A new Smiths fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro_chik

Refugee
I'm starting to really like The Smiths... It's a shame I didn't get into them earlier, but I was only 2 when they broke up. S'anyways, I've been listening to the 2 Best Of volumes, and I think I'm ready to buy some cds. What's a good first cd to buy?

i was just about to recommend hatful of hollow as well. The queen is dead is also great though. Get them both. ;)

If anyone is interested, Spin writer Marc Spitz just wrote a book about the Smiths...it's partly fictional and it was a fun read. It's called How Soon Is Never?

SMITHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Queen is Dead is a must, then I'd go for their first album (the self-titled one) :up:

Hatful of Hollow is just a compilation cd, and since you have both of the greatest hits cd's, you'd already have a good majority of those songs. May as well go for the real albums :up:

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
SMITHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Queen is Dead is a must, then I'd go for their first albume (the self-titled one) :up:

Hatful of Hollow is just a compilation cd, and since you have both of the greatest hits cd's, you'd already have a good majority of those songs. May as well go for the real albums :up:
i didn't even pay attn to you having the greatest hits already, oops.
So I'm going to go ahead and suggest another one that is probably not the best 'first' album to get, but...i really like 'Rank.' It's a live recording...I think it's great. :)

jkayet said:
i didn't even pay attn to you having the greatest hits already, oops.
So I'm going to go ahead and suggest another one that is probably not the best 'first' album to get, but...i really like 'Rank.' It's a live recording...I think it's great. :)

I still dont have Rank!!!!! :mad:

u2popmofo said:

I still dont have Rank!!!!! :mad:
I really like it, although I'm probably biased b/c it was the first album that i really listened to, start to end. I had heard songs from the others, of course, but never fully listened to a complete album before that one.

sadly, the only smiths album i own is the queen is dead, so if i echo everyone and tell you to get that, it's because it's the only one i really know from beginning to end.

but it's fuckin great.

Thanks for the tips everyone. :wink:

Hopefully I'll pick up The Queen Is Dead later on today to start off my collection.

I just picked up this month's Spin with Morrissey on the cover. Coincidentally, they have a list in there called 'Smiths albums that you must own (in order)':

1. The Queen Is Dead
2. Louder Than Bombs
3. The Smiths
4. Hatful Of Hollow
5. Strangeways, Here We Come

Yes, The Queen Is Dead is one of the most important rock albums ever (really).

I'm always disappointed by how low on such lists Strangeways is, though. Way underrated imho.

Back
Top Bottom