A question for Star Wars fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilli

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I was watching Return of The Jedi yesterday and noticed right at the end, when the "ghosts" of Yoda and Obi-Wan appear to Luke, there also appears to be an actor in this who looks incredibly like Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker. However he didn't appear to be listed in the credits, as Sebastian Shaw is listed as playing Anakin. :huh:

Did they add Hayden Christiansen or have i just dreamt this?:huh: :huh:

Yes, they added Hayden in place of Shaw's ghost at the end of Jedi in the remastered editions of the films. Some fans get incredibly worked up about this, but it really doesn't matter to me. :shrug: But yeah, that's him. ;)

Ah, thanks! I thought I was seeing things for a moment or amazingly Hayden Christiansen looked exactly like this actor.

I can well imagine some Star Wars fans getting a bit upset by this, though it kinda makes sense seeing as that is what Anakin looked like before he became Vader.

U2Girl1978 said:
George Lucas is a moron who should have left the original movies alone. Hayden Christensen sucked as Anakin BTW. Bah humbug.

If it really bugs you, there's a fan edit by ADigitalMan that restores Shaw as Anakin's ghost, along with altering a few of Lucas' low points.

i heard they released unedited versions this september with all that han shot first , anakin's ghost and blah , blah , blah

yeah, it really upset the star wars fan community..

kind of like when U2 re-recorded POP songs for the best of and it upset the U2 fan community.

Snowlock said:

Except why didn't Ben and Yoda appear as their younger selves?

Because I guess Vader technically died when he was relatively young... at least his spirit did. I mean he continued on as Vader, but only as a half man half robot. Where-as Ben and Yoda died when they were old.

It doesn't make sense that The Force would render Anakin's ghost looking like Sebastian Shaw, as he NEVER could have looked like that. At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Anakin is burned almost beyond recognition. He is missing three of four limbs, and has all of his hair burned off. When Luke removes Darth's helmet at the end of Jedi, he's hairless and pretty creepy looking, yet the Sebastian Shaw ghost has hair and looks pretty normal. Is this supposed to be some kind of Force Fantasy of what he WOULD have looked like?

It makes more sense that The Force would restore Anakin to the way he was before he was consumed by the Dark Side. But bitter fans who hate the prequels will find any reason to take another shot at Lucas and his choices (some of which, I'll admit, run the gamut from inspired to misguided to downright awful).

By replacing Shaw with Christiansen, it gives objective or newer viewers something to connect the trilogies together, and give that ending greater emotional weight.

I don't hear anyone complaining that the terrible-looking Emperor from Empire Strikes Back was replaced by Ian McDiarmid (the guy who played the Palpatine in 4 other films) for the DVD release. A great idea that ultimately affects the quality of the film more than the timing of Han Solo's gunshot.

it's all about redemption , remeber what happened to Dracula in very very end , he came back as he was before all the bad stuff happened

phanan said:

:up:

Really, this is the only thing I don't like that got changed. I don't mind everything else - I think the films work fine, but the Han/Greedo scene should never have been altered.

Ya I never understood the point of changing that.

I guess they changed it cause it made Han look like criminal. Which is ironic, cause he was a criminal. I guess not having him shoot first makes him more of a "moral" criminal, like a lovable rogue. It's stupid. Having him shoot first makes him look pragmatic and in control.

I didn't like Hayden Christensen at the end as Vader either. I preferred the Sebastian Shaw Vader since at the end of his life he did turn away from the dark side and kill the emperor and save his son.

For anyone looking for an indepth complete comparison of each edition, check out this site

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-one.html

There are four parts. Find links at the end of the article to the other parts.

david said:

Because I guess Vader technically died when he was relatively young... at least his spirit did. I mean he continued on as Vader, but only as a half man half robot. Where-as Ben and Yoda died when they were old.

Anakin never really died, though. Yes, he became Vader, and pretty much everyone gave up on him (Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc), but that's the entire point of ROTJ. Luke sensed that there was still good in him, that a small part of Anakin was still alive... Anakin finally comes back at the end, with Luke removing his helmet and him saying, "For once, let me look at you with my own eyes." Then Anakin Skywalker finally dies.

That's why, to me, it didn't make any sense for Lucas to insert Hayden into that shot at ROTJ. Technically, Anakin truly did return after saving Luke from the emperor, therefore redeeming himself.

:nerd:

Back
Top Bottom