A New Candidate for Worst Franchise in Sports Emerges... The Arizona Diamondbacks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Wally Backman was manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks for less than a week.

The Arizona Republic reported on its Web site Friday morning that Backman, who got the job on Monday, had been fired.

"I'm stunned, so is my family, so is everybody," Backman told the Republic. "I'm not prepared to say anything today but I will definitely have a statement [soon]."

The East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune reported Friday that Bob Melvin would replace Backman, who was fired after public revelations about previous legal troubles.

The team scheduled a 1 p.m. ET news conference.

Melvin, along with Manny Acta and Backman, was a finalist for the job.

Melvin was Arizona's bench coach before he left to manage the Mariners for the last two seasons, and Backman managed Arizona's Class A team in Lancaster, Calif., this season.

A Tuesday apology by Backman apparently wasn't enough for the team, which acknowledged that it had not done a thorough background check and didn't know about the brushes with the law.

Backman acknowledged that he was arrested in 2001 after an altercation with a female family friend at his home in Prineville, Ore. He said he agreed to plead guilty to fourth-degree assault. He was placed on 12 months' probation, ordered to undergo an anger management evaluation and donated $1,000 to the local Boys and Girls Club.

Backman was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence in Kennewick, Wash., in 1999, when he was manager of the Tri-City franchise of the independent Western League. He said he fought the charge for two years before pleading guilty.

He also has had financial problems, and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last year, The Arizona Republic reported. Backman said many of the financial problems, including several tax liens he said he has paid, were caused by dealings of his then-wife that he was unaware of.

The Diamondbacks fired manager Bob Brenly on July 2 and replaced him with Al Pedrique, the former third base coach.

Young rich owners that think they know everything but don't have a clue. Keep an eye on this franchise for more comical, mind-boggling mistakes. I'd also like to add that these idiots promised not to have a fire-sale after the 2001 championship but would have been much better off if they had. Now they're strappped with money problems AND a team lacking talent and identity.

I guess they don't run background checks on their own employees......I would've thought that would have been flagged but again, OJ was found Not guilty...

Back
Top Bottom