A Question For Bob Dylan Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll take a wholely unique, captivating and ultimately flawed voice over a technically perfect but unremarkable one any day.

Do you know what's strange? His speaking voice isn't nearly as nasally as I'd always thought it was. Aside from the usual "thankyouverymuchgoodnight" bit at the end of his shows, I'd never heard him speak until I watched No Direction Home (which I highly recommend).

I went through a phase in my teens where I couldn't stand his voice, but then I realized that's part of what makes him so original. Not only is he America's very best songwriter (name a better one, I dare you--Springsteen is great, Lucinda Williams is great, Willie Nelson is great, but they're no Dylan), but he's never going to have anyone duplicate him and actually pull it off.

I love his songs, not his voice. As much as I hate cover music, I'm ok with it when people cover Bob Dylan music becuase of this...although that's not to say people can't butcher him.

You definitely get used to it. It did take me some time to warm up to his voice, but really, the songs speak for themselves, so he doesn't need a wonderful voice.

I got used to it, and now I actually think his voice is pretty good, and he definitely knows how to sing with it

I was surprised at how (dare I say it?) pleasant his voice is on his recent album "Modern Times."

The same way I stand Tom Waits' voice.

I just got used to it. To me now, it actually adds to the music.

I heard a segment on NPR today where listeners send in descriptions of people's voices, and Bob Dylan's was one of the voices being described. It was described as being "like an uneven sidewalk leading out of town" and "like a cross-country road trip in a car with no air conditioning".

:cool:

The only way I can listen to a Bob Dylan song is if someone else is covering it.

One of my favorite songs is The Pretenders version of Forever Young, I just heard the original about a year ago and thought it was terrible.

With a voice like sand and glue
Some words of truthful vengeance
They could pin us to the floor
Brought a few more people on
And put the fear in a whole lot more

I saw him yesterday in Berlin. Great voice but bad live-show....:(

last song he played was All along the Watchtower - that was great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom