A 'Right or Wrong' question (kinda) re. overheard profanity, esp to parents here....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
......if you walked into your local Garage/Petrol/Gas Station, and they were playing music that has some cussing in it now and again.........esp early in the day as you are walking round gathering up goods..........would you feel comfortable?

Now, this is the 2nd time I have walked in to the shop up the hill.........to hear some rapper music with some 'f*k f*k f*k' come out. And thats terrible to hear esp when u walk past a gorgeous guy and u both eye each other. Ya know? PPle actually shuffle their feet and look down and go a bit red in embarrassement........(mind u it is a bit funny watching a 82 year old woman walk in shouting 'Martha, Martha, do you want some buns!?' - and then a lyric in the lines of 'Wake up mutherf*ker!' comes out while this woman is standing in a fragile state leaning on a stick up by the Coca Cola bootles!)

No its not, really!

Now, maybe it would be something that doesnt bother some of u, but I guess where mothers walk in with their kids she might go 'ARGH!' in her head thinking its wrong.

I dont know, sometimes I wonder though IF - the music is put on and no-one knows the contents (though one song was by Eminem) - and one time Radio 1 were playing Hip-Hop on a Sat afternoon and one song had played with a racist word - u all would know what Im talking about. It must slipped but there was no apology from the DJ.

Now, I guess u all tink Im OTT on this....Im not really, just curious on ur view......basically is it right or wrong for something like this in public that ISNT spoken by a person, but really, no choice but to be heard......

...I think the younger staff like to play rebellious music at this Petrol Station..........but if u have a son/daughter and u walked in, and heard it, how would u feel? Of course kids out there here profanity a lot and copy it, but like, if u were trying to protect your kids from it, otherwise whats the point of a f****** bleeper on TV?

After all, there is a watershed time, and most things are bleeped during daytime TV.

PS - IF ANY Mod thinks this too like a similar past thread (I keep thinking u will think that) - I dont mean it to be - then close it up, alrighty???????

I just want to ask anyhoo....:) :wave:

i used to work for a record store, and the only albums we could play would not have any cussing or something similar, since we'd get customers of all ages in the store.

i get annoyed when im at a gas station or someplace else and i hear some rap song with lots of profanity because my daughter's with me. she's so funny...she knows she's not allowed to listen to rap, so she'll cover her ears voluntarily when she hears it:laugh:

I hear what you're saying Maddie...I don't think its right to play music with cursing or dirty words in a public place. Call me a prude or maybe I'm getting old but I don't want to walk into some place with my kids or my granny and hear songs with f*ck this and f*ck that ...its embarassing.

Many years ago, we were vacationing in Mexico and went to eat at Pizza Hut...our kids were small and we also had my husband's then-teenage kids with us. We heard a song being played over the restaurant sound system and it took a minute to realize what we were hearing :ohmy:

I can't remember who did this "song" ...maybe 2 Live Crew...but they were playing "Yeah...We Want Some P*ssy" :shocked:

I think it may have been the language barrier or maybe not...maybe they just wanted to see the tourist's faces turning red :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm certainly not a prude--and I swear like a sailor :uhoh:--but I would definitely be upset if I went to a store, with kids in tow, and heard something like that.

Swearing might not bother me *as much* (considering my kids will probably know all the words early....) but a song with sexual lyrics definitely would. I'd probably complain.

When I worked at B&N, we weren't even allowed to play loud rock! The loudest we could play was maybe Eric Clapton and even then, it was pushing it.

*Shrugs*

I'm obviously not a parent, so my perspective right now is one that most kids hold...but when I do have kids someday, I probably wouldn't really care, actually.

I mean, they are just words.

Be it in a store, or at home, or at school, or wherever, kids will hear swear words at some point in their life. Trying to keep kids from hearing them won't work.

Swearing's become such a part of our society I would think people would be used to it by now, that it wouldn't shock people anymore.

Especially if you yourself swear-so, you can swear, but you don't want other people to swear, because your kids might hear it (when they could accidentally hear you swear as well)?

That doesn't really make sense to me, but...:shrug:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Especially if you yourself swear-so, you can swear, but you don't want other people to swear, because your kids might hear it (when they could accidentally hear you swear as well)?

That doesn't really make sense to me, but...:shrug:.

I think you misread my post.

I probably would not care if they heard a song with swearing in it. But I *would* care if the lyrics were sexually explicit--and if they were using the swear words in a sexual manner. To me, a band singing "f--- you" is hardly offensive, but I'm not sure I'd want my kids to hear "I want to f--- you like an animal." Maybe that's hypocritical, but it really would depend on the song.

And also where we were. If we're in a toy store or a candy store, or a resturant, someplace with alot of family or varied business, it's highly unprofessional and I might say something. But it would really depend on the song and if the business has any control over the music playing.

I don't have kids, so who knows. I could turn into June Cleaver before then.

Last edited:
Re: A 'Right or Wrong' question (kinda) re. overheard profanity, esp to parents here....

mad1 said:
......if you walked into your local Garage/Petrol/Gas Station, and they were playing music that has some cussing in it now and again.........esp early in the day as you are walking round gathering up goods..........would you feel comfortable?

