A Question for Teachers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:38 PM
A Question for Teachers

Being that it's the end of the school year, I'm sure many of the teachers receive gifts from students. As a parent... any suggestions of what you prefer? We are buying for 2 middle school teachers this year, and already have 1 Starbucks giftcard purchased. My daughter wanted to make something more personal for the other teacher, and I'm trying to steer her more towards a gift card.

Suggestions?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Phil's not a teacher per se, but he "taught" recreational gymnastics to 18 mos - pre-teens. Our favorite gifts were gift cards to local movie theaters or practical ones, like Target.

My aunt is a second grade teacher and gets so many "personal" gifts (like special ornamets, mugs, t-shirts, potpourri) she's usually letting us take our pick, donating them, or re-gifting

I'd go with gift cards.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks Lies. We were at the crafting store (I am NOT crafty), and my daughter wanted to make something. I tried explaining that while the idea is good & well intentioned, it may not be practical.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Could she pick out some things and make a really neat card and do that with a gift card?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

I think she settled on a Starbucks giftcard for the other teacher as well. That way she gets it out of the way and can be at her friend's house in the next 15 minutes

Of course she hasn't thought of the "bag" situation (of which we have none), and I can only go with her today to get the stuff. Last day of school for her is Friday. We stopped into several stores today for ideas and such. She just asked her Dad to take her back to Starbucks...She couldn't wait another 10-15 minutes for me to take her AND get the bags. She's got all frickin' summer to play!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I've gotten several gift cards (to bookstores, Starbucks, theaters, etc.). Those are always nice, though I'm just as pleased to receive a handwritten card and no gift at all. It's just nice to feel appreciated, especially at the end of a long year.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I got an apple-shaped mug with "A+ Teacher" on it and a little stuffed dog inside from a student for whom I wrote grad school recommendations. It's the first gift I've ever received from a student, so I love it, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it I named the little dog Spud.

Gift cards are always a safe bet. I think a personal note to go along with it would make it personal and meaningful for each teacher, though.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I got an apple-shaped mug with "A+ Teacher" on it and a little stuffed dog inside from a student for whom I wrote grad school recommendations. It's the first gift I've ever received from a student, so I love it, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it I named the little dog Spud.
Hehe, that's pretty cute.

I've gotten a dancing Christmas hamster, a basket full of Capri Suns, a squirrel puppet, a football autographed by all my players, Neil Diamond records, a South Park Christmas ornament, a really cool jacket, a magic 8 ball, mix CDs, a book about Bono, and more Hello Kitty stuff than I can shake a stick at (because my students know I really like HK). Lots of crazy stuff, but it means a lot to me.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Chocolates is always good! My daughter gave her Kindy teacher a little box of Cadbury's assortment.(Cheap & edible!)
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

vino
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:38 PM
As much as I'd love to get a bottle of vino it's the notes, cards and letters that I like the best.

Any type of coffee gift card is a sure winner too.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

whatever wha

you know you just want booze

Old 06-15-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

My mil loves gift cards.
She doesn't get to eat out much during the school year, so gift cards to Red Lobster, Fridays, Steak n Shake, are a real treat for her and she can enjoy them during the summer.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
She's the One

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Love notes and gift cards, baby.

Especially the love notes.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

You know I don't do stories but this one made me laugh out loud; I thought of you Martha and it goes for all the other teachers out there...enjoy!

Did you hear about the Texas teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his cowboy boots?

He asked for help and she could see why. Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on. Finally, when the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost cried when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong
feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

And, once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. And no sooner than they got the boots off and he said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear 'em."

Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry. But, she mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again. Helping him into his coat, she asked, "Now, where are your mittens?"

He said, "I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots."