A question for the parents out there.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgv

ONE love, blood, life
How annoyed would you be if your 15 year old daughter (who is fairly responsible and very nearly 16) went behind your back and got her lip pierced? When you made it quite clear that you rathered she didn't?
Is it the sort of thing you think I could get away with should I promise to do the washing up every night for the rest of my life?
Or will my parents kill me?

(Had no idea where to post this so I'm sure it needs moving!)

Personally I'd kill you. Okay, maybe a bit strong a term but yeah I'd be damn annoyed if you'd gone behind my back and done it.

15/16 is that really strange age where you become independant and gain moral responsibility. But your parents still have all the legal responsibility.

If you'd been thinking about it and discussing it with your parents over a longish period of time, and then gone against their advice then I'd have some respect for you.

Being a parent sucks sometimes.

adrball said:
Personally I'd kill you. Okay, maybe a bit strong a term but yeah I'd be damn annoyed if you'd gone behind my back and done it.

15/16 is that really strange age where you become independant and gain moral responsibility. But your parents still have all the legal responsibility.

If you'd been thinking about it and discussing it with your parents over a longish period of time, and then gone against their advice then I'd have some respect for you.

Being a parent sucks sometimes.

I don't care about getting shouted at, but I really don't want my parents to loose respect for me. We haven't really discussed it, its been brought up in passing before and I don't think they even know I want it done.
I just know what my parents are like and they will rule it out completely, and not listen to me when I tell them I will be responsible about it.
So I'm a bit torn!

When I was sixteen the big thing was getting your ears pierced a second time. When I just went and did it my mother flipped. I still have those second holes....but what I would do is maybe make a comprimise with your parents that you wouldn't wear it if it makes them uncomfortable at certain occassions.

As a mom I would be mad at going behind my back, not that you actually got the piercing. You crossed the line of the trust factor. How will they be able to trust you when you ask of them something else?

partygirlvox said:
I just know what my parents are like and they will rule it out completely, and not listen to me when I tell them I will be responsible about it.
So I'm a bit torn!

Tell them, let them 'rule it out', and then go get it done IF it's what you are SURE you want to do.

I think they're ugly things though. I can't understand why anyone would want to do such a thing :shrug:

partygirlvox said:

but I really don't want my parents to loose respect for me.

I think it would be just the opposite...by doing the piercing, you're telling mom and dad, "It doesn't matter what you say!"

What's your hurry? peer pressure? everyone else is doing ? in due time you'll be able to make your own decisions...

You should have seen my reaction when DeadMansParty came walking into the room with his first set of tattoos at 16...wasn't pretty...give your decision a lot of thought....

ok im not a parent but i am the same age and I've almost gotten my belly button pierced and i took it out after like an hour cause i was soo freaked out to what my parents would say...they hate all that crap even tattoos. I would have gotten my bank account taken away with all the money in it, not aloud out after school, my bus pass would have got taken away and given a restricted one..yeah I've been told a shit load of times this will happen...my mom is threaten to take my guitar and ipod away:|...they don't know i did it though...it was just a "what if".....:shrug:

Wow, in Florida you need parental consent to get anything pierced. I think you can get your first ear set pierced without it though. I don't know, I haven't been 17 in a while. :wink:

It sounds like the respect of your parents is more important to you than a pierced lip.
In time, your parents respect for you will/should grow enough so that when you are independent of them in more ways, they will disagree with your lip piercing, but respect your right to choose. It's just a lip piercing. I'd wait.

You say that they made it clear that "they rather you didn't." There's a big difference between that and "under no circumstances are you allowed to do this."

I dunno. If it were me, I wouldn't care. It's just a hole, the piercing can be taken out. If it were my daughter, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. As long as she's not doing something harmful to herself, it's all good. The funny thing is though, because I have this sort of attitude, things like that don't really appeal to her. :shrug: She's a good kid, and makes intelligent decisions for herself. I trust her.

The only thing I've ever said I wouldn't give permission for is a tattoo. That's not because I'm vehemently opposed to them. It's simply because it's a more permanent thing, and I feel that if she wants one that badly (she doesn't, we were just talking hypotheticals), she can wait till she's of legal age, and get one then. That way, she's taking time to think about it, so the whole decision is on her, and she can't come back to me in a few years and say "why'd you let me get this ugly-ass thing?"

What do you think your parents would say if you went to them and said "despite what you've said, I really want this, and I'm getting it done anyway?" I'd consider that route if I were you. Trust *is* really important.

