A paranoid traveller and some burnt CDs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Alright folks, as I've no clue where to post this and rarely venture outside of EYKIW/Tour forums/FYM, I figured I'd grace here with what's probably a somewhat peculiar question.

I'm travelling to the US later this month to see U2 and visit friends, and I'd like to take my U2 bootlegs with me - some audio CDRs and a few DVD-Rs, inside a 25-disc CD carry case. However, with the all the security and whatnot, I'm rather nervous about this. I've never travelled outside of Australia or New Zealand and never travelled between the two with burnt discs. I'm worried about the CDs being discovered and being put in a difficult situation. Should I make sure they're unmarked discs? Do customs staff care? Would I be safer to take them on the plane with my carry-on luggage or put them in my suitcase? I know my suitcase might be opened anyway, as I'll be declaring food (Tim Tams :drool: ). Am I worrying for nothing?

Any information, advice, or personal experience is appreciated. And if this is the wrong forum ... oh well! Guess I'm getting out and being social in the Interference world.

No you're fine.

I worried about exactly the same thing on my last trip a year ago...

You're best to avoid the whole situation in it's entirety and put the cd case right at the bottom of any bags that are going to be searched.

But seriously... they don't care about these kinds of things with personal travelling. I would be much more worried that they will confiscate the Tim Tams.

If you are questioned this is what you say...

I'm travelling, I have the origionals at home, how dumb would I be to travel half way around the world with the origionals. Thats just asking for trouble.

Yep, CD's will be fine....its just the food you have to declare.

Although.....we took a Box of Tiny Teddies, and didnt declare them....Mum totally forgot about them, after the long flight.

Timothius, good idea - only flaw is I was planning on taking some official stuff and I really don't feel like burning extra copies of THAT! But I just might. Or travel solely with bootlegs, and hope there's no problem getting them on the plane.

And yeah, bono_man, I know the food's all I have to declare, but if they decide to search my bag and find the CDs or something of the sort - that's what I'm worried about.

AcrobatMan said:
Its ok with burnt CDs in UK and italy airports...put it in your suitcase..

not sure of USA...

for the past year, i've only travelled w/ my Ipod... but prior to that, i travelled w/ burnt CDs all the time. i carried them in my shoulder bag, which would be scanned through the x-ray machine before boarding the plane. i NEVER had anyone even look inside the CD case.

honestly, airport security is not so strict in the US as it appears. these people are concerned w/ finding explosives or weapons- i HIGHLY doubt they care at all about music piracy or copyright infringement. :)

that being said: wear clean socks! you will probably have to take off your shoes during a security check inside in the US... :wink:

have a safe trip!!!

pax said:
Ewen brought a bunch of burnt CDs to the States with no problems.

Yes, but only three or four and in the container amongst maybe twenty or so legit CDs.

I wouldn't worry. Most people do not know what is an official release and what isn't, and if they are burnt CD-Rs, there's nothing they can do anyway. They are considered for personal use only.

That's right, now that I think about it, you're allowed to make backups of CDs that you own. If a customs officer does give you hassle (they'd have to be really bored) just remind them of that and that you left your original copy at home (you "make copies for travelling to prevent damaging your originals" or something).

Last edited:
They won't care at all about CD's, even if every single one was a burned copy. As someone posted earlier, you're allowed to make copies of originals to prevent damage.

Just be sure to leave the explosives and drugs at home and you should be fine.

*Ally* said:

for the past year, i've only travelled w/ my Ipod... but prior to that, i travelled w/ burnt CDs all the time. i carried them in my shoulder bag, which would be scanned through the x-ray machine before boarding the plane. i NEVER had anyone even look inside the CD case.

honestly, airport security is not so strict in the US as it appears. these people are concerned w/ finding explosives or weapons- i HIGHLY doubt they care at all about music piracy or copyright infringement. :)

that being said: wear clean socks! you will probably have to take off your shoes during a security check inside in the US... :wink:

have a safe trip!!!

Exactly. They don´t care about CDs or copyright infringement, it´s just none of their business.

However, I found airport security to be quite rude and unprofessional on multiple occasions.

Make sure that anything you could potentially use as a weapon, such as nail scissors, are not in the hand luggage. They would take them away, and you´d never see them again (like they did with mine).

Make sure you never move away further than five or six feet from your hand luggage. Don´t close the luggage you send with any special additional lock, they are allowed to ruin your baggage if you do so. They might also ruin your baggage if you don´t have an extra lock but if they need more than five seconds to open it (like they did with mine, even if this is against the rules).

Don´t even think of making jokes about the security measures at the XRay machine or elsewhere. The nice U.S. officials may interprete that as sth. like federal offense. So everyone, keep your mouth shut, don´t laugh, this is a serious thing. Also, don´t take any photographs near the controls.

In all cases, if there are any troubles with your luggage, or if someone treats you unfriendly - like it happened to me quite often - contact the airline officials. Don´t waste time quarreling with the TSA (Transport Security Administration). You can get a paper and call their central office in order to leave a complaint, but it will not have any effect. However, even if the TSA is responsible, the airline will compensate you for damages done to your luggage, because the airlines don´t want their image to suffer.

Last edited:
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

However, I found airport security to be quite rude and unprofessional on multiple occasions.

Axver, be prepared to stand in line for an hour or so when going through 'immigration', every visitor to the US has to, and make sure you have the full address of where you will be staying or you will not be allowed to enter. You will have your fingerprints taken and also a photograph.

I arrived at JFK last Wednesday and found the immigration officers and other airport security staff to be extremely rude to foreign visitors. I've never been made to feel so unwelcome in any country. I fully understand why they have to do what they have to do but there's no need for their attitude. I was spoken to like I was a criminal. so, be prepared for that and just do as I did and bite your lip. Once past that you'll have a good time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm getting really nervous with all this customs stuff. I'm not a nervous traveller in most cases, but if I have to go through customs ... I hate it. At least when I fly between Australia and NZ, I can take comfort in the fact that I am a citizen of both countries.

I'm planning on taking my CD carry case with my live audio recordings and a few DVDs, along with a few U2 albums in their own cases and the best of Crowded House. I hope I have no problems with that. Would it be safer to just take the studio albums on the plane and put the case of burnt CDs in my suitcase, or doesn't it make any difference?

Does anyone know where there's a list of items you aren't allowed to take on the plane? I looked up sites for tips for Aussie travellers going to the US and couldn't find anything. I'll be flying internally within the US (Nashville to Boston) to see U2 and plan on travelling light (i.e. just carry-on luggage) and I want to know what I'll be able to take with me.

Geez, I'm just so nervous. I don't want anything to go wrong. Come on, I'm 18, no criminal record, won't be carrying anything illegal ... I'm trying to reassure myself.

Axver said:
I'm planning on taking my CD carry case with my live audio recordings and a few DVDs, along with a few U2 albums in their own cases and the best of Crowded House. I hope I have no problems with that. Would it be safer to just take the studio albums on the plane and put the case of burnt CDs in my suitcase, or doesn't it make any difference?

Geez, I'm just so nervous. I don't want anything to go wrong. Come on, I'm 18, no criminal record, won't be carrying anything illegal ... I'm trying to reassure myself.l

The only crime you will be commiting is taking only one Crowded House CD.

timothius said:

The only crime you will be commiting is taking only one Crowded House CD.

I only have one. :sad:

Maybe I'll buy a couple for the trip. Where I say 'buy', I mean convince some nice relative to buy them for me out of pity of the long flight.

Back
Top Bottom