A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:51 AM
^ It was about Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:51 AM
oh.

is that really any better?

Old 10-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
well i don't remember u2 teaming up with target to release some sort of collection of tunes that were never available before, prior to 2001/2002.

i remember u2 slutting it up with ipod last year.

i don't remember u2 going out of their way to endorse the ALL NEW AND EXTREMELY EXCITING AUDIO CASSETTE in the 1980's.

i remember u2 teaming up with best buy in the early 00's.

i don't remember them teaming up with any business other than their own record label in the 80's/90's.

i remember bono phoning the white house, mocking bush senior.

i remember bono calling the french president a wanker in front of millions.

i also remember bono recently saying something to the effect that george bush and tony blair are the lennon mccartney of politics right now in terms of fighting poverty in africa. fucking brutal.

i remember bono paying attention to the lyrics he put in his songs.

i also remember the atrocity that is elevation, a sin so powerful, i'm not sure if they'll ever be forgiven for it.

i could go on a lot longer, and i think i will.
You do understand his AIDS work requires a certain tact?

You can't tell someone to Fuck Off Monday, then ask them for money Tuesday. You get that?

You see a difference in the charity work from 2000 on compared to the 80's?

You remember a film called Rattle & Hum?

You remember they didn't get paid for the Ipod ad.

You remember the $6,000,000 the band just gave to African charities?

You understand it's 2005, not 1985?

Do you ever listen to music w/o reviewing a checklist of appropriate behaviors attributed to the musician?

Pull the thread off topic all you like. I'll fist fight you all night.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
oh.

is that really any better?
Well yes actually. Gordon Brown is not a frontman for the oil companies and a few rich families in America. And George Bush is. So there's a slight difference.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:51 AM
Who is Gordon Brown? Another Republican?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Gordon Brown is the United Kingdom Chancellor for the Exchequer.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

You do understand his AIDS work requires a certain tact?

You can't tell someone to Fuck Off Monday, then ask them for money Tuesday. You get that?

You see a difference in the charity work from 2000 on compared to the 80's?

You remember a film called Rattle & Hum?

You remember they didn't get paid for the Ipod ad.

You remember the $6,000,000 the band just gave to African charities?

You understand it's 2005, not 1985?

Do you ever listen to music w/o reviewing a checklist of appropriate behaviors attributed to the musician?

Pull the thread off topic all you like. I'll fist fight you all night.
honestly, i expected better from you. this isn't even a counter-arguement - it's you throwing up your arms in dismay saying "you win AGAIN, deathbear!"

what does rattle and hum have to do with anything? really, you're gonna have to connect the dots for me here.

other than u2 and radiohead, i know almost nothing about any of the other bands i listen to in terms of their charachter so no i don't listen to music based on style as you're probably insinuating.

as for the ipod ADVERTISEMENT, so what if they didn't actually get paid in cash from apple. they still sold a song of theirs to be used in that ADVERTISEMENT for a PRODUCT that they knew was hot...that PRODUCT sold them RECORDS. is there anything wrong with selling records? of course not! sell a billion for all i care, but if you have to rely on SELLING OTHER PRODUCTS to go with it, then your music isn't really what matters anymore.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:51 AM
While we're just bitching about stuff, will somebody tell Bono he can either grow a beard or not grow a beard but whatever he has on his face is neither?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
While we're just bitching about stuff, will somebody tell Bono he can either grow a beard or not grow a beard but whatever he has on his face is neither?

I actually like beards, but I really can't stand the "I'm too cool to either shave or actually grow a beard" look.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:54 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

honestly, i expected better from you. this isn't even a counter-arguement - it's you throwing up your arms in dismay saying "you win AGAIN, deathbear!"

what does rattle and hum have to do with anything? really, you're gonna have to connect the dots for me here.

other than u2 and radiohead, i know almost nothing about any of the other bands i listen to in terms of their charachter so no i don't listen to music based on style as you're probably insinuating.

as for the ipod ADVERTISEMENT, so what if they didn't actually get paid in cash from apple. they still sold a song of theirs to be used in that ADVERTISEMENT for a PRODUCT that they knew was hot...that PRODUCT sold them RECORDS. is there anything wrong with selling records? of course not! sell a billion for all i care, but if you have to rely on SELLING OTHER PRODUCTS to go with it, then your music isn't really what matters anymore.

