A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
gareth brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 6,527
Local Time: 12:54 PM
yet you post here.

anyway, if the band try something 'wild and new' I'll be very pleased. 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' is one of my favourite U2 records but 'How To...' really did nothing for me save one or two fantastic tracks, and it feels like they're playing it too safe and it's time they tried something new, in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
gareth brown is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #32
New Yorker
 
shaun vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: LA.cal ROCKnRoll city!
Posts: 3,192
Local Time: 01:54 AM
I WOULD LIKE FOR U2 TO MAKE THEIR NEXT ALBUM STANDING UP AND NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH OR ON THEIR ARSS LIKE THEY DID WITH THEIR LAST TWO ALBUMS !ATYCLB/HTDAAB!

yes i am yelling!
__________________

__________________
shaun vox is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
I WOULD LIKE FOR U2 TO MAKE THEIR NEXT ALBUM STANDING UP AND NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH OR ON THEIR ARSS LIKE THEY DID WITH THEIR LAST TWO ALBUMS !ATYCLB/HTDAAB!

yes i am yelling!

Of course you are. Deaf people always yell.....
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 02:54 AM
I think no matter what U2 do on the next album, i will still feel the same about all there old albums, but i dream of a really guitar driven album, for U2 to make next
__________________
Irishteen is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antilarry
They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.
this is really what it comes down to.

artists have to be creative. what's the most creative thing u2 have done since 2000?

love and peace or else? the same song that black eyed peas our asses with the lamest cliche in recent times "where is the love?"

they're in it for the money, honey.

hey, that rhymes. i should pass that on to bono, i'm sure he could use that for elevertigo x3 they're sure to shit out in their next album.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Of course you are. Deaf people always yell.....
That was brutal.


Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

they're in it for the money, honey.

hey, that rhymes. i should pass that on to bono, i'm sure he could use that for elevertigo x3 they're sure to shit out in their next album.


I agree with you but do have some hope for the future that they will start making interesting music again.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96


this is really what it comes down to.

artists have to be creative. what's the most creative thing u2 have done since 2000?

love and peace or else? the same song that black eyed peas our asses with the lamest cliche in recent times "where is the love?"

they're in it for the money, honey.

hey, that rhymes. i should pass that on to bono, i'm sure he could use that for elevertigo x3 they're sure to shit out in their next album.
Any artist that signs to a record label does so for the money. The only way that you could say money was not part of is if the band never signed to Island records or any record company, all got general jobs in Northside Dublin and played together on the weekends when they might have some time away from work and family responsibilities.

As for fans claiming that the band were no longer "creative" and only concerned about the money, these fans started to appear in 1987 with the Joshua Tree album and tour.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

As for fans claiming that the band were no longer "creative" and only concerned about the money, these fans started to appear in 1987 with the Joshua Tree album and tour.
Good point.
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antilarry
I don't care how U2 promote their music, because their music is now irrelevant shit. This coming from a long time ex fan, not first time caller.

Stick it up your ass, U2. Cheers. And no, I won't be receiving them with 'open arms' if they release a future so-called 'wild experimental' album, for the simple reason that it isn't going to happen. They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.
So why did you choose to become a member of a fan website for a band who's music is "now irrelevant shit" and finished as "creative force"?
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Antilarry I have two words for you.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,952
Local Time: 02:54 AM
good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
it was like the were intentionally making an album they knew would sell.
I bet lots of people were saying that when they came out with JT. Anyone really interested has had the chance to read up why ATYCLB sounded the way it did anyway.

For me, I don't really care if they do experiment - I want good songs from them. That said, I don't think the current "back to basics" phase will last forever, just like the 80's didn't and just like the 90's didn't.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl


I bet lots of people were saying that when they came out with JT.
What nonsense!!! Just cos JT was quite mainstream and popular as hell doesn't mean they were intentionally making it to sell. In fact it's only the first 4 songs and maybe RTSS that are radio friendly. A song like One Tree Hill or In God's Country doesn't have a catchy Britney-esque chorus that goes 'oh you look so beauuuuuutiful tonight'!

If they made JT so it would sell, it would mean that UF didn't sell well or was a flop.. which is untrue. Whereas they clearly made ATYCLB cos Pop didn't sell as well as they expected and flopped.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Re: Re: good "discussion"

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


What nonsense!!! Just cos JT was quite mainstream and popular as hell doesn't mean they were intentionally making it to sell. In fact it's only the first 4 songs and maybe RTSS that are radio friendly. A song like One Tree Hill or In God's Country doesn't have a catchy Britney-esque chorus that goes 'oh you look so beauuuuuutiful tonight'!

If they made JT so it would sell, it would mean that UF didn't sell well or was a flop.. which is untrue. Whereas they clearly made ATYCLB cos Pop didn't sell as well as they expected and flopped.
Actually, POP was a bigger selling album in its first couple of years than the Unforgettable Fire was. Sales after the success of the Joshua Tree are what turned the Unforgettable Fire into a big seller.

The fact is, there was no more intention in having ATYCLB sale than there was in having any U2 album sale. But 1987 was the first time fans began to appear who would say otherwise.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,952
Local Time: 02:54 AM
If you read my post properly, you will notice was talking about people commenting, not what U2's intentions were.

JT is by far the most mainstream album they've done until that time in their career, loaded with huge choruses (of course no one minded those till 2000) and very melodic. First 4 songs, RTSS, Red hill town, In god's country, Trip through your wires, the whole album except maybe Exit could easily be played on the radio.
(COBL's chorus is one of the weakest choruses they ever had. worst off the Bomb.)

U2 was very proud of being no.1 on the charts in US, and having no. 1 singles. Bono even boasted about it on the JT tour - so it was certainly their desire to be popular. None of this has to do whether UF sold well or not, but can you not see how people could feel that JT was deliberately written to be popular, compared to the first four albums?

And care to provide any proof to the "clear" intentions for ATYCLB? I was under the impression they were listening to pop music and that inspired them and were planning on a more direct sound anyway, even during the Popmart tour.
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl


And care to provide any proof to the "clear" intentions for ATYCLB? I was under the impression they were listening to pop music and that inspired them and were planning on a more direct sound anyway, even during the Popmart tour.

You make a good point there U2girl. Let's also consider that they revisited The Sweetest Thing for the Best of in 1998 because they felt it could have been made into a better, more complete pop song, and this gave them the opportunity to do so.

And let's not say they did that BECAUSE they wanted the Best of to sell bajllions of copies with a catchy single. Best of compilations sell well regardless, not because of a reworked b-side from an album released 10 years ago. So we can see the beginning of U2 desire to venture more into "pop music" which was appearnant on ATYCLB. Just like how HMTMKMKM prefaced the direction they would take with POP.
__________________

__________________
Lancemc is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com