A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:54 PM
yet you post here.

anyway, if the band try something 'wild and new' I'll be very pleased. 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' is one of my favourite U2 records but 'How To...' really did nothing for me save one or two fantastic tracks, and it feels like they're playing it too safe and it's time they tried something new, in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:54 AM
I WOULD LIKE FOR U2 TO MAKE THEIR NEXT ALBUM STANDING UP AND NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH OR ON THEIR ARSS LIKE THEY DID WITH THEIR LAST TWO ALBUMS !ATYCLB/HTDAAB!

yes i am yelling!

Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
I WOULD LIKE FOR U2 TO MAKE THEIR NEXT ALBUM STANDING UP AND NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH OR ON THEIR ARSS LIKE THEY DID WITH THEIR LAST TWO ALBUMS !ATYCLB/HTDAAB!

yes i am yelling!

Of course you are. Deaf people always yell.....
Old 10-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
I think no matter what U2 do on the next album, i will still feel the same about all there old albums, but i dream of a really guitar driven album, for U2 to make next
Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antilarry
They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.
this is really what it comes down to.

artists have to be creative. what's the most creative thing u2 have done since 2000?

love and peace or else? the same song that black eyed peas our asses with the lamest cliche in recent times "where is the love?"

they're in it for the money, honey.

hey, that rhymes. i should pass that on to bono, i'm sure he could use that for elevertigo x3 they're sure to shit out in their next album.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Of course you are. Deaf people always yell.....
That was brutal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

hey, that rhymes. i should pass that on to bono, i'm sure he could use that for elevertigo x3 they're sure to shit out in their next album.

I agree with you but do have some hope for the future that they will start making interesting music again.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

this is really what it comes down to.

artists have to be creative. what's the most creative thing u2 have done since 2000?

love and peace or else? the same song that black eyed peas our asses with the lamest cliche in recent times "where is the love?"

Any artist that signs to a record label does so for the money. The only way that you could say money was not part of is if the band never signed to Island records or any record company, all got general jobs in Northside Dublin and played together on the weekends when they might have some time away from work and family responsibilities.

As for fans claiming that the band were no longer "creative" and only concerned about the money, these fans started to appear in 1987 with the Joshua Tree album and tour.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

As for fans claiming that the band were no longer "creative" and only concerned about the money, these fans started to appear in 1987 with the Joshua Tree album and tour.
Good point.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Antilarry
I don't care how U2 promote their music, because their music is now irrelevant shit. This coming from a long time ex fan, not first time caller.

Stick it up your ass, U2. Cheers. And no, I won't be receiving them with 'open arms' if they release a future so-called 'wild experimental' album, for the simple reason that it isn't going to happen. They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.
So why did you choose to become a member of a fan website for a band who's music is "now irrelevant shit" and finished as "creative force"?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Antilarry I have two words for you.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
it was like the were intentionally making an album they knew would sell.
I bet lots of people were saying that when they came out with JT. Anyone really interested has had the chance to read up why ATYCLB sounded the way it did anyway.

For me, I don't really care if they do experiment - I want good songs from them. That said, I don't think the current "back to basics" phase will last forever, just like the 80's didn't and just like the 90's didn't.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

I bet lots of people were saying that when they came out with JT.
What nonsense!!! Just cos JT was quite mainstream and popular as hell doesn't mean they were intentionally making it to sell. In fact it's only the first 4 songs and maybe RTSS that are radio friendly. A song like One Tree Hill or In God's Country doesn't have a catchy Britney-esque chorus that goes 'oh you look so beauuuuuutiful tonight'!

If they made JT so it would sell, it would mean that UF didn't sell well or was a flop.. which is untrue. Whereas they clearly made ATYCLB cos Pop didn't sell as well as they expected and flopped.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

What nonsense!!! Just cos JT was quite mainstream and popular as hell doesn't mean they were intentionally making it to sell. In fact it's only the first 4 songs and maybe RTSS that are radio friendly. A song like One Tree Hill or In God's Country doesn't have a catchy Britney-esque chorus that goes 'oh you look so beauuuuuutiful tonight'!

If they made JT so it would sell, it would mean that UF didn't sell well or was a flop.. which is untrue. Whereas they clearly made ATYCLB cos Pop didn't sell as well as they expected and flopped.
Actually, POP was a bigger selling album in its first couple of years than the Unforgettable Fire was. Sales after the success of the Joshua Tree are what turned the Unforgettable Fire into a big seller.

The fact is, there was no more intention in having ATYCLB sale than there was in having any U2 album sale. But 1987 was the first time fans began to appear who would say otherwise.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

If you read my post properly, you will notice was talking about people commenting, not what U2's intentions were.

JT is by far the most mainstream album they've done until that time in their career, loaded with huge choruses (of course no one minded those till 2000) and very melodic. First 4 songs, RTSS, Red hill town, In god's country, Trip through your wires, the whole album except maybe Exit could easily be played on the radio.
(COBL's chorus is one of the weakest choruses they ever had. worst off the Bomb.)

U2 was very proud of being no.1 on the charts in US, and having no. 1 singles. Bono even boasted about it on the JT tour - so it was certainly their desire to be popular. None of this has to do whether UF sold well or not, but can you not see how people could feel that JT was deliberately written to be popular, compared to the first four albums?

And care to provide any proof to the "clear" intentions for ATYCLB? I was under the impression they were listening to pop music and that inspired them and were planning on a more direct sound anyway, even during the Popmart tour.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

And care to provide any proof to the "clear" intentions for ATYCLB? I was under the impression they were listening to pop music and that inspired them and were planning on a more direct sound anyway, even during the Popmart tour.

You make a good point there U2girl. Let's also consider that they revisited The Sweetest Thing for the Best of in 1998 because they felt it could have been made into a better, more complete pop song, and this gave them the opportunity to do so.

And let's not say they did that BECAUSE they wanted the Best of to sell bajllions of copies with a catchy single. Best of compilations sell well regardless, not because of a reworked b-side from an album released 10 years ago. So we can see the beginning of U2 desire to venture more into "pop music" which was appearnant on ATYCLB. Just like how HMTMKMKM prefaced the direction they would take with POP.