(mind u it is a bit funny watching an 82 year old woman walk in shouting 'Martha, Martha, do you want some buns!?' - and then a lyric in the lines of 'Wake up mutherf*ker!' comes out while this woman is standing in a fragile state leaning on a stick up by the Coca Cola bootles!)
:lmao:

AvsGirl41 said:

I probably would not care if they heard a song with swearing in it. But I *would* care if the lyrics were sexually explicit--and if they were using the swear words in a sexual manner. To me, a band singing "f--- you" is hardly offensive, but I'm not sure I'd want my kids to hear "I want to f--- you like an animal." Maybe that's hypocritical, but it really would depend on the song.

this idea is not hypocritical at all...i totally agree with it. there is a HUGE difference between those two examples of the use of the word f*ck...the second one being much more offensive than the first.

and i am a proud mamma :D

I have a son who's 4, and I would definitely feel uncomfortable in that situation. Because he's in the stage where he purely imitates what he sees/hears, he doesn't know that some words are "bad" or not appropriate to repeat. I wouldn't want him going to daycare the next day telling his teacher to f*ck off :lol: Or announcing it in church, or to his neighbor friends ;)

Yes as a parent I would have a real problem with that.

I think it would be different if he were older and able to understand the appropriate use of language. But people of all ages are going to be coming in and out of the store so I don't think it's a good idea!

My husband has a hard time controlling his language, but he recently stopped because our son went up to him and said "Daddy why do you say ____?" He was so ashamed of himself he hasn't cursed in front of him ever since!

I get more and more amazed at what is allowed on the radio these days. I sound so old when I say that, and I'm only 21...but I was listening to a station once while I was out of town, and they were saying "fuck" and the n-word and everything...nothing was censored.

I don't have any kids, but I'm in Big Brothers, Big Sisters. My little is 13, but still...we aren't supposed to expose them to stuff like that, nor do I want to. When we drive around and listen to the radio, I flip stations when I know somethin' sassy is coming up. I usually play CDs when we are out for that reason.

I'm such a hypocrite though...cuz I swear so much. :laugh: I have learned to watch my mouth around her...but I slipped up and said "dammit" while we were out shopping last week. :reject: I told her I was sorry and that she should never say that. :laugh: I'm sure she hears worse at school anyway.

I :heart: that kid...so many 13 year olds think they are so grown up and bad ass, and she is just such an angel. :heart: I don't want her exposed to anything bad...not as long as I can help it.

HeartlandSoul said:
I have a son who's 4, and I would definitely feel uncomfortable in that situation. Because he's in the stage where he purely imitates what he sees/hears, he doesn't know that some words are "bad" or not appropriate to repeat. I wouldn't want him going to daycare the next day telling his teacher to f*ck off :lol: Or announcing it in church, or to his neighbor friends ;)

My friend's 3 year old nephew picked up the word fuck and started using it for every occasion (he had no idea what it meant). Eventually he stopped using it, but his parents were so embarassed that he might say it in public to someone. So I can understand not wanting to expose kids to music with swears or sexually explicit lyrics.

At all the stores I worked at where we played music we could only play the lite stations. It drove me insane (hearing lite music for extended periods of time can warp your brain), but I understand not wanting to offend customers.

AvsGirl41 said:

I think you misread my post.

And also where we were. If we're in a toy store or a candy store, or a resturant, someplace with alot of family or varied business, it's highly unprofessional and I might say something. But it would really depend on the song and if the business has any control over the music playing.

I don't have kids, so who knows. I could turn into June Cleaver before then.

I get what you're saying there.

Still, though-okay, you mentioned those lyrics that you said were sexually explicit. See, to you they're sexually explicit.

To other people, hearing that line in a song wouldn't faze them in the least-they'd just take that as another line from a song. Like me, for instance-that line in that song doesn't really shock me at all, personally.

That's the main thing-a lot of people have varying ideas on what is "explicit" language, and in most public places, it's their choice if they want to play music with swearing and all that in the songs. If it bothers some of you personally, then just leave, or if you don't want to do that, then tune it out. Chat with the people next to you and drown out the song.

Now as for the family places, that's a good point, AvsGirl, I'm surprised some places do play that kind of thing with families around-I would think they wouldn't, just 'cause it's a family place and I'd think they'd be strict about the music they play.

Besides, another thing to consider, people-I know sometimes people can take things out of context in songs-a word in a song may seem offensive at first, but if you listen closer and understand the context it's used in, then it seems less shocking.

And if you guys who have kids don't want your kids to swear, then just let them know that even though someone said that in a song that you personally would not want them to say that word. And then you would have to be careful about what you say in front of your kids as well.

Even so, again I say, like it or not, your kids will hear swear words at some point and time in their lives-even in school nowadays, teachers have been known to swear in class-my AP Government teacher swore on occasion, and they'll hear songs with a lot of sexual things in them, and stuff like that.

That's life. It happens. You can't shield them from this stuff forever. Might as well just let them know that people say those words, but then just explain to them that you personally wouldn't like them using those words.

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom