A U2 Discussion for the B&C Community (Mods - please don’t move) - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

True, but I was really hoping to avoid any of the "Great U2 Defenders" in this discussion. I'm not sure, why some people can't stomach criticism of the band.

Brau, how old are you? You and I seem to have a lot of the same sentiments toward the band. I became a fan in late 85. You?
32. I bought "Pride" on 45 back in 85.

I loved the MELODY!

Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
and I suspect that an attempt to avoid those arguments was exactly why this thread was started here and not down in the EYKIW forum.
Precisely right my good man.

Quote:
From the viewpoint of non-U2 Mad listeners, who just hear it as a new album by a great band (albeit one they own a lot of albums of, and have seen in concert and would call themselves low-level fans of) all gave it a strong thumbs down. Their music tastes are not narrow, they are not left field. These are people who comfortably have Robbie Williams sitting next to Sigur Ros on their shelf and see no problem with that. Jay Z sitting next to the Smashing Pumpkins. Whatever. Pop is cool. Commercial is cool. Left field experimental is cool as well. Still, The Bomb got resounding thumbs down. Why? "U2 are better than this."

I also wanted to avoid the anecdotal arguments. I have friends – some of them professional musicians – who think this is U2’s best album. The fact of the matter is that some people are going to love bad albums and hate great albums, so the “well, my friends think…” arguments don’t get us very far.

I have a friend that plays in a well known band that thinks The Joshua Tree is an awful album with nothing to offer….

Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

32. I bought "Pride" on 45 back in 85.

I loved the MELODY!

I fell in love with NYD.

I'm a few years younger than you.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:17 AM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Some people really can't stomach anyone liking the last two albums.

I love Bomb and love most of ATYLB.

I don't like your attitude on these forums. I find it tedious. Run along.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I wasn't talking about you, necessarily.

Quit playing mod and being a jerk while you're at it. This is the third thread where you made a totally unprovoked attack.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I wasn't talking about you, necessarily.

Quit playing mod and being a jerk while you're at it. This is the third thread where you made a totally unprovoked attack.

Quite running around and playing U2 Crusader. Let other people have their opinion. They don't like U2's new stuff. You do. Let it go. I started this thread to hear people's personal opinions on a question that I have. Now it has been permanently interrupted by people like you (on both sides of the issue).

"Unprovoked?" mmm...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:40 AM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know if you noticed but Mr Brau has been the main defender in this thread. And starting a thread does not mean you get to decide who posts. Oh and I answered the question in the thread.

People can have their opinion, so do I or anyone who likes the last two albums (I mean, the crusaders right?) - or should we be silenced?. Good to see you noticed the other side interruption too. (is it still a discussion, though, when people post opinion as facts and insult others?)

Unprovoked, yes. None of my posts had anything to do with you, just like the "joke" thread when you referred to several posts including mine as stupid and the "defend U2 when I grow up" act a while ago.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't know if you noticed but Mr Brau has been the main defender in this thread. And starting a thread does not mean you get to decide who posts.

People can have their opinion, so do I or anyone who likes the last two albums (I mean, the crusaders right?) - or should we be silenced?. Good to see you noticed the other side interruption too. (is it still a discussion, though, when people post opinion as facts and insult others?)

Unprovoked, yes. None of my posts had anything to do with you, just like the "joke" thread when you referred to several posts including mine as stupid and the "defend U2 when I grow up" act a while ago.

If you can't see the difference between your posts and Brau's posts than the issue here is deeper than I thought. I, however, shall not be part of the healing. I'm done with this convo.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:52 AM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Nice dodging the post.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:

I disagree. A lot of U2's songwriting power comes from the music/melody. Pride, I stil haven't found..., WOWY, One etc - wouldn't be what they are without the music.
Of course they wouldn't be what they are without the music, that's a given - don't talk to me like I'm one of these people that thinks the music is merely an enhancement for the lyrics, I am ALL about the music. But just because the music makes those songs what they are doesn't mean they are based on melodies. One is based on a guitar riff. WOWY is based on a soundscape. Neither are based on melodies.

If you can't see the difference between a song based on a melody vs a song based on a guitar riff vs a song based on a soundscape etc, then you probably don't have anything of relevance to add to this conversation.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
then you probably don't have anything of relevance to add to this conversation.

Strange. I was thinking that same thing regarding this entire argument in this thread....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

umm...how hard is it for some of you (Dalton and namkcuR, I'm looking at you) to ignore someone else's comments if you don't think they are relavent? Does tearing someone else down make you feel better? I certainly hope so, because you are acting like boorish bullies.

I suggest you grow up and learn to accept that others have different opinions, even if you don't agree with their logic.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 PM   #179
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:18 AM
sweet shit o' the lakes, why do people even pay attention to her?

everyone else at least brings something interesting to the table, even if i can't agree with it.

take brau for instance. i wanna strangle him sometimes (and him likewise on me ), but at least i respect the fact that he knows his stuff and approaches topics admirably.

i love you, dr. zeus!
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I suggest you grow up and learn to accept that others have different opinions, even if you don't agree with their logic.
Haha! That's exactly what U2girl needs to do!