A Question for Teachers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Y'know, we laugh because it's true.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
You know I don't do stories but this one made me laugh out loud; I thought of you Martha and it goes for all the other teachers out there...enjoy!

Did you hear about the Texas teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his cowboy boots?

He asked for help and she could see why. Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on. Finally, when the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost cried when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong
feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to.

And, once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. And no sooner than they got the boots off and he said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear 'em."

Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry. But, she mustered up the grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again. Helping him into his coat, she asked, "Now, where are your mittens?"

He said, "I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots."

Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 AM   #18
An Interferer

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
Chocolates
I came to post ^, because I actually received 2 boxes today.
Yummie!

Also got 3 cards and 1 gift card for a bookstore.

The first year I teached here, I was totally shocked by the gifts that I got, either around Christmas time or at the end of the schoolyear!!
Mostly, because I simply couldn't believe the $ amount on the giftcards!
Which was much higher than I expected.

I agree that it sure makes you feel appreciated.
But if I wouldn't receive anything at all, that would be OK too.

I know of schools where they have a "wish-tree" and instead of parents/children given presents to the teacher at the end of the schoolyear or when it's their birthday, parents/kids pick a card out of the "tree". On the card it'll say something that the teacher would like to have for in the classroom, which then gets bought.

I like this idea.
But haven't gotten around to doing it myself.

Other than the gift cards, postcards, chocolates, wine, some gifts I have received in the past, that haven't been mentioned here yet:

- flowers / plants
- candles / candle holders
- beauty products (bath salt or soap, parfum)

And there's probably more.
Which I can't remember at this time of day.

And I can't help, but about this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Starbucks giftcard
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Any type of coffee gift card is a sure winner too.
'Cause I actually got 2 Starbucks giftcards for Christmas.
But don't like or drink coffee at all.

Of course, you can get non coffee drinks at Starbucks too.
And I did buy a few of those drinks (hot chocolates and Strawberry & Cream or Vanilla Bean Frappucino's. ), but ended up giving the cards to my husband.
Who of course was quite pleased!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

As stated before, we ended up with 2 Starbucks giftcards. We have done gifts/giftcards in the past, no problem. Just wanted to get a teacher's perspective this time.

So my daughter wrote two letters, 1 to each teacher. One was so touching and sweet I teared up. She ever put a note on the top of the letter, that it might make the teacher cry. I believe she is my daughter's favorite (and vice versa), and this teacher is moving to the other middle-school in town next year. I just remember that at the beginning of the school year, maybe a month in, this teacher called me out of the blue just to say how wonderful & smart my daughter was and how much she enjoyed my daughter in her class. I was (pleasantly) surprised. Not about my girl but by the fact she took time out of her schedule (early evening) to call a parent and praise her. I think this teacher made my daughter feel more comfortable fitting into middle school, being her first year and all. My daughter thanked the teacher for having them write odes, because she wanted to write one about her grandfather (see journal 5/5). She said how she was nervous reading it to the class, but when she looked up she saw the teacher crying. It was quite touching

Ok, and enough tearing up for me this morning. The letter to the other teacher was for her math teacher, who is having a birthday today as well. She wrote the message out in code, so the teacher will have to solve the problem, and match the answer to a number puzzle My daughter will have her again next year as her elective. Her & her best friend really like her. She's young and cool and fashionable - probably kinda like a big sister.

Last day of school - oh my. Now 3 months of "I'm bored"
Then again, we have several friends who are teachers, and like most of you are counting the minutes til school is OUT!

She'll probably head back to her elementary school after her classes let out and harass the old 5th grade teacher, who they keep in touch with via email.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:19 AM   #20
An Interferer

Yeah, I read about the 2 Starbucks gift cards, before I wrote my post.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

for the letters.
Sounds like they're GREAT!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
gift cards are a great idea

I always liked the handwritten card by my students
Old 06-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
my daughter wrote two letters
love notes
Old 06-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Re: A Question for Teachers

Quote:
Being that it's the end of the school year, I'm sure many of the teachers receive gifts from students. As a parent... any suggestions of what you prefer? We are buying for 2 middle school teachers this year, and already have 1 Starbucks giftcard purchased. My daughter wanted to make something more personal for the other teacher, and I'm trying to steer her more towards a gift card.

Suggestions?
Hmm...I just got done with my 1st year of teaching (middle school level)...the first thing I bought after the end of the day was a bottle of vodka! So that's what I recommend.... haha
Old 06-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Re: A Question for Teachers

Quote:
Being that it's the end of the school year, I'm sure many of the teachers receive gifts from students. As a parent... any suggestions of what you prefer? We are buying for 2 middle school teachers this year, and already have 1 Starbucks giftcard purchased. My daughter wanted to make something more personal for the other teacher, and I'm trying to steer her more towards a gift card.

Suggestions?
Wow, your family sounds like the sort that any teacher would love to have as a part of their class. I just want to say, I really appreciate that you and your daughter are so thoughtful and considerate of us teachers. And from your later post, it's really great that your daughters wrote the letters. I can tell you that a heartfelt letter from a student means more than just about any gift on earth.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:15 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

thanks maycocksean

I think the teacher she wrote the special "love note" for appreciated it a lot. And she did cry - I think they might try & stay in touch. I think the teacher asked if she could call - I know my daughter can email her thru the district assigned email address. I'm sure the teachers just don't check them once school is out.

ImOuttaControl - enjoy the vodka