A Stones Album for a Casual Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
So good folks I've been becoming lately a fan of Stones , discovering lots of new songs , and today I came across this album :

Jump Back Best of Stones

Pretty good price , in dollars would be 7 , for like 18 songs I think , only reason I think I didn't buy it is I missed Satisfaction and SFTD

And Now I ask you what's the definitive best of them , coz I know there must be a lot :drool: , what's the best choice for a 1st buy of them

Their definitive best of is Forty Licks, as it covers both their sixties stuff as everything after it (they switched record labels in the beginning of the Seventies). And with 40 songs you have a great starting point.

:)

I'd advise you not to get a "Best Of."

There are 3 albums you should have. These can start and finish any Stones collection.

Let It Bleed (1969)
g60318e607k.jpg

Sticky Fingers (1971)
d659409rm33.jpg

Exile on Main Street (1972)
f60130iffzd.jpg

These will include BIG hits:

Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
You Can't Always Get What You Want

Plus the album tracks you'll never find on a "Best of." And the album tracks are at the core of the best work the Stones ever put out.

Rip This Joint
Loving Cup
Shine A light
Sweet Virginia
Sway
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile
Country Honk
Monkey Man

A "Best Of" won't give you "Moonlight Mile" or "Shine A Light." 2 of the most un-Stones sounding tunes, and their 2 best songs ever. I never understood how U2 found inspiration in the Stones, until I heard these 2 tunes. I can send you one of these records if you like. Help make up your mind.

Last edited:
their newest album A Bigger Bang is amazing. Not a bad song on it, and it's 16 tracks. I'd say start off with 40 Licks. Disk one is all the big hits from the 60's, and disk 2 covers the 70's 80's and 90's. along with 4 new tracks.

MrBrau1 said:
I'd advise you not to get a "Best Of."

There are 3 albums you should have. These can start and finish any Stones collection.

Let It Bleed (1969)
g60318e607k.jpg

Sticky Fingers (1971)
d659409rm33.jpg

Exile on Main Street (1972)
f60130iffzd.jpg

You know you forgot one: :wink:
g60321utdmf.jpg

This one includes the hits Sympathy For The Devil and Street Fighting Man.
It also includes the great album tracks Stray Cat Blues, Factory Girl and Salt Of The Earth.

Since we're in the download times, I'll give you a list of my favorite songs:

CD 01:
01) Get Off My Cloud
02) Wild Horses
03) Beast Of Burden
04) Tumbling Dice
05) Brown Sugar
06) Sympathy For The Devil
07) Angie
08) Ruby Tuesday
09) Memory Motel (there's a live recording with Dave Mathews that's insanely awesome)
10) Lady Jane
11) Jump Jack Flash
12) Start Me Up
13) Saint Of Me
14) Stealing My Heart
15) Like A Rolling Stone
16) Under My Thumb
17) Time Is On My Side
18) Waiting On A Friend
19) Hang Fire

CD 02:
01) No Use In Crying
02) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
03) Street Fighting Man
04) Gimme Shelter
05) Let's Spend The Night Together
06) She's A Rainbow
07) Paint In Black
08) Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)
09) You Got Me Rocking
10) Streets Of Love
11) Rough Justice
12) Let Me Down Slow
13) Rain Fall Down
14) Love Is Strong
15) The Worst
16) Out Of Tears
17) New Faces
18) Honk Tonk Women
19) Fool To Cry

I think it's a pretty damn good list to start, because the Stones have too many albums and hits/singles collectins, but a lot of them are woth buying.

I feel stones albums are wank so i just download the songs seperate.

So many huge hits spread over so many many albums.

p.s the recent album is great too.

J_NP said:
So good folks I've been becoming lately a fan of Stones , discovering lots of new songs , and today I came across this album :

Jump Back Best of Stones

Pretty good price , in dollars would be 7 , for like 18 songs I think , only reason I think I didn't buy it is I missed Satisfaction and SFTD

And Now I ask you what's the definitive best of them , coz I know there must be a lot :drool: , what's the best choice for a 1st buy of them

I was about to ask this too, I have 40 Licks but would like to hear more Stones, and I'm not familiar with their work aside from their hits.

Should I go for the big 4 (Beggar's Banquet, Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on main street) or Tattoo you (said to be their last great album) ?
I don't want to jump onto the newest albums and skip the rest...

Last edited:
Re: Re: A Stones Album for a Casual Fan

U2girl said:

I was about to ask this too, I have 40 Licks but would like to hear more Stones, and I'm not familiar with their work aside from their hits.

Should I go for the big 4 (Beggar's Banquet, Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on main street) or Tattoo you (said to be their last great album) ?
I don't want to jump onto the newest albums and skip the rest...

You can't go wrong with any of the big 4.

They're all great and have their own personality.

Start with the "4."

I can send you one if you'd like.

If you're impressed, go for "Tattoo You."

I'll have a listen to Beggar's Banquet :shh: I just found it online and probably listen to the 30 sec clips for the other albums on the sites of CD stores. (which album are you offering to send?)

Which album has Waiting on a friend? I like that song.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I'll have a listen to Beggar's Banquet :shh: I just found it online and probably listen to the 30 sec clips for the other albums on the sites of CD stores. (which album are you offering to send?)

Which album has Waiting on a friend? I like that song.

I'll send you "Sticky Fingers"

It's my favorite.

I had a listen to Banquet and I like it - I'd only known Sympathy for the devil before and Street fighting man. I like the bluesy, acoustic feel of the album.

msvagelj at yahoo . co . uk

Thanks in advance!

This thread inspired me to delve into my Stones albums. I wound up putting together a comp, covering 1968-1974. This is where the legend of the band really comes from. In this 8 year period, they were as good as or better than anyone in the history of rock music.

It's a remarkable list of songs:

#1:
Rip This Joint
Honky Tonk Women
Tumbling Dice
Dance Little Sister
Street Fighting Man
Star Fucker
Sweet Virginia
Monkey Man
Salt Of The Earth
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Midnight Rambler
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Sweet Black Angel
It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)
Dead Flowers
Winter
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Moonlight Mile

#2:
Sympathy For The Devil
Sway
100 Years ago
Wild Horses
Loving Cup
No Expectations
Gimme Shelter
Silver Train
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Angie
Live With Me
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Factory Girl
Bitch
Torn & Frayed
If You Can't Rock Me
Till The Next Goodbye
Brown Sugar
Shine A Light

The list of classic singles is astounding. Yet the real genius of this band is created through the album tracks. "Shine A Light", "Moonlight Mile", "Salt Of The Earth", "Sweet Black Angel", "Winter". The moods are very atypical Stones. Reflective and delicate are hardly common Stones traits, but they manage to pull it off in grand style.

And as far as good olde "Rock 'n Roll" is concerned, well, "Rip This Joint" pretty much IS Friday night.

Beggar's Banquet remains my favorite, followed closely by Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Goat's Head Soup is really criminally overlooked, perhaps because it came in the wake of the mammoth Exile. It is inexcusable that Heartbreaker was left off of 40 Licks, and the same can be said for Waiting on a Friend.

If you're looking for an album, then Sticky Fingers definitely. I'm not a big Stones fan at all, but Sticky Fingers is just a classic. One of those great albums that you put on and don't want to skip at all, just want to start all over again.

MrBrau1 said:
This thread inspired me to delve into my Stones albums. I wound up putting together a comp, covering 1968-1974. This is where the legend of the band really comes from. In this 8 year period, they were as good as or better than anyone in the history of rock music.

1968-1974 is six years.

And I take issue with the statement that the Stones were as good as or better than anyone in the history of rock music. I think that's ridiculous. I think the Beatles 1966-1970, Led Zeppelin 1968-1973, U2 1987-1993, among others, blow the Stones 1968-1974 out of the water.

namkcuR said:

1968-1974 is six years.

And I take issue with the statement that the Stones were as good as or better than anyone in the history of rock music. I think that's ridiculous. I think the Beatles 1966-1970, Led Zeppelin 1968-1973, U2 1987-1993, among others, blow the Stones 1968-1974 out of the water.

Well, we're both wrong, it's 7 years.

I'm not gonna argue with you. You haven't heard 90% of the music we're gonna argue over.

It's a moot point.

You really CAN'T go wrong with any of the BIG 4. I'm really not even a Stones fan, but I can comfortably listen to any of those albums through and through. Sticky Fingers is probalby the best to start out with. Exile on Main Street is my personal least favorite out of the 4 though. But really, you can't go wrong.

If you are looking for a greatest hits cd buy Hot Rocks. It covers the years 1964 - 1971 and is great.

I used to have all the records :(

I love most of what has been mentioned above and the only one that I would add is 'Some Girls' as it continues to be my favourite Stones record.

Back
Top Bottom