A sad day for USA basketball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AHA! You didn't expect that from us little south american guys eh? Mwhahahahahahahahha :macdevil: lol

Yeah baby! we won! we fecking won!!! :D

Sorry I just had to say that! We consider it a wee bit of joy among all hte shite we are going through!:huh:

The article states that "many of the best American players declined to participate in this tournament." Interesting.

If it's the Olympics, then all the top NBA players come out (or used to). But they knew this tournament wouldn't garner much attention, so they didn't join the team. It wasn't a good enough marketing opportunity. Just goes to show what the whole "Dream Team" thing was all about. How perfectly lame.

Bravo Argentina!

Congrats to the Argentinians. Interesting that the US succeeded in World Cup, but now Argentina is succeeding at a previously American-dominated sport in basketball. They played a great game, and deserved the win. Considering the way we played in this tournament, it was only a matter of time.

you can't win forever , even in baseball USA national team ( if there ever will be a World Cup , which i doubt ) will lose sooner or later , no big deal to me .

The Wanderer said:
pathetic, they should have just sent the Lakers over there, an actual TEAM would be a nice concept

:yuck: @ Lakers! :p

But :tsk: and :laugh: on the lost! LOL

I just want Basketball season to start again. :(

pub crawler said:
The article states that "many of the best American players declined to participate in this tournament." Interesting.

If it's the Olympics, then all the top NBA players come out (or used to). But they knew this tournament wouldn't garner much attention, so they didn't join the team. It wasn't a good enough marketing opportunity. Just goes to show what the whole "Dream Team" thing was all about. How perfectly lame.

Bravo Argentina!

The fact that the top NBA players don't always play in the Olympics sort of undercuts your argument about marketing.

A more salient reason that some top NBA players (not all of whom are American--Canada had zero NBA players on its roster) don't play in the World Championships and Olympics is because it adds about a month to their playing season. Should they be more excited to play for their country? Perhaps.

And the biggest reason that the US doesn't field the best team it can is because it chooses not to ask all of the best players to play.

(If you want to see examples of international competition being overshadowed by marketing, there's Michael Jordan wearing an American flag to cover up the Reebok logo on his warmups on the gold medal stand at Barcelona '92, and NBA players *not playing at all* in the '98 World Championships because of the lockout.)

Last edited:
bonoman said:
And an even sader day for the americans they have been eliminated from the tourny by Yugoslavia
:ohmy: Did the US lose again ? Maybe the quality of the other teams is higher than before, a great thing for basketball in general.

Back
Top Bottom