A Question for Teachers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Being that it's the end of the school year, I'm sure many of the teachers receive gifts from students. As a parent... any suggestions of what you prefer? We are buying for 2 middle school teachers this year, and already have 1 Starbucks giftcard purchased. My daughter wanted to make something more personal for the other teacher, and I'm trying to steer her more towards a gift card.

Suggestions? :shrug:

Phil's not a teacher per se, but he "taught" recreational gymnastics to 18 mos - pre-teens. Our favorite gifts were gift cards to local movie theaters or practical ones, like Target.

My aunt is a second grade teacher and gets so many "personal" gifts (like special ornamets, mugs, t-shirts, potpourri) she's usually letting us take our pick, donating them, or re-gifting :reject:

I'd go with gift cards.

Thanks Lies. We were at the crafting store (I am NOT crafty), and my daughter wanted to make something. I tried explaining that while the idea is good & well intentioned, it may not be practical.

I think she settled on a Starbucks giftcard for the other teacher as well. That way she gets it out of the way and can be at her friend's house in the next 15 minutes :huh:

Of course she hasn't thought of the "bag" situation (of which we have none), and I can only go with her today to get the stuff. Last day of school for her is Friday. We stopped into several stores today for ideas and such. She just asked her Dad to take her back to Starbucks...She couldn't wait another 10-15 minutes for me to take her AND get the bags. She's got all frickin' summer to play! :mad:

I've gotten several gift cards (to bookstores, Starbucks, theaters, etc.). Those are always nice, though I'm just as pleased to receive a handwritten card and no gift at all. It's just nice to feel appreciated, especially at the end of a long year. :)

I got an apple-shaped mug with "A+ Teacher" on it and a little stuffed dog inside from a student for whom I wrote grad school recommendations. It's the first gift I've ever received from a student, so I love it, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it :huh: I named the little dog Spud.

Gift cards are always a safe bet. I think a personal note to go along with it would make it personal and meaningful for each teacher, though.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I got an apple-shaped mug with "A+ Teacher" on it and a little stuffed dog inside from a student for whom I wrote grad school recommendations. It's the first gift I've ever received from a student, so I love it, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it :huh: I named the little dog Spud.

Hehe, that's pretty cute. :laugh:

I've gotten a dancing Christmas hamster, a basket full of Capri Suns, a squirrel puppet, a football autographed by all my players, Neil Diamond records, a South Park Christmas ornament, a really cool jacket, a magic 8 ball, mix CDs, a book about Bono, and more Hello Kitty stuff than I can shake a stick at (because my students know I really like HK). Lots of crazy stuff, but it means a lot to me. :)

My mil loves gift cards.
She doesn't get to eat out much during the school year, so gift cards to Red Lobster, Fridays, Steak n Shake, are a real treat for her and she can enjoy them during the summer.

You know I don't do stories but this one made me laugh out loud; I thought of you Martha and it goes for all the other teachers out there...enjoy!

Did you hear about the Texas teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his cowboy boots?

He asked for help and she could see why. Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on. Finally, when the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost cried when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong
feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

And, once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. And no sooner than they got the boots off and he said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear 'em."

Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry. But, she mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again. Helping him into his coat, she asked, "Now, where are your mittens?"

He said, "I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots."

Mr. BAW said:
You know I don't do stories but this one made me laugh out loud; I thought of you Martha and it goes for all the other teachers out there...enjoy!

Did you hear about the Texas teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his cowboy boots?

He asked for help and she could see why. Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on. Finally, when the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost cried when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong
feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

And, once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. And no sooner than they got the boots off and he said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear 'em."

Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry. But, she mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again. Helping him into his coat, she asked, "Now, where are your mittens?"

He said, "I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots."

:lol:

fly so high! said:
Chocolates

I came to post ^, because I actually received 2 boxes today.
Yummie!

Also got 3 cards and 1 gift card for a bookstore.

The first year I teached here, I was totally shocked by the gifts that I got, either around Christmas time or at the end of the schoolyear!!
Mostly, because I simply couldn't believe the $ amount on the giftcards!
Which was much higher than I expected.

I agree that it sure makes you feel appreciated.
But if I wouldn't receive anything at all, that would be OK too.

I know of schools where they have a "wish-tree" and instead of parents/children given presents to the teacher at the end of the schoolyear or when it's their birthday, parents/kids pick a card out of the "tree". On the card it'll say something that the teacher would like to have for in the classroom, which then gets bought.

I like this idea.
But haven't gotten around to doing it myself.

Other than the gift cards, postcards, chocolates, wine, some gifts I have received in the past, that haven't been mentioned here yet:

- flowers / plants
- candles / candle holders
- beauty products (bath salt or soap, parfum)

And there's probably more.
Which I can't remember at this time of day.

And I can't help, but :giggle: about this:

Lila64 said:
Starbucks giftcard

WildHoneyAlways said:
Any type of coffee gift card is a sure winner too.

'Cause I actually got 2 Starbucks giftcards for Christmas.
But don't like or drink coffee at all.

Of course, you can get non coffee drinks at Starbucks too.
And I did buy a few of those drinks (hot chocolates and Strawberry & Cream or Vanilla Bean Frappucino's. ), but ended up giving the cards to my husband.
Who of course was quite pleased!

Last edited:
As stated before, we ended up with 2 Starbucks giftcards. We have done gifts/giftcards in the past, no problem. Just wanted to get a teacher's perspective this time.

So my daughter wrote two letters, 1 to each teacher. One was so touching and sweet I teared up. She ever put a note on the top of the letter, that it might make the teacher cry. I believe she is my daughter's favorite (and vice versa), and this teacher is moving to the other middle-school in town next year. I just remember that at the beginning of the school year, maybe a month in, this teacher called me out of the blue just to say how wonderful & smart my daughter was and how much she enjoyed my daughter in her class. I was (pleasantly) surprised. Not about my girl :wink: but by the fact she took time out of her schedule (early evening) to call a parent and praise her. I think this teacher made my daughter feel more comfortable fitting into middle school, being her first year and all. My daughter thanked the teacher for having them write odes, because she wanted to write one about her grandfather :sad: (see journal 5/5). She said how she was nervous reading it to the class, but when she looked up she saw the teacher crying. It was quite touching :sad:

Ok, and enough tearing up for me this morning. The letter to the other teacher was for her math teacher, who is having a birthday today as well. She wrote the message out in code, so the teacher will have to solve the problem, and match the answer to a number puzzle :lol: My daughter will have her again next year as her elective. Her & her best friend really like her. She's young and cool and fashionable - probably kinda like a big sister.

Last day of school - oh my. Now 3 months of "I'm bored" :lol:
Then again, we have several friends who are teachers, and like most of you are counting the minutes til school is OUT!

She'll probably head back to her elementary school after her classes let out and harass the old 5th grade teacher, who they keep in touch with via email.

:wave:

Last edited:
Yeah, I read about the 2 Starbucks gift cards, before I wrote my post.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

:up: for the letters.
Sounds like they're GREAT!

Lila64 said:
Being that it's the end of the school year, I'm sure many of the teachers receive gifts from students. As a parent... any suggestions of what you prefer? We are buying for 2 middle school teachers this year, and already have 1 Starbucks giftcard purchased. My daughter wanted to make something more personal for the other teacher, and I'm trying to steer her more towards a gift card.

Hmm...I just got done with my 1st year of teaching (middle school level)...the first thing I bought after the end of the day was a bottle of vodka! So that's what I recommend.... haha

Lila64 said:

Wow, your family sounds like the sort that any teacher would love to have as a part of their class. I just want to say, I really appreciate that you and your daughter are so thoughtful and considerate of us teachers. And from your later post, it's really great that your daughters wrote the letters. I can tell you that a heartfelt letter from a student means more than just about any gift on earth.

thanks maycocksean :hug:

I think the teacher she wrote the special "love note" for appreciated it a lot. And she did cry - I think they might try & stay in touch. I think the teacher asked if she could call - I know my daughter can email her thru the district assigned email address. I'm sure the teachers just don't check them once school is out.

ImOuttaControl - enjoy the vodka :drunk: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom