace - it's the name of a girl and also a though that can chage the world!
Thank you!

Btw, did you mean that you like Peace On Earth? Cos I do. At least it's one song (along with WILATW and NY) that doesn't have cheesy sing along choruses and boy band lyrics!

And U2Man, it's hard to determine which side of the fence you're on cos you seem to be agreeing with both sides.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:52 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Actually, POP was a bigger selling album in its first couple of years than the Unforgettable Fire was.
Doesn't matter. Zootlesque's point still holds. U2 and their management's expectations for the album sales were - I can easily guess - WAY, WAY bigger for POP than for UF, simply because U2 was a much bigger name at the time and had just come out of the huge success that AB & ZOO-TV was. POP was, no matter how you put it, a flop in terms of record sales, simply because it didn't meet expectations.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Thank you!

Btw, did you mean that you like Peace On Earth? Cos I do. At least it's one song (along with WILATW and NY) that doesn't have cheesy sing along choruses and boy band lyrics!

And U2Man, it's hard to determine which side of the fence you're on cos you seem to be agreeing with both sides.
Sting2 is right that fans started talking about U2 selling out at the time of JT, but you and Chizip are right in your claim that U2 didn't try to play it safe at the time of JT, or at least not nearly as much as they did after POP.

- and yes "Oh you loook soo beeeeeeeeeautiful, toniiiiight" is way too cheesy and way too joe cocker....
Old 10-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:10 PM
agreed u2man.

chizip, you could have gone WAY longer with atyclb's shitty lyrics.

but 7ust wait. someone will no doubt talk about how "zooropa has pathetic lyrics...they're nothing more than slogans".

let's 7ust hope noone actually replies to that, for it would be equally embarassing to actually respond to it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Good point! Zooropa has pathetic lyrics...they're nothing more than slogans!

I've seen better lyrics in CAR adverts guys!

What about all those lyrics they threw up on the screen in Zootv - SO cliched!!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Good point! Zooropa has pathetic lyrics...they're nothing more than slogans!

I've seen better lyrics in CAR adverts guys!

What about all those lyrics they threw up on the screen in Zootv - SO cliched!!

Old 10-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

but 7ust wait. someone will no doubt talk about how "zooropa has pathetic lyrics...they're nothing more than slogans".
I won't be surprised if that happens. Cos I remember way back in 1993 when the video for Numb was on MTV. And some people dismissed U2 as just gimmicks and no melody.

LMAO financeguy, don't encourage them!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Just a thought...

have any of you considered that U2's age might very well play a role in this. I mean, they're 20 years older now than at the time they created UF and JT. They are not angry, restless young men anymore. Haven't they become more of a family act nowadays? Could any of you imagine Bono regularly pulling kids on stage 20 years ago?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Just a thought...

have any of you considered that U2's age might very well play a role in this. I mean, they're 20 years older now than at the time they created UF and JT. They are not angry, restless young men anymore. Haven't they become more of a family act nowadays? Could any of you imagine Bono regularly pulling kids on stage 20 years ago?
You can have a family & kids, attend baby showers and everything and still make 'interesting' music. In fact, all the more reason why they should not be giving a fuck about sales or popularity cos they've made enough money and been very popular throughout the world. They don't have to write another rebel song like Like A Song or SBS. But they sure could have gone along the lines of the real gems from those ATYCLB sessions... Stateless, TGBHF, Levitate etc.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:48 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

You can have a family & kids, attend baby showers and everything and still make 'interesting' music. In fact, all the more reason why they should not be giving a fuck about sales or popularity cos they've made enough money and been very popular throughout the world. They don't have to write another rebel song like Like A Song or SBS. But they sure could have gone along the lines of the real gems from those ATYCLB sessions... Stateless, TGBHF, Levitate etc.
Yes, but haven't most musicians made their most interesting stuff when they were young? McCartney is the prime example.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Yes, but haven't most musicians made their most interesting stuff when they were young? McCartney is the prime example.
True. But see, I'm saying U2 do have it in them (judging by afore-mentioned songs) but are just letting it go for continued mainstream popularity and success. They could have made an album full of unique and interesting songs like Ground Beneath, Stateless, Mercy etc. Instead they stuck with sing along choruses and cliched lyrics so they could reach the hearts of the widest audience possible. Quality and Minority go together. Sad but true.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Sad but true.
No, U2 wouldn't have put that one on an album. It belongs to Metallica.

Quote:

Quality and Minority go together.
Come on, Zootlesque. You know that is not always the truth.

Beatles