A New Low For EBay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I collect funeral cards, of my family and friends, but collect them nonetheless. They dont have a corspe on them or anything. Just normally a poem or a bit from the bible. Something touching.

Death is not the big taboo for everyone. Like I said, theres nothing gory or insensitive on a funeral card. Theyre usually pretty bland.

peace

Edited: Just looked at it again. It appears to be a photo on both sides. A very well produced funeral card. I have never seen one with such clear graphics nor that big. It looks like it is postcard size. What a beautiful touching momento. :up:

Last edited:
You'd be better off going to a Clash message board and offering it to somebody for free, not selling it. It just seems so wrong to sell it.

Bonochick said:
You'd be better off going to a Clash message board and offering it to somebody for free, not selling it. It just seems so wrong to sell it.

Yes, okay. Its the selling bit you guys are objecting to? I dont want to get into a flame war but why? Whats the difference between selling this and selling an issue of Propaganda? Shouldnt anyone with an issue of Propaganda, George Harrisons guitar, or Elton Johns glasses offer them for free on a message board?

peace

Last edited:
This is something from such a personal, private event though. It just seems wrong. I don't know, mayhaps I'm too sensitive.

Bonochick said:
This is something from such a personal, private event though. It just seems wrong. I don't know, mayhaps I'm too sensitive.

Agreed. It's rather like when the photos from Bob Hewson's funeral were posted online, isn't it? Maybe that's a bit harsher, though.

Bonochick said:

That's exactly it... personal and private. It's not like a guitar or an issue of propaganda... it's like selling John Lennon's Blood-stained glasses from the day of his murder (Which if i'm not wrong showed up there too!!) . (I don't know... to me it feels like that!)

Papparazi (sp?) photos in general I can understand. Thats not very fair to take photos of celebs crying, eating, picking their nose, etc.

But this is a piece of cardboard. I dont see it as any different to any other publication.

Deaths not a taboo in my household.

beli said:

Deaths not a taboo in my household.

I agree...it's not taboo in my house either and I also agree with what you said that maybe the seller wanted a Clash fan to have it but then why not start the bid at a penny or go to a Clash/Joe Strummer message board and offer to give it away. They started the bid pretty high. If they weren't out to profit on his death they could have gone lower. A lot lower.

*warning long rambling post imminent*

Im into family history /geneology in a big way. Funeral cards are actually really difficult to come by as people at funerals are usually to out of it, understandably, to think to keep the cards.

My hubby used to work in a paper recycling plant, and would receive boxes of possessions from deceased estates - old war records, depression era food coupons, etc. All sorts of things that tell the history of both the deceased individual and the times he/she lived in. Some families throw this away.

I have even heard of one family throwing Nanas family photo album into the coffin with her as her will expressely forbade the family to sell or give away her photos.

If these people had of given away or sold these items then some of the items at least might still be kept.

I feel the same way about Joe Strummers funeral card. Its a little piece of history that someone needs to keep. If the owner didnt want to keep it, he/she could have thrown it in the bin the way so many many people do.

Yes, he/she made a profit but Im just glad its still around.

The past is thrown out to often I feel

/melancholy bit

Beli - my family has always collected funeral cards

at a younger age I played poker with The Lives of the Saints cards - not my finest hour but I did learn who was the patron saint of what.

Agreed that keeping someone's memory alive is what is important here - just wish the seller wasn't so crash about it

Perhaps the seller was broke. That's usually why I sell on eBay.

And if the seller went to a Clash site to offer it free...how to decide who gets it? Have a contest? That's pretty crass too.

And I'm sure Joe would have gotten a big laugh out of it.

indra said:

And if the seller went to a Clash site to offer it free...how to decide who gets it? Have a contest? That's pretty crass too.

People in the All I Want Is U2 forums offer freebies all the time to the first one to answer the post.

arw9797 said:

People in the All I Want Is U2 forums offer freebies all the time to the first one to answer the post.

Well, just think of this one as going to the first one to answer the post and pony up the cash. :)

Yeah that is kind of low when you think about it however there is some people who collect memorabilia like that. To be honest, I would bid out of interest 'cause I collect rock and roll collectables.

indra said:
Perhaps the seller was broke. That's usually why I sell on eBay.

And I'm sure Joe would have gotten a big laugh out of it.

I agree, when I am broke I sell a lot on e-bay 'cause there is someone out there who may want my crap that I can afford to keep.

Back
Top Bottom