Rattle & Hum is U2 teaming up with a movie company. A counter to your poor memory that U2 never teamed up w/ anyone but their record company in the 80's.

Again, for U2 to have "sold" their song to Apple, they would have had to receive a fat check for the rights, which they didn't. If the Ipod didn't sell, U2 didn't get anything. Just like a Boy poster, or War shirt.

Ah, and yes, MP3's and the like are just like cassettes. I remember reading many stories of the RIAA going after "cassette" pirates in the 80's, some as young as 12, and actually taking them to court.

The Ipod thing is bigger than the product. It's about making digital music legit as a distribution source. It's a step toward putting record companies out of business. Of couse U2 have to deal with companies other than Universal when it comes to digital distribution. Because record companies have been sitting on their asses drawing up legal papers for the past 5 years.

Oh, it's great promo as well, but you do remember the mess that was Napster/RIAA/Metallica?

Think "big picture."
Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Rattle & Hum is U2 teaming up with a movie company. A counter to your poor memory that U2 never teamed up w/ anyone but their record company in the 80's.

Again, for U2 to have "sold" their song to Apple, they would have had to receive a fat check for the rights, which they didn't. If the Ipod didn't sell, U2 didn't get anything. Just like a Boy poster, or War shirt.

Ah, and yes, MP3's and the like are just like cassettes. I remember reading many stories of the RIAA going after "cassette" pirates in the 80's, some as young as 12, and actually taking them to court.

The Ipod thing is bigger than the product. It's about making digital music legit as a distribution source. It's a step toward putting record companies out of business. Of couse U2 have to deal with companies other than Universal when it comes to digital distribution. Because record companies have been sitting on their asses drawing up legal papers for the past 5 years.

Oh, it's great promo as well, but you do remember the mess that was Napster/RIAA/Metallica?
so do you really believe u2 is involved with apple for this reason:

"The Ipod thing is bigger than the product. It's about making digital music legit as a distribution source. It's a step toward putting record companies out of business. Of couse U2 have to deal with companies other than Universal when it comes to digital distribution. Because record companies have been sitting on their asses drawing up legal papers for the past 5 years."

?

i highly doubt it. i think they want to make it ligit, absolutely, but i don't think they want to make record companies fall off the face of the earth either...
Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

so do you really believe u2 is involved with apple for this reason:

"The Ipod thing is bigger than the product. It's about making digital music legit as a distribution source. It's a step toward putting record companies out of business. Of couse U2 have to deal with companies other than Universal when it comes to digital distribution. Because record companies have been sitting on their asses drawing up legal papers for the past 5 years."

?

i highly doubt it. i think they want to make it ligit, absolutely, but i don't think they want to make record companies fall off the face of the earth either...
Yes. I think that's part of it. The promo is cheap as well.

Go read Flanagan's book "Until The End Of The World." There's an interesting bit in there.

Back in 1993 they were talking about recording an album, and going straight to the consumer with it through computers, bypassing the record company entirely. They were thrilled by the technology.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:49 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

hmm, that's true i remember reading that.

doesn't seem very "u2" though to me, which is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

i dont really care how u2 promotes its music, theyve always done all they could promotion wise. i dont really pay attention to that crap anyway as long as it doesnt affect the music or live shows. but with ATYCLB it seems like it did affect the music. it was like the were intentionally making an album they knew would sell to try to recover from pop. i mean 90% of the lyrics on that album are soooo cheesy, but that cheesy crap sells.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 08:51 AM
I don't care how U2 promote their music, because their music is now irrelevant shit. This coming from a long time ex fan, not first time caller.

Stick it up your ass, U2. Cheers. And no, I won't be receiving them with 'open arms' if they release a future so-called 'wild experimental' album, for the simple reason that it isn't going to happen. They are finished as a creative force. There ARE other great bands in this world, I choose to choose something else.