ETA - after I typed this, I realized, she is of legal age now, she's 18. I'm obviously stuck in some time warp where she's still 12. :wink: But anyway, the above would have held true when she was 15 or 16.

Last edited:
depends on your parents, and on other things.

How are your grades? How responsible are you in other areas ? Do they approve/like your friends ?

Personally, I wouldn't get bent out of shape (I have a 17 and 14 year old) if that was the worst thing you did.

I'm not a parent, but I am old :wink:

Emma, you've already gotten tattoos, dying your hair, etc.. and you've mentioned that your parents arent exactly pleased about those things. You really do have plenty of time to do things like this, especially something that your parents told you they dont want you to do.. why dont you wait a couple of years?

Okay I did it, but before I did I spoke to my Mum about it. I asked her whether she would let me or not, and she said 'I think you should wait a few years, but If you want to do it then you can' so it didn't upset her which I'm glad about. I told her how I don't intend to keep it longer than a couple of years (shes worried I'll never get a job) and that I will be responsible about cleaning it etc.
My mum said I'm going to have a tough time with my kids, how can I say 'no you can't have tattoos or piercings?' when I did when I was younger?
:lol: I really don't know how people cope with having kids, if they are like me I know I wouldn't cope!

I agree with many above. I'd be annoyed, and there's this whole issue of trust & that my generally good & responsible child went behind my back. Unacceptable. And what's the rush?. Like PlaATheGreat said, in Florida, and I believe Calif., you need parental consent to get anything pierced. :shrug:

In CA you have to be 18 or have parental consent. An honest tattooist or piercist? lol.. will honor that.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. I live in California and when my son was 16 he was DYING to have his tongue pierced. I was so sick of hearing about it so I called a couple of piercing places and asked about it. Sicy is right, "good" tattoo/piercing places will NOT under any circumstances pierce without parental consent. One artist went so far as to explain to me why piercing a 16 year old's tongue is not such a good idea and it's because until you are over 21 your facial features are still growing and developing, not to mention, a poor pierce job (to the tongue anyway) can cause some pretty damaging health problems. I admit I was stupid for having dragged my son to the piercing artist --twofold. One to piss off his father (we're divorced) and to hopefully shut my son up. I didn't think he would go through with it. Well he did. The piercing guy was really good, he was the same one who had given me all the extra info. I signed the consent and he went through the whole thing a number of times thinking my son would back out. It was so gross, I stood watching. Long story short, my son's tongue did swell and he couldn't eat for 4 days. Many of his friends thought it was stupid. Right after he had it done he started telling people if they were considering it NOT to do it. He also played JV roller hockey and had to remove all jewelry for practices and games (he'd also had his ear pierced at age 8 but by this time wasn't really wearing the earring so much).

Now he says there will come a day soon where he will permanently remove the tongue ring. It's scratched his teeth and every dentist my son has seen has advised to remove it.

As a parent, if I had this to do all over again I would have adamantly refused. It's one thing to do these things to your own body (as I have well over the age of 21 with multiple ear piercings and several small tattoos), but a young person should respect their parents, not succumb to peer pressure by doing things like this because it's the current trend or rage. At least in my situation my son and I talk about it all the time. He says occasionally he wishes I'd been stronger and said NO, but then he doesn't know how long he would have held out before finding some illegal piercer to have it done.

Here in the UK you have to be 16+ to get anything pierced (although thats quite lax) and 18+ for tattoos.
The place I went for my lip piercing isn't ideal, anyone that wants anything from my school can get it done there. They ask for your details and date of birth etc, but I think they will only check it if you look younger than 16. I'm 15 but look older.
I'm glad that I could do that, because my Mum would never have actually given me consent for it (she said thats okay but she wouldn't have gone as far as signing anything for me). But I still think thats pretty poor of them, and this business will get caught out one day because some angry parents are bound to complain one day.

partygirlvox said:
How annoyed would you be if your 15 year old daughter (who is fairly responsible and very nearly 16) went behind your back and got her lip pierced? When you made it quite clear that you rathered she didn't?
Is it the sort of thing you think I could get away with should I promise to do the washing up every night for the rest of my life?
Or will my parents kill me?

(Had no idea where to post this so I'm sure it needs moving!)

Your so rock n roll :lol:

If i was a parent i'd kick ya ass.

Back
Top Bottom